SiouxSports.com Forum

Drop Fighting Hawks name

GeauxSioux

14 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

Yes, that Marquette. And you might want to look into their nickname history and how their alumni and fans voicing their opinion has influenced their nickname. 

Looks like Marquette had a vote, and Warriors won't be coming back anytime soon being 11 years from their last nickname vote.

Marquette's intercollegiate athletic teams were the "Warriors" from May 1954 to July 1994 when the nickname was changed to the "Golden Eagles", on the grounds that previous logos had been disrespectful to Native Americans. The football team was known as "Golden Avalanche" through its final season in 1960, and other teams were known as "Warriors," "Blue and Gold," and "Hilltoppers".[71] The Marquette Warriors (the nickname that preceded Golden Eagles) won the NCAA basketball championship in 1977.[72] In 2004, Marquette began to consider changing the name back to Warriors, but instead the Board of Trustees changed the nickname to simply "Gold". An intensely negative reaction by students, faculty, alumni, and fans led to yet another series of votes, which eventually pitted "Golden Eagles" against "Hilltoppers". Respondents were told in advance that write-in votes for "Warriors" would not be tabulated, although those results were later released, and "Golden Eagles" was restored in June 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquette_University#People

29 minutes ago, XCheck said:

All three of the choices were weak and the Fighting Hawks nickname is lame at best.  Of course having had the best nickname in college sports for decades, we had nowhere to go but down.  

Your last sentence could be said by every school or team from Elementry through the pros who has had a nickname for decades and decades only to have the PC police change it. 

28 minutes ago, XCheck said:

All three of the choices were weak and the Fighting Hawks nickname is lame at best.  Of course having had the best nickname in college sports for decades, we had nowhere to go but down.  

Like many others, I have been very frustrated about having our nickname taken away.  It has been hard too accept.  However, we owe it to UND athletes that lay it on the line for their team and school to get behind this new name.  It can't inspire the athletes to hear the new name denigrated. They keep putting up the W's and that is what counts.

5 hours ago, XCheck said:

Like many others, I have been very frustrated about having our nickname taken away.  It has been hard too accept.  However, we owe it to UND athletes that lay it on the line for their team and school to get behind this new name.  It can't inspire the athletes to hear the new name denigrated. They keep putting up the W's and that is what counts.

So you're saying you have to support the nickname to support the team?  I'm not sure I buy that.

"Right now people are holding on to the old one because there isn't an alternative," Schafer said. "There's nothing else there."

Sure Ed, just like the Sioux fans chanting "Sioux Forever" last season were only doing so to honor the last group of seniors to wear the Sioux jersey...

It"s simply amazing how in line our leaders are to the nararative of the agenda.  

But I do love how they are failing to accomplish their final act-shaming Sioux fans.  "Support the student athletes" is about all they have left..  Really?? I think most of the atheletes are all about the Sioux name, or they don't really care... comon, were going to make victims out of the atheletes over the name now? REALLY?

Remember, A name is what you call yourself.  Go Sioux!

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

So you're saying you have to support the nickname to support the team?  I'm not sure I buy that.

You don't have to support the new name, but don't be a jackass by booing it is the point. Go ahead and cheer go Sioux all you wish....some choose to cheer go Hawks.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, yababy8 said:

But I do love how they are failing to accomplish their final act-shaming Sioux fans.  "Support the student athletes" is about all they have left..  Really?? I think most of the atheletes are all about the Sioux name, or they don't really care... comon, were going to make victims out of the atheletes over the name now?

Hockey players.  They are the one's who act like they know what it's like to wear the Sioux jersey and won't acknowledge the change.  

The rest of the sports are embracing the change.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I don't think you have to wear the jersey to understand the culture that still exists within the Men's hockey program.  I've heard many players and coaches still let a "play Sioux hockey" slip.  Maybe some of the other sports could benefit from this attitude as the hockey team is the most successful on campus?  I'm really sick of people singling out hockey players and "hockey only fans" too, as if those fans are somehow above it.  Yes we are changing nicknames and it may take Men's hockey longer but IMO they embraced the Sioux name more than other sports so could be part of it. 

Above what?

26 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I don't think you have to wear the jersey to understand the culture that still exists within the Men's hockey program.  I've heard many players and coaches still let a "play Sioux hockey" slip.  Maybe some of the other sports could benefit from this attitude as the hockey team is the most successful on campus?  I'm really sick of people singling out hockey players and "hockey only fans" too, as if those fans are somehow above it.  Yes we are changing nicknames and it may take Men's hockey longer but IMO they embraced the Sioux name more than other sports so could be part of it. 

Only because they had a building built with a thousand Sioux logos and had a giant Sioux logo on their jersey, or else the football team wore a Sioux logo on their jersey, had Sioux in the endzones and had a couple Sioux logos at Memorial Stadium, the basketball teams has Sioux on their court to this day, they did have Sioux on their jerseys but yet all those sports got over losing the name and fans of those sports starting embracing the new name, except hockey because it's the hockey only crowd that still wants Sioux back at all costs, it's the hockey only crowd you hear booing the new name over the PA, so don't blame us for calling a duck a duck. 

• Downvote 4