SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NDSU

SWSiouxMN

I guess I didn't see what exactly happen to warrant Jones getting the T.  I mean I saw the play that led to it, but not the direct actions is to what led to the T.

However, that T gave NDSU all the momentum in the world as the Khy went off and we went ice cold and got a little out of control (making only 3 shots and getting most of our points at the line).

I guess I didn't see what exactly happen to warrant Jones getting the T.  I mean I saw the play that led to it, but not the direct actions is to what led to the T.

However, that T gave NDSU all the momentum in the world as the Khy went off and we went ice cold and got a little out of control (making only 3 shots and getting most of our points at the line).

I wasn't surprised at all when he got T'd up there, I could see it coming.  He did everything but run to center court and pound on the floor with his fists.  He lost his composure as badly as I have ever seen him do so.  I didn't think the technical ended up hurting as much as you did.  Astonishingly, Jacobson missed both FTs and the T really fired up the crowd.  I think NDSU had trimmed the lead to 6 by that point and the momentum had already been squarely on the side of the Bison before it.  That is why I thought getting T'd up at that point was so bad.  You can easily see why the players, as talented as a lot of them are, can lose focus and be out of control at times when their head coach can't keep it together in such a critical situation.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't surprised at all when he got T'd up there, I could see it coming.  He did everything but run to center court and pound on the floor with his fists.  He lost his composure as badly as I have ever seen him do so.  I didn't think the technical ended up hurting as much as you did.  Astonishingly, Jacobson missed both FTs and the T really fired up the crowd.  I think NDSU had trimmed the lead to 6 by that point and the momentum had already been squarely on the side of the Bison before it.  That is why I thought getting T'd up at that point was so bad.  You can easily see why the players, as talented as a lot of them are, can lose focus and be out of control at times when their head coach can't keep it together in such a critical situation.

My view sight block seeing what happen (I thought it was Geno that got the T at first but then the ref made the c sign).  My thoughts were at that situation was while the lead was shrinking they still were getting mini-runs to pump it back up to 9-10.  We needed a calming effect to a young team, not something to make the situation worse. 

My 1 big takeaway from all of this:  Quntion Hooker will more than likely go down as the best player at the d-1 level at UND.  It would be nice if he would ever get rewarded for his time here at UND with a trip to the dance.

My view sight block seeing what happen (I thought it was Geno that got the T at first but then the ref made the c sign).  My thoughts were at that situation was while the lead was shrinking they still were getting mini-runs to pump it back up to 9-10.  We needed a calming effect to a young team, not something to make the situation worse. 

My 1 big takeaway from all of this:  Quntion Hooker will more than likely go down as the best player at the d-1 level at UND.  It would be nice if he would ever get rewarded for his time here at UND with a trip to the dance.

Hooker has the talent around him.  Needs the coaching to bring it together.   

• Upvote 1

Was kind of worried that Jones would pull it out in the end, but he choked through it.  A win over NDSU may have been too much to fire him.

Feel bad for our guys that they don't have a leader that will show them how to work as a team.

Jones doesn't listen or want to change his style.

Jones get talent.

Jones talent never produces.

NEED coaching to be successful next year! It is possible.  The talent is there

I love Geno, he is going to be a good one and having Hooker around for 2 years is just going to make him better.  I think that was the most emotion out of Shanks I have even seen!  He still needs to work on his post stuff, his hooks shots always seem to be short. Drick is a swiss army knife player, a stat stuffer (yes he didn't score but grabbed 10 boards and love his passing ability from the 4).  I like what Avants brings to the table at the post.  What is up with Seales? 

I don't disagree with your statement. 

Edited by SWSiouxMN

Make free throws and you win.  Simple.  

Actually if both teams make free throws UND loses by double digits.

And as much time as Jones spends on the court, it is amazing he is able to finish games. He should be getting t'd up for being on the court, even when the ball is on UND's side of the court.

1. Can't let a rival come into the F'Hawks Nest, or as I call it for MBB, Coach Jonestown, and mount a comeback like that. Sick of NDSU hype.
  2. I didn't see the game, but if Jones got a technical foul called on him it better have been an epic spectacle, a la James Arthur Boeheim
    hood2.gif?w=1000
  3. I was hoping to have a big celebration for the big Friday night in F-Hawks Athletics: the big win for MHOC, the as big or bigger win for WHOC, and then a rivalry win against the cow people in MBB. Whatever. It's fine. 
  • Upvote 2

Actually if both teams make free throws UND loses by double digits.

And as much time as Jones spends on the court, it is amazing he is able to finish games. He should be getting t'd up for being on the court, even when the ball is on UND's side of the court.

What surprised me was the amount of free throws NDSU MISSED, usually they are pretty solid from the line

I love Geno, he is going to be a good one and having Hooker around for 2 years is just going to make him better.  I think that was the most emotion out of Shanks I have even seen!  He still needs to work on his post stuff, his hooks shots always seem to be short. Drick is a swiss army knife player, a stat stuffer (yes he didn't score but grabbed 10 boards and love his passing ability from the 4).  I like what Avants brings to the table at the post.  What is up with Seales? 

I don't disagree with your statement. 

I've seen a few games this year...what exactly do you like about his game? 

Outside of the final result, it was an entertaining game. UND played better on both ends of the court than they have all season. Definitely did not agree with some of calls made, the refs seemed to be flipping a coin on charge/blocking calls and picked odd times to call some ticky tack things, especially on UND's big guys. I also thought it was strange that Jones managed to get T'd up while Richman got a simple warning for a similar thing and then even after that the NDSU bench managed a second warning with nothing else.

As for game planning, Jones was very clear that UND was going to have to be ready to play defense for the entire shot clock and I thought they did a really good job for the majority of the game. They did a good job on defending the three point shooting, Miller was the only guy that they needed to not give open shots do and they held him in check for the most part. I don't think UND would have changed how they guarded Kabellis, despite him going 4 for 5 from 3, he was something like 3 for 22 on the year going into the game. On the offensive end, Q was really fun to watch despite having to drag his leg up and down the court all game. UND's big's where a question going in and responded nicely. Cashman showed a similar game to what he had last year, Avants had some very nice hustle plays and Shanks played well given his recovery from illness (he makes at least two more baskets he left short if he was at full strength). I thought the play calls at the end were the right one, put the ball in your best player's hand. Lot of body contact on Hooker's last drive and he just missed the 3 pointer. Wish one of the two would have went the other way.

Hoping the team can give that kind of effort every game the rest of the season.

• 1 month later...

NDSU related...I see they suspended Dupree for all of a week and a half.  Boy that really taught him a lesson. 

Kid publically quits team, complaining about his role and it looked bad.  Then, when another guard gets hurt Richman puts him right back in uniform.  Those stipulations he met must have been really tough.  :silly:

I guess it fair to say it hasn't been a great week for the Bison Men's and Women's basketball coaches in the PR department.  Apparently winning is very important to Richmond.  It seems to be a trait of all the Bison coaches.  Winning before discipline or following through on punishment.     The timing of the lifting of the suspension seems to be very coincidental to the other injury.  Can't make this stuff up.