SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

Moy's Bracketology on USCHO.com has UND on the outside looking in.

His rationale is that Boston College is the "conference winner" of the Big East as their win percentage is higher (played fewer games).  The way the Eagles have looked the past couple of weekends it would be a stretch to see them coming out of that tournament but then again....that's why they lace 'em up.

North Dakota needs wins and help.  The only bracket that matters anyway is Sunday morning, March 19th.

Dislaimer: This is freakin' depressing read: http://www.uscho.com/bracketology/2017/02/22/if-ncaa-tournament-started-today-whos-in-and-whos-out/#ixzz4ZRUfDoDS

West Regional (Fargo):
13 Ohio State vs. 2 Minnesota-Duluth
12 St. Cloud State vs. 8 Massachusetts-Lowell

or

West Regional (Fargo):
15 Boston College vs. 4 Minnesota
12 St. Cloud State vs. 8 Massachusetts-Lowe

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GoalieMask said:

Moy's Bracketology on USCHO.com has UND on the outside looking in.

His rationale is that Boston College is the "conference winner" of the Big East as their win percentage is higher (played fewer games).  The way the Eagles have looked the past couple of weekends it would be a stretch to see them coming out of that tournament but then again....that's why they lace 'em up.

North Dakota needs wins and help.  The only bracket that matters anyway is Sunday morning, March 19th.

Dislaimer: This is freakin' depressing read: http://www.uscho.com/bracketology/2017/02/22/if-ncaa-tournament-started-today-whos-in-and-whos-out/#ixzz4ZRUfDoDS

West Regional (Fargo):
13 Ohio State vs. 2 Minnesota-Duluth
12 St. Cloud State vs. 8 Massachusetts-Lowell

or

West Regional (Fargo):
15 Boston College vs. 4 Minnesota
12 St. Cloud State vs. 8 Massachusetts-Lowe

They don't need wins and help, just winning their final 4 games would put them in.  Possibly, even with a 1st round exit.

But a little help wouldn't hurt for some breathing room!

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The mood here is probably about the same as the Colorado College message board..."No worries all we have to do is win the nchc tournament and we'll be in where we'll do some damage like we did to the North Dakota this season."

Finally getting the respect we deserve. THE University of North Dakota!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

When I look at Jim's projection/what's it take board, teams that need to better than their "to date" winning percentage are in trouble. 

UND needs to go 0.750 and is 0.533 overall.

That's a problem. 

http://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/

That's deep

7 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

@chranked: More fun with PWR volatility - a win for UND in either its loss to Minnesota or Michigan State would have them at #7 instead of #14

Why did you have to post this?!

:lol: @MafiaMan

Seriously though...That cannot be accurate....? They are still 3 for their last 10, how can one of those two games  double their power?

12 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

@chranked: More fun with PWR volatility - a win for UND in either its loss to Minnesota or Michigan State would have them at #7 instead of #14

1 minute ago, bigskyvikes said:

Seriously though...That cannot be accurate....? They are still 3 for their last 10, how can one of those two games  double their power?

Groan...

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

Not to get a win vs Sparty in 2 tries is and was an embarrassment. If that weekend keeps UND out of the NCAA tournament................

MSU is 50 out of 60 in the Pairwise with just 6 wins.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

That's how it is for a lot of bubble teams. IIRC Minnesota only needed one more win the last couple of times they missed the tournament to push them comfortably in. Non-conference losses are bad...non-conference losses to bad teams are horrible. 

14 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

@GFG Yep, the effect of losses to teams ranked 40 amd below is a nuclear bomb to NCAA tournament hopes.  I had hoped that MSU would get a few more wins after that UND series - instead, they went on a double-digit losing streak!

Just for fun a guy on GPL tinkered with it as well and found that if Minnesota didn't completely collapse against SCSU just one night and had beaten Northeastern they'd be #1 overall right now. 

I've said it for years and I'll continue to say it, but I'm personally not a huge fan of the pairwise. It's not terrible by any means, I'm just not a huge fan. I like that non-conference games have importance, but in my personal opinion they're weighted to heavily in the pairwise when compared to the amount of non-conference games actually played. Especially in today's age of college hockey where there's so much parity. I don't know how I'd fix it or what would be a better solution, but some discussion about it might be fun. It would be interesting to hear Jim Dahl's thoughts on it as well.

Edit: On a side note, due to the parity in college hockey, I've been thinking the last few years that it would be fun to expand the tournament to 20 teams. I know it's a lot of teams, but there aren't many sports out there with parity like college hockey. Especially in a one and done tournament.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GFG said:

Just for fun a guy on GPL tinkered with it as well and found that if Minnesota didn't completely collapse against SCSU just one night and had beaten Northeastern they'd be #1 overall right now. 

I've said it for years and I'll continue to say it, but I'm personally not a huge fan of the pairwise. It's not terrible by any means, I'm just not a huge fan. I like that non-conference games have importance, but in my personal opinion they're weighted to heavily in the pairwise when compared to the amount of non-conference games actually played. Especially in today's age of college hockey where there's so much parity. I don't know how I'd fix it or what would be a better solution, but some discussion about it might be fun. It would be interesting to hear Jim Dahl's thoughts on it as well.

He's wrong....Minnesota would only be in third in the Pairwise.

• Upvote 1