SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. UMD Bulldogs - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2016/02/und-2-umd-1-video-highlights.html

UMD played a good road game. They're also fighting for their season, UMD probably needs to run the table to make the NCAA tourney. I don't see that happening. I would be surprise if they make the NCHC Frozen Faceoff. UND is probably in the NCAA tourney, barring a meltdown.  

I will defer to the Pairwise Rankings Guru for actual stats. 

4 hours ago, SiouxTupa said:

A win is rarely, if ever, a letdown. They allowed 1 goal tonight. UMD is a veteran team and played a very hard road game. It's a big deal that UND was able to grind out a full 3 pt win.

Thats so cute. The athetic & department would be so proud of you!

Sandy in Herald "Don't agree with the call at the end" on penalty shot. One would expect as a HC he says that but if he honestly believes that that is another issue. No other call should/could have been made if one actually watched the play of the UMD player basically making no play on the puck and just deliberately taking out Pogo's legs from behind.

8 hours ago, Biddco said:

We're not horrible. 

I agree.   I was wondering how the heck UMD's record is not a whole lot better.   (Last night, anyway,) They play good team hockey, they possess the puck well, they force opponents well meaning they get it back, and they are generally tough to play against.   Before the game, I thought "goaltending!" must be their weakness but Kaskisuo was solid last night.   I'm totally perplexed.

All I know is I would rather play just about anyone else - ABD - in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

I agree.   I was wondering how the heck UMD's record is not a whole lot better.   (Last night, anyway,) They play good team hockey, they possess the puck well, they force opponents well meaning they get it back, and they are generally tough to play against.   Before the game, I thought "goaltending!" must be their weakness but Kaskisuo was solid last night.   I'm totally perplexed.

All I know is I would rather play just about anyone else - ABD - in the playoffs.

Just can't score like you'd expect them too. It's the damnest thing. People keep saying they don't want to play us or they'll figure it out. Been waiting for them to figure it out since October. Don't see it happening. 

Some random musings from a witness to last night's win. 

*UND dug out an ugly win and sometimes in a good/great season wins like this say as much about a team's character as the pretty games do.

*CBS line just hasn't seemed to gel since Duluth series in December.  Ever since World Juniors/Injuries, this trio hasn't been at the level they were in the first half.

*Kudos to Duluth's D for causing some havoc last night. They are a desperate team who played a winning game; limiting UND's shots on goal.  This game was huge for the Dogs, per Schloss, a win would have put them at 16 in pair wise, instead they are 25.

*Troy Stecher's physical and mental effort is among the best I have ever seen on this team.  It doesn't appear all on this team are there and that needs to change now if we plan to watch these guys in April. 

*St. Cloud is playing better right now.  Crazy things need to happen for them to slow down, although NoDak has more games left at home (3 compared to their 2).

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Biddco said:

Then take out your banners. same logic right?

Can't tell if you're trolling or genuine, but no.  Banners, which every team hangs from the rafters, are not comparable to listing a lone national championship that is long in the rear view mirror on a piece of paper.  It's tacky and anyone capable of being objective (so likely not any Gopher fans) will agree.  

P.S. Did you read Brad's Tweet that Duluth would have been 15th in the pairwise had they won?  Do us a favor and make sure dog-faced Donna puts that in her pipe and smokes it.

I just watched last nights game again. The Johnson penalty is an iffy one. The guy was basically leaning on him for 3 or 4 seconds so he couldn't get up then the guy started skating away then Johnson jabbed him in a get off me sort of way. Johnson shouldn't done it but it's not something I wouldv thought would be called after all the sh*t that had been going on

• Upvote 3