SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

For the record, 82SiouxGuy, I am not in favor of remaining nickname-less.  My point is that in the great scheme of things, without a nickname or even with one, UND is still a relatively small-time school in terms of national athletic exposure.  That's just the way it is. 

Was that a UND logo on your sweatshirt that the guy in Boston saw or one with the Sioux logo on it?

For the record, 82SiouxGuy, I am not in favor of remaining nickname-less.  My point is that in the great scheme of things, without a nickname or even with one, UND is still a relatively small-time school in terms of national athletic exposure.  That's just the way it is. 

Was that a UND logo on your sweatshirt that the guy in Boston saw or one with the Sioux logo on it?

I agree that UND is relatively small-time in terms of exposure and awareness. That is part of the reason it needs to work every angle possible.

In that particular case it was the Brien Sioux logo. I always remember the conversation because he said that a lot of college students in the Boston area knew and liked the logo. He said that some of them bought t-shirts and sweat shirts with the logo and wore them around Boston. This was after the NCAA announced their policy, but it was before the lawsuit was settled. He knew that UND was in Grand Forks, and knew where North Dakota was although he had never been anywhere close. It was an example of how a good logo can help increase awareness.

They have to get Sundogs off of that list. That will not bring anyone together.

Exactly.........atrocious nickname and there is NO logo that can overcompensate for that.  2 words if Sundogs is the final choice........TRAIN WRECK!

You could throw Nodaks in the same category IMO.

• Upvote 1

A ranking of what is left. Scale of 1-10

Nodaks-2.....just sounds too hokey

North Stars-8.....the best of the "names" on the list by far......but it is a neighboring state's nickname

Fighting Hawks-4.....would have been better to just go with Green, White, Night, or Prairie

Sun Dogs-0......I challenge anyone to come up with a worse name. This was the joke 3 years ago as in "well we better come up with a decent name or we will end up with something stupid like sundogs"

Roughriders-5......generic

North Dakota-7

A ranking of the last discarded names.

Blaze-1

Cavalry-4

Explorers-7......great marketing and logo potential

Fighting Green-0

Force-3......

Green Hawks-5

Pride-2

Spirit-1

Thunderhawks-4.....although pretty similar to United Tribes Technical College nickname.

saying calm down as a response to my post makes absolutely no sense.

Regarding your bold highlights, I can only infer what you mean by that.  My guess is that you are suggesting I am indeed calling people names in the same breath as a say I am not.  Of course I most certainly am not and my guess is that is why you chose the vague method of doing nothing more than highlighting text.

I'm uninclined to go through an language lession when you have not specifically made any sort of assertion about those words and phrases you lighted.

I will say two things,;  I loved my asimilie and the "get over it" as a label for those who have perpetually said "get over it" is nothing short of completely appropriate (their words).  you know come to think of it the name for the other side of the fence is of course we all know,  the "name at all costs" crowd.  what's really super funny about that is that label(labels are not name calling) was created by the "get over it" crowd.  

So effectivly the get over crowd created both labels.  Funny!  ...yet you highlight my words and attempt to make me the guy who calls names by highlighting apropos labels.

it just doesn't stop.  absolutely relentless rhetoric. relentless. keep saying it, keep highlighting the words. someday it will be true that I have called names. I guess I just need to accept that.

sorry I didn't clean up this post, I used text to voice on my phone. too lazy to clean up. you all are wearing me down. ha,  pretty soon I'll end up getting frustrated and I'll have to call someone a name.

...ahhh now I get it....

Nice post. 

I'll add that the hypocrisy of some in the name at all costs crowd is particularly amusing.   While admonishing those of us in favor of no nickname, I have seen comments from at least three of the half dozen name-at-all-costs diehard posters about how adamant they are against Sundogs and they call it unacceptable.   Like it or not, it's still a finalist and there's a real possibility Sundogs could be chosen.  So, pick a side people....pick a side.

• Upvote 1

Nice post. 

I'll add that the hypocrisy of some in the name at all costs crowd is particularly amusing.   While admonishing those of us in favor of no nickname, I have seen comments from at least three of the half dozen name-at-all-costs diehard posters about how adamant they are against Sundogs and they call it unacceptable.   Like it or not, it's still a finalist and there's a real possibility Sundogs could be chosen.  So, pick a side people....pick a side.

I personally don't want to stay Sioux Forever so I will accept a new nickname.  

Nice post. 

I think that most of that are in favor of UND picking a new nickname are putting a lot of faith that when it comes to a public vote, Sundogs will get very low support and that Kelley would never pick a name that finished dead last in stakeholder voting.  SO unless Kelley picks Sundogs, there is no reason to freak out

The problem with the no nickname debate is that a new name has not been selected.  So the no nickname crowd comes off as complaining and not wanting to move on, etc.  Now when a name does get selected and announced, then you at least have something to debate about.  Either people will like the new name selected or not.  If the no nickname crowd held a rally supporting just being North Dakota instead of say Sundogs, then you might have something that people could support.

Edited by Siouxperfan7

I think that most of that are in favor of UND picking a new nickname are putting a lot of faith that when it comes to a public vote, Sundogs will get very low support and that Kelley would never pick a name that finished dead last in stakeholder voting.  SO unless Kelley picks Sundogs, there is no reason to freak out

The problem with the no nickname debate is that a new name has not been selected.  So the no nickname crowd comes off as complaining and not wanting to move on, etc.  Now when a name does get selected and announced, then you at least have something to debate about.  Either people will like the new name selected or not.  If the no nickname crowd held a rally supporting just being North Dakota instead of say Sundogs, then you might have something that people could support.

We do not know for sure who will be eligible to vote.  if it's open to everyone statewide, I would expect lots of Sundog support from the Fargo area.  The fact of the matter is we just don't know. 

As to your second paragraph, myself and many others do not need to hear what the actual pick is; all 5 choices range from mediocre to atrocious.   So why wait until after the fact and the name is selected and announced, to voice concerns.  It would do no good at that point. 

• Upvote 1

As to your second paragraph, myself and many others do not need to hear what the actual pick is; all 5 choices range from mediocre to atrocious.    

... in your opinion. 

Others may even say that about a SIX option list. Or a two option list. 

If we're expecting everyone to come away from this happy, we're somewhere between confused and delusional. 

You know what?  I've finally been beaten into total capitulation. 

And this sums up the fear of mine when I said "control what's yours to control." 

The long process (legal, institutional) and cooling off delays have worn many down. (Nothing personal, Mafia, but you exposed the sentiment.) This is exactly the play, the tactic, the folks that got the old nickname removed used, namely grind grind grind. 

I fear many have reached this same point, ceding what is theirs to control (and what should've been taken care of anywhere from 3 to 8 years ago) to the folks that play the long game (planning to win the war of attrition). Leigh Jeanotte and his minions are smirking. They mastered the tactic. 

When the battle was lost those of us who care about UND Athletics shouldn't have run away demanding time to negotiate further (with the unwilling) or "cooling off periods" but instead run towards demanding full control of an immediate solution. Well some of us did, but were disregarded. 

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 1

Funny, the opposite of what Kelly actually said.

Pres Kelly, are you going to allow ND back on the ballot? 

"Im still listening to stakeholders , stay tuned"

Whether he decides to allow it back on or not, he needs to finally make up his mind soon.  Truly a month's worth of input would be enough  time for a decision wouldn't it?

His best bet to save face is to let No Nickname back into the vote & it wins by a landslide - then when he is gone there is another attempt to pick a new name down the road & learn from all the mistakes

Edited by Fetch
  • Upvote 2