Nickname Vote: Exit Poll  

241 members have voted

1. 1. What name did you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • North Stars
    • Sundogs
    • Nodaks
    • Roughriders

Are you serious?  How?  Again 5.....FIVE.....choices.  One vote for 5 choices.  One reads the thru the five choices and picks one.  The order makes no difference if it is random or identical for every email.  

If I go to my local polling site for any given election all the ballots are the same.  So does that affect the vote too?  

Any thoughts on the Grassy Knoll?

for as much as people like to think that we are independent minded and well thought out, it has been shown that what order candidates (or options) appear in greatly affects results.

for as much as people like to think that we are independent minded and well thought out, it has been shown that what order candidates (or options) appear in greatly affects results.

I would agree with this in several cases, but for MOST voters, The order of this particular vote won't matter, unless they were undecided at the time of opening their email and link. I think 99.99999% of voters in this vote, already had their minds made up prior to see any random order. That being said, I think this is a standard practice for places like qualtrics to avoid accusations and criticism about trying to sway a vote.

• Downvote 1

I would agree with this in several cases, but for MOST voters, The order of this particular vote won't matter, unless they were undecided at the time of opening their email and link. I think 99.99999% of voters in this vote, already had their minds made up prior to see any random order. That being said, I think this is a standard practice for places like qualtrics to avoid accusations and criticism about trying to sway a vote.

I'd agree with this. It has to appear as though there is not even a hint of bias on the part of Qualtrics or the University. It makes sense to me but it seems like a non-issue to me. Who cares if it's random order?

Edited by InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I'd agree with this. It has to appear as though there is not even a hint of bias on the part of Qualtrics or the University. It makes sense to me but it seems like a non-issue to me. Who cares if it's random order?

Peoples minds are made up when they click on the link to vote.  It is a non factor.

I voted Fighting Hawks, it was between that and Nodaks, I should've went for Nodak to try to give it the the majority.

I think Fighting Hawks can have a sweet logo, and it atleast sounds viscous. Maybe it is just the fact that I am also a Air Force Fan and they have the Falcons (alot of their apparel says Fighting Falcons). 

Nodaks is pretty bland, but it allows possibly endless possibilities for a logo and also allows the interlocking ND to stay for awhile if wanted.

I have a love/hate with Rough Riders, but I associate it with lower level teams such as Sioux Falls Roosevelt, and the CFL team. 

I have seen people on tests just choose the first option and not care what is written. I assume it's a possibility here too.

You mean the Men's Hockey Team, right? Because we all know that is where this Nodak movement is coming from.

I get not liking Nodak, and I get not being happy that we haven't heard from athletes outside of hockey. But is that really the hockey team's fault? or the people voting? Even this website hasn't really promoted other voices? Are the football players tweeting their picks and reasoning? I don't know, but if they are then SS.com could put that in their live twitter feed as well.

I like UND Football, Basketball and Hockey. But hockey does have the largest influence, purely based on numbers. That's a fact. The hockey team typically seems to be the most outspoken on these issues as well (coaches and players). Are they not supposed to state their views? Football and Basketball could do the same.

I just don't get the hate on the hockey team for getting the most attention. I would personally like them all to get the same level of attention, fans and viewship, but that happens because of program success. Hockey dominates UND, and barring a major decline in our success, and a major increase in a different sport that will not change. Ideally all sports become competitive, and all will get more coverage.

Edited by siouxfan512
  • Upvote 3

Peoples minds are made up when they click on the link to vote.  It is a non factor.

If it's a non-factor why do people care that it's random?

Qualtrics and UND want to appear as though they have impartiality. Even the appearance of that could bring on more controversy that they don't want. I think they've had their fill of that. 

Edited by InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I get not liking Nodak, and I get not being happy that we haven't heard from athletes outside of hockey. But is that really the hockey team's fault? or the people voting? Even this website hasn't really promoted other voices? Are the football players tweeting their picks and reasoning? I don't know, but if they are then SS.com could put that in their live twitter feed as well.

I like UND Football, Basketball and Hockey. But hockey does have the largest influence, purely based on numbers. That's a fact. The hockey team typically seems to be the most outspoken on these issues as well (coaches and players). Are they not supposed to state their views? Football and Basketball could do the same.

I just don't get the hate on the hockey team for getting the most attention. I would personally like them all to get the same level of attention, fans and viewship, but that happens because of program success. Hockey dominates UND, and barring a major decline in our success, and a major increase in a different sport that will not change. Ideally all sports become competitive, and all will get more coverage.

Thank you

Beautiful...

Its like biting the hand that feeds you!

This is cool....
http://www.grandforksherald.com/video/4564079487001

I get not liking Nodak, and I get not being happy that we haven't heard from athletes outside of hockey. But is that really the hockey team's fault? or the people voting? Even this website hasn't really promoted other voices? Are the football players tweeting the picks and reasoning? I don't know, but if they are then SS.com could put that in their live feed as well.

What I am sick of is the attitude of some (and I emphasis the word some here) Men's Hockey rubes that as long as Men's Hockey is happy, nothing else matters and if everything else goes down the sewer, that is just fine with them. The divide is real, it is not a myth. And it doesn't do our campus any good. Ultimately, all of us should be on the same side and on the same team, whatever the sport is. Don't think for one second that NDSU and other rivals don't use the whole "Hockey is all that matters" mentality when trying to beat us in the recruiting game ("Don't go to UND, all they care about is hockey and no one will care about your team. We'll treat you like royalty here"). The move to Division I in all sports was a waste of time, energy and resources if we continue this "Hockey is all that matters" approach.

Beautiful...

Its like biting the hand that feeds you!

This is cool....
http://www.grandforksherald.com/video/4564079487001

So all of this is a zero sum game? Trying to lift all of our programs to a certain level of excellence is an attack on Men's Hockey? What a crock of crap that is! You are proving my point for me. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Well stated

What I am sick of is the attitude of some (and I emphasis the word some here) Men's Hockey rubes that as long as Men's Hockey is happy, nothing else matters and if everything else goes down the sewer, that is just fine with them. The divide is real, it is not a myth. And it doesn't do our campus any good. Ultimately, all of us should be on the same side and on the same team, whatever the sport is. Don't think for one second that NDSU and other rivals don't use the whole "Hockey is all that matters" mentality when trying to beat us in the recruiting game ("Don't go to UND, all they care about is hockey and no one will care about your team. We'll treat you like royalty here"). The move to Division I in all sports was a waste of time, energy and resources if we continue this "Hockey is all that matters" approach.

Tell that to the women's volleyball team who just swept NDSU in front of 2500 fans. 

Pretty sure it's about winning and you're not going to have much coverage if the product

on the field/court isn't worth watching...

• Upvote 1