SiouxSports.com Forum

On To The Griz

geaux_sioux

I was replying to a post about how NDSUs backup QB supposedly didn't miss a beat from Wentz. 

My point was the the new kid at NDSU statistically put up similar numbers to what we see from Studsrud And most importantly win the game.  Studsrud has been doing that all year before the injury yet some still call for him to go to the bench.   I'll take 126 passing, 100+ rushing with only 1 turnover. 

I understood you to compare the Bison kid with Studsrud. My point was to compare their first starts.  If I'm coaching I want to  the QB who can lead, can read defenses, can direct an offense, can make all the throws and is athletic enough to escape trouble. Many others do the same. We don't know what Joe would do this year.  We have seen what Studsrud and Bartels have done.  Hopefully they will continue to get better.  You can bet the Bison kid will.

Throwing my two cents out here: 

The QB position hasn't looked good since Braden Hanson/Marcus Hendrickson. Since then, we haven't had a true #1 guy. Mollberg looked like he was getting there last year and then he got injured. Studsrud was winning games this year but he was primarily doing it on the ground. Yes he was winning, but the passing game was pretty much non-existent. Bartels ran into terrible luck last season with the injury, but this season he doesn't have that excuse and has shown absolutely nothing to inspire confidence or justify him getting another start if Studsrud can't play this upcoming weekend. I think if Studsrud can't play, the coaches have to go to Mollberg for a game, at least see what he can do now. 

I'm curious what Mollberg can do, primarily because of how much different the offense is from when he was running things last year. Early last year, UND couldn't run worth a lick and so Mollberg was being asked to pretty much carry the offense. It wasn't pretty early but his decision making seemed to be getting better as he got a feel for the system. He was able to utilize the receivers we had last year. When he and Bartels went out, it was obvious the coaches wanted to protect the true freshman and put an added emphasis on the run. Don't know if it was just some serious coaching by the new o-line coach but holes started opening and Garmin showed what he could do when given a semblance of a gap. 

Cut to this year and the run-heavy offense continues with the added threat of the QB run and the perpetual homerun threat of Santiago. The offense is a different creature. I'm not saying Mollberg would come in and instantly fix the passing game as there seems to be major issues with the receivers this year, but some of those receiver issues could also be on the QB play. Hard to do timing routes when the QB is late with the ball or unsure of his decision making. Also tough to stretch the field when the QB can't push the ball downfield. So stick in Mollberg (who we know is capable of chucking the pigskin), continue pounding the ball with Santiago/Oliviera, and demand a receiver wins a 1v1 battle. What do we have to lose at this point on offense? 

Bartels first start: 10 of 12 for 212 yds 1 TD. 6 yds rushing. No Int.  (Valpariso)

Mollberg's first start: 25 of 43 for 281 yds 2 TD's 2 Ints. 8 yds rushing.  (Montana)

Studsrud's first start: 5 of 19 for 37 yds.  0 TDs. 3 Ints.  15yds rushing.  (Eastern Washington)

Easton first start:  something like 9 of 20 for 126 yds and 1 TD and 1 Int.  Ran for over 100 yds and a TD. (Indiana State)

if you want to compare the NDSU kid to our guys, here are their first starts all as freshmen.  So much depends on your supporting cast.  It's a team game. 

You call that a fair comparison. Pure Bull.  you are better than that.

I understood you to compare the Bison kid with Studsrud. My point was to compare their first starts.  If I'm coaching I want to  the QB who can lead, can read defenses, can direct an offense, can make all the throws and is athletic enough to escape trouble. Many others do the same. We don't know what Joe would do this year.  We have seen what Studsrud and Bartels have done.  Hopefully they will continue to get better.  You can bet the Bison kid will.

You better compare their age, time to prepare in the offense, players around them, and venue of their first start while you are at it.

Horrible comparison. Awful.  UNDs offense was horrific last year until last couple games of the year.  

I think Studs is an OK QB but he is hurt and Bartles flat out stinks and hasn't gotten the job done. Why not give Mollberg a shot? WTF has he done to Rudolph or Bubba to deny him a chance?? I just don't get it. 

The part in bold I agree with.  I'm all for giving Joe a chance as we have got zero production the last couple weeks.  That said, when comparing Bartles and Molberg, Joe used to make his plays throwing the deep ball.  He really struggled throwing short routes.  We have no deep threat right now so unless Joe has improved the short passing game, I fear it would be more of the same.  

I'm not sure first starts really are really comparable.  Stick has been in NDSU's system almost 2 full years, including traveling with the team last year and taking the #2 reps since he's been on campus.  Studsrud was a true freshman, on campus a couple months and running the practice team the week before his start.

I think homer's main point was that in a vacuum, the stats that Studsrud is putting up (and winning with) are on par or better than what Stick did.  Bison fans were happy with that, UND fans have not been.  I get your point about it being his first start though.

You call that a fair comparison. Pure Bull.  you are better than that.

