SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

Maybe next time leave it all up to a committee of current Athletes - their going to be the ones to embrace it or be stuck with it

Most were just little kids when all this crap happened - might not have all the garbage affecting their decisions

Most won't  even be from here or ND

Edited by Fetch

I think that most of that are in favor of UND picking a new nickname are putting a lot of faith that when it comes to a public vote, Sundogs will get very low support and that Kelley would never pick a name that finished dead last in stakeholder voting.  SO unless Kelley picks Sundogs, there is no reason to freak out.

And I think you're putting a lot of faith in President Kelley.

And this sums up the fear of mine when I said "control what's yours to control." 

The long process (legal, institutional) and cooling off delays have worn many down. (Nothing personal, Mafia, but you exposed the sentiment.) This is exactly the play, the tactic, the folks that got the old nickname removed used, namely grind grind grind. 

I fear many have reached this same point, ceding what is theirs to control (and what should've been taken care of anywhere from 3 to 8 years ago) to the folks that play the long game (planning to win the war of attrition). Leigh Jeanotte and his minions are smirking. They mastered the tactic. 

When the battle was lost those of us who care about UND Athletics shouldn't have run away demanding time to negotiate further (with the unwilling) or "cooling off periods" but instead run towards demanding full control of an immediate solution. Well some of us did, but were disregarded. 

I agree totally - and this is why "Sundogs" has more than a fighting chance at being the new nickname.

• Upvote 1

No matter where you fall on North Dakota as the nickname you have to admit the whole "UND could be sanctioned if fans cheer Fighting Sioux" is a big ruse. I've read Sports Illustrated stories about Stanford graduates still wearing Redmen shirts and we all know that there are many Warriors Forever fans in Marquette. So why hasn't there ever been any threats from the NCAA to those schools about wearing Redman/Warrior logos to playoffs or  cheers? It just seems too convenient that the NCAA is willing to throw out threats like that at UND - when it is obvious that Kelly and others internally at UND don't want North Dakota as the nickname. And we all know where those at Forum Communications stand - they are giving way too much credence to an "If" then "Perhaps" comment from the NCAA.   

• Upvote 2

No matter where you fall on North Dakota as the nickname you have to admit the whole "UND could be sanctioned if fans cheer Fighting Sioux" is a big ruse. I've read Sports Illustrated stories about Stanford graduates still wearing Redmen shirts and we all know that there are many Warriors Forever fans in Marquette. So why hasn't there ever been any threats from the NCAA to those schools about wearing Redman/Warrior logos to playoffs or  cheers? It just seems too convenient that the NCAA is willing to throw out threats like that at UND - when it is obvious that Kelly and others internally at UND don't want North Dakota as the nickname. And we all know where those at Forum Communications stand - they are giving way too much credence to an "If" then "Perhaps" comment from the NCAA.   

Kelley couldn't possibly be asking the NCAA to make such threats against UND in order to force the school to pick a new nickname, could he?  

Now where have I heard of that tactic being used before...?

• Upvote 2

... in your opinion. 

Others may even say that about a SIX option list. Or a two option list. 

If we're expecting everyone to come away from this happy, we're somewhere between confused and delusional. 

yes Sic.... My opinion....  Imagine that- people posting their very own opinions on message boards....  Who woulda thunk it?  

Stay thirsty my friend.

Kelley couldn't possibly be asking the NCAA to make such threats against UND in order to force the school to pick a new nickname, could he?  

Now where have I heard of that tactic being used before...?

To think Kelley actually has UND's best interests at heart at this stage of the nickname process and in his presidency is as realistic as the Dow climbing back over 17000 today.

• Upvote 2

(sigh).  Once again North Dakota crowd, can you please remember to add the part where they actually picked a new nickname?  You forgot that MAJOR part of the equation.  

They didn't say FU to the NCAA and stay Stanford or stay Marquette.  But I know, we are better than Stanford.  :silly:

• Upvote 1

Sorry if this was posted already....from yesterday's Herald, Opinion section.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/letters/3823798-letter-attention-ncaa-sioux-name-part-unds-history

Can somebody tell that clown to stop writing that crap that's 100% false?  He did it on twitter too.  Much like CMSioux's post above, he completely ignores the point that if UND selects a new nickname, the "Sioux" fans can yell whatever they want forever. and ever.  The NCAA could not care less.  

At least understand the issue at hand if you going to write a letter to the editor. 

Edited by Sioux83
  • Downvote 2

Can somebody tell that clown to stop writing that crap that's 100% false?  He did it on twitter too.  Much like CMSioux's post above, he completely ignores the point that if UND selects a new nickname, the "Sioux" fans can yell whatever they want forever. and ever.  The NCAA could not care less.  

At least understand the issue at hand if you going to write a letter to the editor. 

Ok, I will try. Hey clown,  stop writing this 100% false fear mongering crap. To think you write this shyt on an internet website, over and over and over and over!

Just try to understand how stupid your scare tactic is! 

• Upvote 2

Now we have a fear mongering duel going on.  UND says the NCAA will put them on sanctions if they don't pick a new name.  The stay North Dakota crowd claims they can't ever say Sioux again at games or UND will go on sanctions.  Sh*tshow.

One is as stupid as the other, but you know what, you and your 3 buddies on here started all of it with your scare tactics that will NEVER happen! Now people are using the bs tactic towards your side and you are having a fit!

Classic!

• Upvote 3

Sorry if this was posted already....from yesterday's Herald, Opinion section.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/letters/3823798-letter-attention-ncaa-sioux-name-part-unds-history

Unfortunately there are many others that are just as inimformed about this particular issue with the same opinion.  And a few of them post on this site!!! (Even Portland State fans) :)

One is as stupid as the other, but you know what, you and your 3 buddies on here started all of it with your scare tactics that will NEVER happen! Now people are using the bs tactic towards your side and you are having a fit!

You sound like the people who said the NCCA would never be able to force coerce UND to retire the Fighting Sioux nickname.  How'd that turn out?  They have already stated that it very well could end with UND facing sanctions and yet you're still going to go with it will never happen?  Something about "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it" or something like that...?

Edited by jdub27

Classic!

Did I make up the rumor?  Why are you saying my buddies and I made it up.  UND sent out the correspondence to Goon.  

Another person who gets it: http://www.grandforksherald.com/letters/3823794-letter-no-nickname-option-shouldnt-be-allowed

Continuing with that name is just an attempt to be known as the hockey team that had its name taken away by the NCAA.

This is a hockey-only fight, and the groups kicking and screaming for North Dakota don't care about the rest of the university or community. The people who will raise a ruckus already don't like Kelley; why should he care what their reaction is?

It is in the best interest of the community to move on and pull this Band-Aid off.

That is how I see this issue as well. And I can relate to the closing comment:

I am ready for the cyber insults that will come my way with this letter.

In other words, don't sing it. Bring it. :p