SiouxSports.com Forum

On To The Griz

geaux_sioux

I have major concerns with Rudolph and the offense. I think Coach Schmidt does a tremendous job with the defense considering the depth issues yet present from Mussman's regime, but Rudolph leaves much more to be desired. 

I'd like to see a screen pass once in a while.  Other than that, I like the general philosophy of the offense.  We just have absolutely no talent at WR, and the O-Line has been inconsistent, but better the last few weeks.

Give me a bubble screen, Rudolph.................

In my experiences with this coaching staff they are not going to play guys who don't give them the best chance to win.  I don't think they are "sticking  it to Joe". He came of an Achilles tear and maybe he's not as good as he was prior to the injury and they have had the opportunity to see that in fall camp and the season.  

I'm not even questioning who is # 1, 2, or 3. I'm questioning when Studsrud is hurt and Bartels struggles why is Joe not an option. We can go back to last year but how do you compare? They didn't have similar competition We can make excuses for any of the 3. Interceptions by all three, 33% completions by Studsrud, less than 60% completion rate by the other two etc.  we have moved on to this year.

I want what is best for UND FB. I don't have blind faith in these coaches but I certainly supported and lobbied for Bubba.  There is something not right about this situation.  Bartels struggles, completes 45% of his passes and Rudolph won't consider using Joe?  I get that Buuba isn't going to open things up and throw the ball.  We have the makings of a good running game. I disagree there is no talent at WR.  Just like my concern for slow development of the potential for all 3 QB's, I have a concern for slow development of our WR's.  They need to improve their basic fundamentals so those fundamentals become good habits. We shall see this weekend. Best thing would be Bartels lights up the Griz and we will never know. If he struggles I certainly would like to see Mollberg back in there. He deserves at least that.

In my experiences with this coaching staff they are not going to play guys who don't give them the best chance to win.  I don't think they are "sticking  it to Joe". He came of an Achilles tear and maybe he's not as good as he was prior to the injury and they have had the opportunity to see that in fall camp and the season.  

Maybe  he  is as good or better.  Who knows?  Don't know unless he gets a chance.

After the last two games the jury is still out with this staff.  I like what they are doing overall but no way should we have lost the last 2 games nor struggled against Drake or Cal Davis or laid an egg with the Bison.  We have to be patient but we have got to be getting better each week.

• Upvote 1

Pretty hard for me to speculate as to why Bartels is ahead of Mollberg on the depth chart since I'm not close to the program and don't go to the practices to see what is going on.  Maybe Bubba just feels it's best to stick with one guy rather than going back and forth and having a player on a short leash.  Let's be honest, Mollberg was the starter when the 2014 season began, and he was pretty awful in the first 4 games.  In fact I'm pretty sure a lot of people were clamoring for Bartels halfway through the Missouri St. game last year.  The staff had to be pretty loyal and patient with Mollberg then and his play was pretty unimpressive until Big Sky play started.  They have been pretty patient with Studsrud too.  They were winning while he was in there so it was easier to overlook his shortcomings.  Maybe that is what they are doing with Bartels now.

Mollberg seems a little injury prone too.  Read or saw something recently that he was a little dinged up in fall camp, unrelated to the Achilles.  Of course he had the unfortunate Achilles injury last season.  Didn't he have a bad wheel or something coming out of high school too, and that was part of why some of the FBS schools passed on him?

I think it is fair to say that none of our QBs are really studs at the position. I think everyone had really high hopes for Mollberg when he came in (I know I did), just given the caliber of the competition that was looking at him. To be fair to Mollberg, he may have not started last year off great, but lets remember that we were also implementing a new coach and a new system.

I would still rather see Mollber over Bartels, and I have pretty much always felt this way. I think Bartels has a strong arm, and throws a nice deep ball on occasion, but I'm just not sold on the guy. I definitely questioned started Keaton this year, mainly because he was so young and didn't have as much game experience. I think that proved to be a wise decision, given the coaches system and how good Keaton is in the run game.

Again, I don't think any of these guys are very strong starting QBs, and I really hope the coaches are going to be able to lockup a good recruit going forward. (Maybe Heidlebaugh is the guy, but I don't know much about him). I'm not closing the door on Studrud either, like I said, he is young, but he has a lot of work to do in developing his passing game. Learning to work through his progressions, and improving some decision making.

Bartels struggles, completes 45% of his passes and Rudolph won't consider using Joe?

