Nickname Vote: Exit Poll  

241 members have voted

1. 1. What name did you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • North Stars
    • Sundogs
    • Nodaks
    • Roughriders

We'll see how it goes, but it is kind of funny how that blind devotion can sway people.  I think that is how the NDSU football team can dismiss a lot of the things that went on.  When I hear so much about "culture" by the top programs, and then I see some of the discipline or lack thereof that goes with actions, it leads me to believe that fan bases will be willing to excuse a lot of behavior in the namesake of winning.  Guess we can look back on some of these threads and see people's top 5 choices and then how they evolved when the powers that be have spoken. 

They've largely moved from no nickname to Fighting Hawks to Nodaks.  A stolen hawk logo purported to be the one UND would use and a couple Schlossman blogs have been responsible for the swings.

• Upvote 1

Based on this poll and taking into account this site appearing more pro-Roughrider than the general public (at least to me), I'm guessing the first vote will finish:

1. Nodaks - 38%
  2. Roughriders - 32%
  3. Fighting Hawks - 16%
  4. North Stars - 8%
  5. Sundogs - 6%

siouxvolley did a poll on a different website and RR came out the winner with more than 50%...

Disagree with this. Their basketball team gets plenty of support. Not the same level of attention as a back to back to back to back nation champion program; but isn't that to be expected?

As for the women's sports .... this holds true everywhere. Not meant to be sexist, but in general men's sports get more attention and interest across the board. I for one am just not interested in the women's sports. Its not that I don't want to be, but I guess I can only dedicate so much of my time to watching sports, and the men's teams are more interesting to me. 

I guess, I don't understand the football or basketball fans that seem to despise hockey, and I don't get the hockey fans that seem to think other sports are just a joke. 

NDSU basketball draws somewhere around 15% of the crowds as football, the support isn't even in the same stratosphere. Again, it isn't a UND specific problem, but pretending it doesn't exist doesn't make it any better.

And I think you're misguided on your comments on football or basketball fans. I would venture to guess the majority of those either have season hockey tickets or attend quite a few games. The reverse is nowhere close to true.

• Upvote 1

siouxvolley did a poll on a different website and RR came out the winner with more than 50%...

I may be wrong, but I believe he did that on a national forum.  The resistance to Roughriders due to GFRR wouldn't exist there.  They also wouldn't have a large group that follows whatever the hockey columnist says.

I may be wrong, but I believe he did that on a national forum.  The resistance to Roughriders due to GFRR wouldn't exist there.  They also wouldn't have a large group that follows whatever the hockey columnist says.

yes it was a on random sports webpage but I'm guessing there are a few alumni and whatnot that haven't paid too much attention to this but still registered and their first time seeing the five options were recently and you would think that roughriders would stick out among the five as a suitable nickname for the flagship

And I think you're misguided on your comments on football or basketball fans. I would venture to guess the majority of those either have season hockey tickets or attend quite a few games. The reverse is nowhere close to true.

Absolutely, and it's probably closer to 95% of people with season football/basketball tickets also have season hockey tickets or attend when they can.  I rag on the hockey-only crowd on occasion and I've been attending hockey games for 20+ years.  Most of my friends I graduated from UND with are hockey-only and couldn't care less about UND football and basketball.

Absolutely, and it's probably closer to 95% of people with season football/basketball tickets also have season hockey tickets or attend when they can.  I rag on the hockey-only crowd on occasion and I've been attending hockey games for 20+ years.  Most of my friends I graduated from UND with are hockey-only and couldn't care less about UND football and basketball.

Absolutely right.  I graduated from UND in 2000, and I only have one other college friend that follows all three of the big sports.  Everyone else that I went to school with and keep in touch with is hockey only, and I don't think this phenomenon is unique to the people that we know.

Even with this poll just open for a day, it's interesting to see how it differs from a similar poll with the same five choices started in July (http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/20657-vote-on-your-final-5-nickname-choices-just-nd-is-out/). 

