SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. UMD Bulldogs - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

If what Soucy did is acceptable, why not just open field tackle the guy?

I have no problem with more penalty shots being called. We're at the point now where defenders are taking guys down expecting to not be called and that's not safe for the offensive player, the defender, or the goalie (as they could get caught up in the out of control crash. 

I think you are right.  They might want to change the phrasing in the rules though, as I am sure there are circumstances where  a player is flat-footed and the opposing player at full speed and taken down, but hardly considered from behind.  Without the penalty, you would have a breakaway, so maybe they just need to word the rule a little differently. 

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

You know, looking at it again, at our blueline  Poganski was kind of interfered with as well which slowed him a bit, preventing it from being even a bigger gap.  Would Duluth have been happy with a 5 on 3 powerplay instead?

I have a feeling that at 3 games under .500 Duluth won't be happy about anything this year.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I have a feeling that at 3 games under .500 Duluth won't be happy about anything this year.

No, probably not, but I can understand their frustration with that call, because it really could have gone either way. Everything has kind of been Murphy's law for Duluth this year though. 

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

No, probably not, but I can understand their frustration with that call, because it really could have gone either way. Everything has kind of been Murphy's law for Duluth this year though. 

Meh, if I'm Duluth I'm more upset that we didn't threaten to score on the 2 minute minor handed to them at the beginning of the OT.  I'd also be upset that with a veteran team picked to win the conference, they are vastly underperforming.

15 hours ago, Blackheart said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....Your picture proves nothing; it shows him right before he tackled Poganski.  He also made no play on the puck.  We have some lovely parting gifts for you though.  Tell him what he's won Johnny!

This angle (from the referee's perspective -- unobstructed and 10 feet from the play) appears to show Pogo ahead of the Dog when hit from behind.  I can see why it was called.  But enough said... and I can't believe I'm defending a ref. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHrNQYJ7q6c

4 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Meh, if I'm Duluth I'm more upset that we didn't threaten to score on the 2 minute minor handed to them at the beginning of the OT.  I'd also be upset that with a veteran team picked to win the conference, they are vastly underperforming.

Why would we be more upset with that? Our PP is worse than UND's, they weren't going to score. 

17 hours ago, Ranger said:

This angle (from the referee's perspective -- unobstructed and 10 feet from the play) appears to show Pogo ahead of the Dog when hit from behind.  I can see why it was called.  But enough said... and I can't believe I'm defending a ref. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHrNQYJ7q6c

Excellent observation here.

I have mostly seen the angle from the other side of the rink, and I have understood the argument that Poganski was not ahead of the defender when this play was made.    From the angle in the video above, the angle from which the referee saw this action, it looks much more clear Poganski was about to walk the Dman and get to the net clean.