Through the first four games last year, Joe completed 45% of his passes and had 2 TD to go with 4 INT.  They stuck with him, and he started the next 4 games and played pretty well until he got hurt.  Just sayin'.......

Edited by bincitysioux
  • Upvote 2

Through the first four games last year, Joe completed 45% of his passes and had 2 TD to go with 4 INT.  They stuck with him, and he started the next 4 games and did pretty well the rest of the way.  Just sayin'.......

That is a good point.  I think right now they are trying to find help til Studsrud gets healthy. I'm not saying start Joe but if Studsrud struggles Joe can play. 

Did he get any practice time this week?  Joe is healthy and can play tomorrow. He has been ready every week.  He hasn't been given much of a chance. He doesn't get reps in practice.  I haven't spoken to him since early last summer.  He has been very supportive of Bubba. People in GF close to the program who aren't afraid of offending the GOBC related he has been relegated to third team from the beginning of fall camp. I would hope he gets some reps in practice now with Studsrud hurt. Unfortunately the decision apparently is Rudolph's.  I find it hard to believe Bubba would do this to a kid who was developing as Joe was and got hurt playing Sioux FB.  I also find it strange that the coaches don't even discuss Joe as being in the mix. When Bubba was asked about Joe by the media, he avoided the question. This is the first time in the 45 years I have been associated with Sioux  football they have done this to a guy. Gene Murphy is probably rolling over in his grave.  Joe doesn't use drugs, he is an academic all conference and had a 4.0 last semester.  He doesn't beat women (his girlfriend is the daughter of a Sioux FB All American). They treated the kids who had grade problems, legal problems and drug issues better than this.  We should be winning FB games.

This isn't all that uncommon actually.  We don't know the coaches thought process and we would be fools to assume we know the whole story.  When I was at UND it certainly wasn't always the best player that was on the field.  A lot of the situations of players getting overlooked were self induced by the player  but in other cases the coaches saw something, preferred one player over another in spite of a talent gap.  The point is that we don't really know what is going on behind the scenes and getting one or two opinions doesn't always give an accurate picture.  Joe certainly has the best arm talent of the group and I agree he was playing well right before his injury.   

Maybe  he  is as good or better.  Who knows?  Don't know unless he gets a chance.

This isn't really a fair,  because you could make that statement of everyone on the roster.  The coaches use practice to figure it out, not game day.  That being said, Joe might be getting the short end of the stick.  It certainly isn't he first time it's happened and it will not be the last either.  I kind of have trouble thinking Joe is a 100% though because he had a bad injury and I have never been the same as before I ruptured my Achilles. 

Edited by BigGame

I have to admit, not that I was clammering for Bartels when Studsrud was making some poor throws, but I did wonder what Bartels could do.  After seeing the tape last week, those two TO's Bartels had were horrible.  There is no way on gods earth that fumble should have happened in the 4th quarter, he saw that guy coming the whole time.  He threw one nice deep ball for a TD, but he missed several other passes, and of course that pick was terrible.  If Joe is healthy I'm totally for seeing what he can do.  Honestly I don't care if they swap between Bartels or Mollberg the rest of this year (assuming Studs is out) to see who is better.  The way things are going we are going to go into next year in the same position as this year, not knowing who the heck should really be the starter.  If Joe is healthy, I'd like to see him get a shot.

I have to admit, not that I was clammering for Bartels when Studsrud was making some poor throws, but I did wonder what Bartels could do.  After seeing the tape last week, those two TO's Bartels had were horrible.  There is no way on gods earth that fumble should have happened in the 4th quarter, he saw that guy coming the whole time.  He threw one nice deep ball for a TD, but he missed several other passes, and of course that pick was terrible.  If Joe is healthy I'm totally for seeing what he can do.  Honestly I don't care if they swap between Bartels or Mollberg the rest of this year (assuming Studs is out) to see who is better.  The way things are going we are going to go into next year in the same position as this year, not knowing who the heck should really be the starter.  If Joe is healthy, I'd like to see him get a shot.

Musical chairs doesn't work. Backup QB is tough to play. Give Bartels time to settle in with first team reps. He'll be better today I'm sure. 

• Upvote 1

Game on Dish TV?

I am seeking out a sports bar that usesdirectv as it is my understanding that Root Sports is carried exclusively by that particular provider. Not saying my understanding is correct, just saying that is what I am going to do.

Edited by TBR