Not surprisingly given the recent PR blitz, Nodaks has gained a lot of ground. But, surprisingly not at the expense of Roughriders. Instead all of the other choices have completely withered away. Fighting Hawks and North Stars, each previously claimed to be generating buzz among students on campus, aren't even in the running here.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the real polling.

Edited by jimdahl

You don't see that changing if UND was ranked top 10 annually? Or winning championships like NDSU? Or making the NCAA Basketball tourney? 

Even with this poll just open for a day, it's interesting to see how it differs from a similar poll with the same five choices started in July (http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/20657-vote-on-your-final-5-nickname-choices-just-nd-is-out/). 

Not surprisingly given the recent PR blitz, Nodaks has gained a lot of ground. But, surprisingly not at the expense of Roughriders. Instead all of the other choices have completely withered away. Fighting Hawks and North Stars, each previously claimed to be generating buzz among students on campus, aren't even in the running here.

I think the RR people haven't wavered at all from the time the final five were released and the feeble minded people that are swayed by hack jobs and the twitterverse have swayed from YEAH North Stars to WHOA look at that hawk logo lets go Fighting Hawks to okay the heraldo wants the nodaks so YEAH NODAKS! 

• Upvote 2

It is pretty crazy how much of the support for Fighting Hawks has gone over to Nodaks.  I think that we can anticipate a runoff between Nodaks and Roughriders.

The Herald is really digging deep:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hey anyone out there get two emails two different accounts allowing them to vote on UND&#39;s <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/newnickname?src=hash">#newnickname</a> twice? Looking for sources.</p>&mdash; Anna Burleson (@AnnagatorB) <a href="https://twitter.com/AnnagatorB/status/656152532520079361">October 19, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hey everybody: experiencing issues with UND&#39;s <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/newnickname?src=hash">#newnickname</a> vote? | Grand Forks Herald <a href="https://t.co/4n9FleCB0I">https://t.co/4n9FleCB0I</a></p>&mdash; Anna Burleson (@AnnagatorB) <a href="https://twitter.com/AnnagatorB/status/656177735912452096">October 19, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Process was way easier than I expected.  Guessing she'll get a lot of responses from the no-namers and others who didn't update their info with the Alumni Foundation.

Process was way easier than I expected. 

Agree.  Open link.......click on choice.....done.  If you graduated from UND and had trouble with this voting process please go give your diploma back.

• Upvote 4

I think the RR people haven't wavered at all from the time the final five were released and the feeble minded people that are swayed by hack jobs and the twitterverse have swayed from YEAH North Stars to WHOA look at that hawk logo lets go Fighting Hawks to okay the heraldo wants the nodaks so YEAH NODAKS! 

Pretty unfair to assume people that are voting for RoughRiders are solid-minded, while those voting for NoDaks can't think for themselves... I will be fine with either of the two names but would prefer NoDaks. I don't go accusing others who don't agree with me of not thinking logically... cmon man.

Edited by fight on sioux
  • Upvote 1

This statement is full of false assumptions. And you know what they say about those. They make an ass our of 'u' and 'mptions' or something like that...

Pretty unfair to assume people that are voting for RoughRiders are solid-minded, while those voting for NoDaks can't think for themselves... I will be fine with either of the two names but would prefer NoDaks. I don't go accusing others who don't agree with me of not thinking logically... cmon man.

That is true, you can't lump everyone together with that statement.  That said,  there are those that were saying "seriously" to the thought of Nodaks to all in now.  How did it all of a sudden become the "it" thing?

That is true, you can't lump everyone together with that statement.  That said,  there are those that were saying "seriously" to the thought of Nodaks to all in now.  How did it all of a sudden become the "it" thing?

I can only speak for myself in that regard. I originally liked the idea of NoDaks because of the tradition and uniqueness of the name. I then considered RoughRiders because of it's association with the state. I ultimately chose NoDaks because of the flexibility is has with a potential new logo and also because of the history of the Fighting Sioux name. The Sioux name was given to UND in a sacred Native American ceremony that has been disregarded by the powers that be. I believe in voting for NoDaks, we can do the best job of honoring those people who gave us the Fighting Sioux name and at the same time move forward with a new tradition. 

Edited by fight on sioux