SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Can anyone clarify the NCHC tie breakers. Looks like we have the same number of points as Omaha, have beat them 3 out of 4, but are still stuck behind them.

http://www.nchchockey.com/tie-breakers

1.   If two or more teams are tied in the standings and all teams have played a balanced scheduled against one another (equal number of home and away games between all teams tied), the seeding for the NCHC Tournament shall be determined by the team with the best NCHC regular-season winning percentage among the games played against the other teams tied in the standings.

Looks like UND should be ranked ahead of UNO based on head-to-head.

Edit: Just confirmed with the NCHC that UND has the tiebreaker.  The issue with the NCHC website is that it can't compute head-to-head so at this point, it sorts first by Points and second by winning percentage.

13 minutes ago, southpaw said:

http://www.nchchockey.com/tie-breakers

Looks like UND should be ranked ahead of UNO based on head-to-head.

Edit: Just confirmed with the NCHC that UND has the tiebreaker.  The issue with the NCHC website is that it can't compute head-to-head so at this point, it sorts first by Points and second by winning percentage.

good deal, thanks

On 2/27/2017 at 11:21 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

Agreed. Thing that frustrates me the most is that with a win on Saturday, we'd be off the bubble. EVERYONE lost. Ugh.

Looking a the clump of 11 - 20 and their games this week:

11 -- ND ... HE Tournament NEXT WEEK. No regular season left.
12 -- Providence ... HE Tournament first round, UMass. UND needs UMass to win these games, big time, obviously.
13 -- Wisco ... @PSU ... PSU is ahead of them in the PWR and this looks like a split weekend, to me.
14 -- Clown ... Home vs. CC ... Go Tigers. CC gets a split, that's huge for us.
15 -- OSU ... Home vs. MSU ... Eff.
16 -- UND ... Must sweep @ Miami
17 -- Omaha ... Home against DU. I see the Pios absolutely rolling them. Just my opinion.
18 -- AF ... Off next. Probably going to win the Atlantic tourney. We'll see.
19 -- VT ... Home vs. Maine in the HE Tourney first round. Go Black Bears. 
20 -- BC ... BC is gonna need to win the HE Tourney.

So, this week... Hope UMass gives us a surprise, hope PSU takes a home sweep, get a split from CC and sweep Miami, we're going to have a shot. If MSU can get one against OSU, that would be sweet.

Gotta be a huge Michigan State fan this weekend- 

• Upvote 2

UND wins two this weekend and not only plays at home for the NCHC first round, they also likely move from 16 to 11-13 in the pairwise, with a better chance of winning home games for the NCHC first round the next week:

http://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/

This team feels too young to go deep into the NCAA tournament this year, but it would be nice to see them make it there and get some experience for the younger guys.

• Upvote 1

Just now, johndahl said:

UND wins two this weekend and not only plays at home for the NCHC first round, they also likely move from 16 to 11-13 in the pairwise, with a better chance of winning home games for the NCHC first round the next week:

http://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/

This team feels too young to go deep into the NCAA tournament this year, but it would be nice to see them make it there and get some experience for the younger guys.

Agreed, that the team (the way they have been playing lately), does not look like a team poised to make a deep run. Though sometimes those are the teams that can surprise you. Ultimately, I just want to see them get there. And I agree it is extremely valuable experience.

As for this team being capable of making a run in the tournament, it is certainly hard to feel too optimistic. Look at how tough it was for UND to get by Denver in the Frozen Four last year, and with the talented team we had too.

I'm just going to keep holding out hope that the guys come together and find a way to make the tournament.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Oh man, you missed the Marto goal then?  ;)

I am going to go see him and Saunders play Saturday night. Colorado Eagles vs South Carolina Stingrays. The Avs suck and the Eagles are on top of their division...plus tickets and beer are cheap!

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

They need to get in for the sake of future bids, too. The crowds at the last regional in Fargo made our next bid a slam dunk. We need to be there to retain the path of least resistance to the frozen four.  Imagine if Denver is the closest team that plays there...shudder.

Tickets are sold.  That's what the NCAA cares about.

22 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, that the team (the way they have been playing lately), does not look like a team poised to make a deep run. Though sometimes those are the teams that can surprise you. Ultimately, I just want to see them get there. And I agree it is extremely valuable experience.

As for this team being capable of making a run in the tournament, it is certainly hard to feel too optimistic. Look at how tough it was for UND to get by Denver in the Frozen Four last year, and with the talented team we had too.

I'm just going to keep holding out hope that the guys come together and find a way to make the tournament.

It's rare for a team to make a run to the NCAA title without a few scares.  I'm just happy we were never trailing in the Frozen Four. In fact, I think the only time we trailed in the tourney was to Northeastern at the very beginning of the game.

In the title game, I kept expecting Quinnipiac to make a push and it never happened. Didn't let my guard down we were up 5-1 with about 30 seconds when it was almost physically impossible to score 4 goals.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

Let me get this right.  We're pinning our hopes on teams ranked 36, 53, and 58 in the pairwise, with a collective record of 18-69-9, and all of them play on the road against ranked teams?

So, you're saying there's a chance.....

:lol:

All it takes is a hot goalie on the other end of the rink and anybody has a chance.

On 3/1/2017 at 0:14 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

MSU

CC

UMASS

Noted....Big fan of these guys for the next few days

11 hours ago, SJHovey said:

Let me get this right.  We're pinning our hopes on teams ranked 36, 53, and 58 in the pairwise, with a collective record of 18-69-9, and all of them play on the road against ranked teams?

???