SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

How is it that you know for a fact St. Cloud State, Wisconsin, and Minnesota will all go "complain" to the NCAA because someone's wearing a fighting sioux jersey?  How is that you know for a fact that the NCAA will sanction UND as a result of this fan wearing a fighting sioux jersey?

SCSU refused to recognize UND as the Fighting Sioux before the policy started by not printing their nickname and logo and not announcing their nickname at games. Minnesota and Wisconsin are part of the Big 10 who has a no NA nickname policy, you don't think there are people who won't protest at those games when droves of Sioux fans pack Mariucci, and the Kohl Center. Don't put anything past the NCAA, anti NA nickname groups or even media as you see the mess we are in now.

First of all, I will not be "moving along" anytime soon.

Second of all, this is the same song and dance we heard when the policy was announced on August 5th, 2005: People were pooh-poohing the potential negative consequences of the nickname policy if it was not overturned and we kept the name and logo as so many men's hockey rubes wanted (because, after all, we can't host regionals anymore anyway, so just accept the sanctions).

The NCAA remembers who we are and they probably will never like us. So why give them an opening to attack us again? We need to cover our a$$es so our coaches and athletes can focus on winning and not stuff like this.

If you're so scared about the possibility of sanctions against UND then you wouldn't wear Fighting Sioux clothes to a UND game.  So you either aren't really scared about the possibility of sanctions against UND or you don't care about UND.

Oh, and by the way, move along.

All it takes is for one person or school to complain to the NCAA about some fans wearing Fighting Sioux gear (which I will continue doing) to bring back the scrutiny and potentially bring back the sanctions. And there are still enough people at hockey games (home, away and at postseason tournaments) that wear the name and logo and voice their support for them to make this a potential pitfall in the future.

Sorry, thanks for playing, please play again.

Woe unto those who live in the 'wreckage of the future'.

SCSU refused to recognize UND as the Fighting Sioux before the policy started by not printing their nickname and logo and not announcing their nickname at games. Minnesota and Wisconsin are part of the Big 10 who has a no NA nickname policy, you don't think there are people who won't protest at those games when droves of Sioux fans pack Mariucci, and the Kohl Center. Don't put anything past the NCAA, anti NA nickname groups or even media as you see the mess we are in now.

Well, since the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux no longer exists, that takes care of that!

All it takes is for one person or school to complain to the NCAA about some fans wearing Fighting Sioux gear (which I will continue doing) to bring back the scrutiny and potentially bring back the sanctions. And there are still enough people at hockey games (home, away and at postseason tournaments) that wear the name and logo and voice their support for them to make this a potential pitfall in the future.

Sorry, thanks for playing, please play again.

Um. We don't know that!

Don't recall seeing anything about that either.  Again, whether or not there is a new nickname, the report from UND's office was that if other schools complain, the NCAA would investigate, and it might, might result in sanctions.

If the anti-no nickname crowd actually cared about UND like they allege they do, they should make a bigger effort to stomp out the use of Fighting Sioux at UND games regardless of a new nickname. 

Instead, we have people like fightingsioux4life, who obviously cares nothing about UND, and says he's going to continue to wear Fighting Sioux gear at UND games regardless of what the NCAA says.  If sanctions occur, I guess I know where to point the finger!

Look junior, don't EVER question my loyalty to this institution. I went to school there, I work there and I have been following ALL our programs for years. I also am a Coaches Club member and season ticket holder for men's hockey and football. I also make it to an occasional basketball game here and there (both men and women). My credentials are solid as a rock. So please don't make this personal, there is no need to.

Also, you misrepresented what the NCAA said about this. Basically, they told us that if we choose a new nickname and logo, it wouldn't matter what people wore to games or what they said at games. BUT....and this is what you guys like to ignore.....if we go without a nickname and logo and other schools complain about our fans continuing to use the old name and logo at athletic events, then sanctions might be back on the table because the NCAA might believe that the Fighting Sioux name and logo have become the "unofficial name and logo" of UND, thus still creating a "hostile and abusive" (their views, not mine) environment for coaches, student-athletes and fans.

That is enough of a threat for me to want us to choose a new name and logo and put all this behind us.

And, if sanctions occur, I will be pointing the finger at YOU and your ilk.

End Rant.

• Upvote 1

I realize you are an interested observer(i.e., non-alum, non-student, non-stakeholder, non-faculty) in UND's Name and as such you should do a little less typing and a lot more reading and observing. Thank you now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look junior, don't EVER question my loyalty to this institution. I went to school there, I work there and I have been following ALL our programs for years. I also am a Coaches Club member and season ticket holder for men's hockey and football. I also make it to an occasional basketball game here and there (both men and women). My credentials are solid as a rock. So please don't make this personal, there is no need to.

