SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Strange how Lacrosse bumps College hockey on ESPN when you say college hockey has "better" TV ratings and bring in more revenue...

Lacrosse didn't bump college hockey because they thought lacrosse was more appealing. Almost every broadcast entity will finish broadcasting the end of 1 game before switching to the beginning of another game, no matter what the sport. The end of the game is the most important part of the game. That has been the policy going back to the Heidi football game in the 1960's. Sometimes they can push the start time back for the next game, but the network is almost always going to keep showing a game until it ends. They try to leave time between games, but overtime or slow moving games sometimes go longer than planned.

One exception is the NFL policy. They allow the networks to go to the start of an NFL game in limited home markets. For instance, if Fox is showing a double header on Sunday afternoon, and the Vikings are playing in the second game, the Vikings home region would go to the start of the Vikings game while all other viewers would stay with the first game.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I would love to be in the same conference as UMN to reconnect the best rivalry in college hockey but not if it means going to the BIG10.  I feel like we'd be giving up 5 good/developing rivalries with UMD, DU, Miami, SCSU, and UNO to gain 1 great rivalry in UMN. It's the same issue UMN is currently facing in the BIG, our fans would not be very excited about playing MSU, PSU, and OSU four times each year.

For much of college hockey history, UND's top rivals have been Minnesota and Wisconsin. Michigan, and even Michigan State were also long time rivals when they played in the WCHA (many younger posters may not even realize that). UND was recognized as being part of the top level of college hockey when they first beat Michigan more than 65 years ago. Denver, and to a lesser extent Duluth, have been strong opponents off and on over the years. St Cloud only has about 20 years of history playing in DI. Omaha has less. And Miami has only recently become a regular opponent.

Most of the Big 10 programs are going to regain their strength, and they will be major players in college hockey. Personally I would rather be in a conference with major rivals than build rivalries with schools like Omaha and St Cloud. I just can't get as excited about playing those schools as playing Minnesota and Wisconsin. I would hope that UND could stay associated with Denver and Duluth in some way. Of course none of this discussion really makes much difference because the chances of the Big 10 trying to add UND is very, very small.

• Upvote 3

On 4/26/2016 at 2:03 PM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Obviously it will be the hottest ticket in town, they're playing the defending national champions :D

Remember this is the U of Minnesota we're talking about.   Half their fans will think the Gophers are defending national champions.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Personally I would rather be in a conference with major rivals than build rivalries with schools like Omaha and St Cloud. 

You are the company you keep. Given the chance I'd like to hang outwith other universities with Medical and Law schools. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:33 PM, siouxkid12 said:

Miami of Ohio has History of Success, they have a bigger endowment then UND and their location is a lot better then UND's. 

Seriously, I'm not being glib but Miami of OH has "History of Success" as regards hockey?.  Define "History" (length of time) and trophies?  To me it seems like they've had several seasons nice run but even that's got some splatters (e.g. this season).  Maybe being a Sioux hockey fan we're spoiled/higher standards maybe.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Remember this is the U of Minnesota we're talking about.   Half their fans will think the Gophers are defending national champions.

Well they did win the Little 6 regular season title. :)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I would love to be in the same conference as UMN to reconnect the best rivalry in college hockey but not if it means going to the BIG10.  I feel like we'd be giving up 5 good/developing rivalries with UMD, DU, Miami, SCSU, and UNO to gain 1 great rivalry in UMN. It's the same issue UMN is currently facing in the BIG, our fans would not be very excited about playing MSU, PSU, and OSU four times each year.

It wouldn't be just one great rivalry. It would reunite us with Wisconsin, who would be considered our 2nd biggest rival by a significant portion of the fanbase. A rivalry with Michigan would develop very quickly considering we have the 2 best college hockey histories. The one rivalry that we lose that I would miss is Denver. SCSU and Duluth are both nice rivalries but nothing special. UNO wouldn't be a loss. Once Blais retires they will go back to being nobodies. What's the difference between Notre Dame and Miami? Both programs had little/no success prior to the 2003-2004 season and have recently gone to the tournament more often than not. They both have made 2 frozen fours and lost 1 championship game. They have the same success and neither has much history with UND. WMU is Ohio State. Teams with no history and hold no interest from our fan base. MSU is CC. Both have been terrible for the past few seasons and both have had a significant history with UND. The MSU history isn't as expansive as CC but they probably carry very similar interest levels for UND. 

Long post short; I would take Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan St., and Notre Dame over the five you listed. 

Plus Madison and Minneapolis are just as easy to drive to as Omaha and St. Cloud. Two driveable locations for 3. 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Goon said:

The coaches in the league, pretty much say the same thing. If my math is correct, in three seasons, the NCHC has had 5 teams in the Frozen Four. That's pretty impressive. I see no reason to move to another conference. I also see no reason to add any more teams. I like the current status quo.

Things will change, B1G will pluck a team from someone. ASU will join somewhere, AF might move, etc.

45 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Things will change, B1G will pluck a team from someone. ASU will join somewhere, AF might move, etc.

Air Force isn't going to move. They want to be in the same conference as Army.

16 minutes ago, Goon said:

Air Force isn't going to move. They want to be in the same conference as Army.

More importantly, they want to compete on a yearly basis.  Atlantic Hockey is their only chance to make the tournament.  They can hold their own in one or two games vs higher competition, but over the length of a season they would be a bottom feeder consistently.

• Upvote 4

On 2/5/2016 at 11:07 PM, Cratter said:

I'd rather not play Minnesota.  It's an unhealthy rivalry. UND needs to keep focusing on getting itself better for tournament time and not get ingrained with beating a rival.

Was it not focusing on beating a rival?

Was it being battled tested in a great conference?

Was it the new coach?

Was it the renovated Ralph?

#UNDwilllsoonhavethemostbannersincollegehockey

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewUNDAlum said:

Not for me.  If the B1G offers we go.  Only reason we stay is if we aren't guaranteed a permanent slot as an affiliate member.

If the financial terms are up to snuff. We cannot afford to get screwed in any arrangement with the B1G. Otherwise, they can go pound sand.....well, you know where. ;)

13 hours ago, NewUNDAlum said:

Not for me.  If the B1G offers we go.  Only reason we stay is if we aren't guaranteed a permanent slot as an affiliate member.

We could never get a garanteed slot as an affiliate member. If other B10 schools start hockey we would be the first to be told to pound sand. 

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

We could never get a garanteed slot as an affiliate member. If other B10 schools start hockey we would be the first to be told to pound sand. 

Eventually, the Big Ten may have hockey divisions anyway.  A western division of Minnie, Sconnie, Iowa, Huskers, and Illinois would offer better road series than Ohio St, Penn St, and Rutgers.

If Notre Dame will still broadcast it's games on NBC Sports channel, Fox Sports North would probably offer well in excess of what we get from the NCHC / CBS Sports, especially if we played a Big Ten schedule.