I listed the first starts.  I had no criticism or comment. I'm impressed with Stick.  We are way beyond first starts for all 3 of our guys.  Someone else wants to use Stick's first game and compare with Studsrud in his second season.  I don't think you can compare the 2 especially given that  Studsrud was a true freshman and none of our guys had a supporting cast like Stick does. I agree.  I simply listed the first starts of all 4 without comment.   What did Shakespere say? "Methinks thou doth protest too much". I listed stats from each guy's first game. No more, no less and no comment. We seem to have comparisons for our 3 guys all of the time. That is OK as long as we always consider Studsrud played as a true freshman and Mollberg and Bartels played as  redshirt freshmen.  I don't care how old they are now, our guys are all are experienced QB's and if we have to make excuses for them being freshmen or sophs, then we have a problem because we are making excuses. We always point out that we don't have good receivers or an oline that is still developing when Studsrud struggles, but if Mollberg or Bartels struggled or struggles, it is because they are terrible.  We don't mention the dropped passes, poor routes, coaching issues when those two were freshmen and sophs, nor the coaching staff change for Mollberg and Bartels at the end of their RFr years.  I may not be quite as good as you  seem to be, because I look at what we could be and should be and I have an opinion as to how we can get there.  It is no more valid than your opinion or anyone elses.  I also have not laid the blame for the losses on the QB nor credited the QB with the wins.  That is your opinion. I simply disagree and if they makes me less than I should be, I guess that's on me. But laying out the stats isn't "bull".

I listed the first starts.  I had no criticism or comment. I'm impressed with Stick.  We are way beyond first starts for all 3 of our guys.  Someone else wants to use Stick's first game and compare with Studsrud in his second season.  I don't think you can compare the 2 especially given that  Studsrud was a true freshman and none of our guys had a supporting cast like Stick does. I agree.  I simply listed the first starts of all 4 without comment.   What did Shakespere say? "Methinks thou doth protest too much". I listed stats from each guy's first game. No more, no less and no comment. We seem to have comparisons for our 3 guys all of the time. That is OK as long as we always consider Studsrud played as a true freshman and Mollberg and Bartels played as  redshirt freshmen.  I don't care how old they are now, our guys are all are experienced QB's and if we have to make excuses for them being freshmen or sophs, then we have a problem because we are making excuses. We always point out that we don't have good receivers or an oline that is still developing when Studsrud struggles, but if Mollberg or Bartels struggled or struggles, it is because they are terrible.  We don't mention the dropped passes, poor routes, coaching issues when those two were freshmen and sophs, nor the coaching staff change for Mollberg and Bartels at the end of their RFr years.  I may not be quite as good as you  seem to be, because I look at what we could be and should be and I have an opinion as to how we can get there.  It is no more valid than your opinion or anyone elses.  I also have not laid the blame for the losses on the QB nor credited the QB with the wins.  That is your opinion. I simply disagree and if they makes me less than I should be, I guess that's on me. But laying out the stats isn't "bull".

You call that a fair comparison  This is what I questioned.  Studsrud True Freshman on the scout team until Sunday before his first start.  What about the other comparisons.  Of course you couldn't comment because it would be Bull++++.  Sorry but you are so blinded by Mollberg you see nothing else.  Let's leave it at that.

Look. If your argument is always going to be anything I  say is because I'm biased about Mollberg it then I guess you should block my posts.  I'm not the one getting angry over nothing.  I simply listed the first starts.  I said you can't really compare because of Fr vs Soph vs Jr and also the surrounding cast.  I was basically complimentary about Stick not Mollberg.  It seems clear that some apply different standards to evaluate kids based on our bias.  You are no different.

There is no reason to get upset about throwing out first starts.  The kid with the best first start was Bartles.  My comments on this issue have lumped Bartels and Mollberg together as to the issues and hurdles they have faced in their 2 years of playing time. Claiming they didn't have a running game or oline doesn't make them any better or worse and claiming Studsrud doesn't have receivers doesn't make him better or worse.  Homer brought out a good point and that is that the Stick kid had similar stats in his first start that we are seeing on some of the games from Studsrud and questioned why do some call for him to be replaced when the Bison fans are praising Stick.  He has a good point.  Why would it bother anyone if I throw out each of the kids first games.  They are what they are and Studsrud is a much better player now than when he started.  I may have an opinion you don't agree with and I may not agree with yours but there is no reason to get pissy cuz I raised an issue.  This is just a blog with a bunch of rubes who probably should be doing something more productive with our time.  I have the afternoon off however.  As the drill Sgt said: "lighten up Francis".  Make your case but don't get your grundies in a bunch.  We have no say in any of this.  I want whomever is going to raise the level of play of those around him and improve our chance of restoring pride and success to this program.  That is more important than who you or I think should be the guy.

the new guy at NDSU came in, rushed for over 100 yds, threw for less than 100 and won. Their fans are ecstatic about that. 

UND fans have a starting QB who was 4-1 and had similar stats and were calling for his replacement cause he wasn't getting the job done.  

Ill take wins over stats. 

I don't think that we should necessarily say Studs isn't getting the job done, but he does need to prove that he can throw the ball more that what he has done thus far. Not saying he needs to throw for 400 yards every game, but he does need to get better at looking through his progressions and making good decisions. He has had some really nice passes this year, and some really horrendous ones.

11.7.2.1.2 Undergraduate Coach FBS - The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not apply to undergraduate coaches.

11.7.3 Championship Subdivision Football - There shall be a limit of 11 coaches of any type who may be employed by an institution in championship subdivision football.

11.7.3.1 Exceptions to Number Limits FCS - No individual other than coaches designated to fill the coaching categories set forth in Bylaw 11.7.3 may participate in any manner in the coaching of the intercollegiate team of a member institution during any football game, practice or other organized activity, with the following exceptions:

11.7.3.1.1 Weight or Strength Coach FCS - A weight (strength and conditioning) coach may conduct flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning activities prior to any game and prior to or during any practice or other organized activities without being included in the limitations on number of coaches.

11.7.3.1.2 Undergraduate Coach FCS - The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not apply to undergraduate coaches.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...