SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

I don't know. 37% of the vote just saw their choice eliminated. That alone is more than Fighting Hawks received. Plus the week before the vote leaves more time for lobbying.

I believe it's actually 27.29% of the vote that had their choice eliminated. That is less than Fighting Hawks got, but more than either of the other 2. I agree on the possibility of the week between votes giving people a chance to sway votes.

The reasoning of why a third one was added doesn't bother me all that much (despite not caring for Nodaks at all). What does bother me is that there has been no clarification I have seen that confirms a nickname can now win with less than 50% of the vote. I think that is important and should be required even if it would require a third round of voting. 

• Upvote 2

Voted for RR and would be saying this no matter what. Final vote needs to be two names, end of discussion. Doubt we get any of the final 3 with 50% so we'll now have a nickname with maybe 40% of the vote??

Also if you voted for Fighting Hawks because of some mediocre logo UND will never use anyways you need to rethink your vote. I actually like Fighting Hawks but between that and it feeling like Kelly included 3 names to water down votes for it is making me  not want FH. 

If it wins I like the name but winning because of a fake logo and a rigged vote doesn't seem right.

• Upvote 3

The reasoning of why a third one was added doesn't bother me all that much (despite not caring for Nodaks at all). What does bother me is that there has been no clarification I have seen that confirms a nickname can now win with less than 50% of the vote. I think that is important and should be required even if it would require a third round of voting. 

From the undsports.com website story, http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=210450142.

The runoff vote will be conducted through Qualtrics, the third party online voting platform provider that managed the preliminary nickname vote.  The runoff voting period will open at noon Central Time on Monday, Nov. 2, and will close at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 6. The University anticipates having the results of the vote by early the week of Nov. 9.  The name receiving the most votes will be the new nickname for UND.  

It doesn't look like they are going to require 50% now.

Voted for RR and would be saying this no matter what. Final vote needs to be two names, end of discussion. Doubt we get any of the final 3 with 50% so we'll now have a nickname with maybe 40% of the vote??

Also if you voted for Fighting Hawks because of some mediocre logo UND will never use anyways you need to rethink your vote. I actually like Fighting Hawks but between that and it feeling like Kelly included 3 names to water down votes for it is making me  not want FH. 

If it wins I like the name but winning because of a fake logo and a rigged vote doesn't seem right.

That "fake logo" must be being floated around by the hockey only fans, right?  

I believe it's actually 27.29% of the vote that had their choice eliminated. That is less than Fighting Hawks got, but more than either of the other 2. I agree on the possibility of the week between votes giving people a chance to sway votes.

Another way to look at it would be that 72% of the people didn't bother to vote since their selection was eliminated pre-vote.:wink:

• Upvote 1

what are people's thoughts on voter turnout for round 2?  

will round 2 result in thousands more people voting?  (doubt it)  

will fewer people end up voting, based on their original choice being eliminated and they couldn't care less now?  (maybe)  

will fewer people end up voting, because the process has been changed and they're turned off?  (maybe) 

should 1st round Sundog voters even be allowed to vote after demonstrating such poor decision making skills?  :D  

• Upvote 2

Another way to look at it would be that 72% of the people didn't bother to vote since their selection was eliminated pre-vote.:wink:

i wonder if 72 percent of the people didn't vote bc they didn't trust kelly to follow thru with the process and in the end they were 100 percent correct in their assumptions...

the Nodaks folks aren't "bitching".   I'd like the process open, honest, and not change the rules midstream.   We're going to try and unite under whatever name is ultimately chosen.  This change will just result in more frustration.   Because of the change in process, when either Roughriders or Fighting Hawks wins, the other side is going to say their choice lost because votes for Nodaks took votes from their choice, and should have never been included in the runoff vote.     capisce?

And if Kelley left Nodaks out of the equation, he would be accused of trying to put sandbags up to stop the rising tide of that choice.  Like I said, he couldn't win either way with this decision. 

Excellent use of the word "capisce," BTW.  Nicely done!

I'd say folks better rally around Fighting Hawks or get stuck copying Red River High School as some sort of TR group of men that have little to do with North Dakota...roughriders

It is fine for Red River HS it rymes great for them & has been their name for nearly 30 yrs

But not worthy of UND Athletics 

If someone or some group like current students can rally enough votes for Nodaks that would be great but if not I'd hate to see the vote split between Nodaks & Fighting Hawks & allow roughriders slip into win 

Kelley should say Fighting Nodaks is ok right now & I think it wins by a landslide (& even be a way for a large majority to not hate Kelley before he leaves)

I feel Fighting Nodaks has really caught on recently & should be a choice

If not let's support Fighting Hawks & be done with this whole mess

I'll guarantee if roughriders wins a lot of people will never move away from Fighting Sioux

It will take time but I really feel Fighting Nodaks is the most likely name that will eventually stick & be accepted 

Even though I voted for Fighting Hawks I'm  ready to support FIGHTING NODAKS

Well the diehard roughrider fans are giving my idea lots of negative votes - So I guess we better get behind Fighting Hawks before these types rally some to RR's & doom us to a terrible (for UND) nickname 

I agree fully.   I voted Nodaks and have a hard time supporting RR.   It's a name I totally dislike.   I can't decide which one I will vote for next time but I know which name I WON'T vote for