Also, you misrepresented what the NCAA said about this. Basically, they told us that if we choose a new nickname and logo, it wouldn't matter what people wore to games or what they said at games. BUT....and this is what you guys like to ignore.....if we go without a nickname and logo and other schools complain about our fans continuing to use the old name and logo at athletic events, then sanctions might be back on the table because the NCAA might believe that the Fighting Sioux name and logo have become the "unofficial name and logo" of UND, thus still creating a "hostile and abusive" (their views, not mine) environment for coaches, student-athletes and fans.

That is enough of a threat for me to want us to choose a new name and logo and put all this behind us.

And, if sanctions occur, I will be pointing the finger at YOU and your ilk.

End Rant.

Eh, move along.

• Upvote 2

If you're so scared about the possibility of sanctions against UND then you wouldn't wear Fighting Sioux clothes to a UND game.  So you either aren't really scared about the possibility of sanctions against UND or you don't care about UND.

Oh, and by the way, move along.

You are misrepresenting the issue here (as usual). The NCAA said, not in so many words, that if we chose a new name and logo, it wouldn't matter what people did at games. But if we continue as "UND/North Dakota" and people start complaining again (which they probably will; B.R.I.D.G.E.S. immediately comes to mind), then they will investigate us for possible sanctions. Learn to read between the lines, it really helps when you are trying to figure out what organizations like the NCAA really mean.

You are misrepresenting the issue here (as usual). The NCAA said, not in so many words, that if we chose a new name and logo, it wouldn't matter what people did at games. But if we continue as "UND/North Dakota" and people start complaining again (which they probably will; B.R.I.D.G.E.S. immediately comes to mind), then they will investigate us for possible sanctions. Learn to read between the lines, it really helps when you are trying to figure out what organizations like the NCAA really mean.

cool story, bro.

• Upvote 2

I realize you are an interested observer(i.e., non-alum, non-student, non-stakeholder, non-faculty) in UND's Name and as such you should do a little less typing and a lot more reading and observing. Thank you now.

So this board is just for alums students and faculty. That goes along with the Bison fan that would make fun of me for being a UND fan because I didn't attend the school (only those who attend can be fans). So I need to not type anything because being a die hard UND fan (I'n wearing a Sioux shirt as I type this) a Grand Forks resident from the time I was born (1976) until I moved to Fargo (1999) and athletic supporter since I buy game tickets and UND gear, I should just get off the board....well tough.

If you want to trust the NCAA, go right on ahead. I for one will not put anything past them.

And yet, you openly wear Fighting Sioux gear to UND sporting events despite knowing that the NCAA has threatened sanctions if schools complain about fans wearing Fighting Sioux gear to UND sporting events.  I mean, you wouldn't put that or "anything" past the NCAA, right?

Too bad you're not looking out for UND's interests like me and the rest of us.

• Upvote 2

Back away from the ledge - now the discussion is that fans can't wear FIghting Sioux clothing to away games? And the thought is that there would be a big enough complaint from host schools that the NCAA would take action - now that's just frickin ridiculous. What if I wear a shirt that has an eagle feather on it?  

Three feathers in black.jpg

And yet, you openly wear Fighting Sioux gear to UND sporting events despite knowing that the NCAA has threatened sanctions if schools complain about fans wearing Fighting Sioux gear to UND sporting events.  I mean, you wouldn't put that or "anything" past the NCAA, right?

Too bad you're not looking out for UND's interests like me and the rest of us.

You are committing a lie of omission. IF WE PICK A NEW NAME, then Fighting Sioux won't be looked at as an "unofficial" name. That is all we need to do to put this to bed. PICK A NEW NAME. But you and others on here are more interested in sticking a finger in the eye of the NCAA and the others that forced this change.

Four words for the "UND/North Dakota" camp: Don't poke the bear.

• Upvote 1

Sanctions only apply if no nickname is selected and UND goes by just "North Dakota".  If UND picks a new nickname, wear all the Fighing Sioux stuff you want and yell all the Sioux chants you want.  NCAA can't do anything because UND has selected a new name.  UND can't control people embracing the new name.  

Sanctions only apply if no nickname is selected and UND goes by just "North Dakota".  If UND picks a new nickname, wear all the Fighing Sioux stuff you want and yell all the Sioux chants you want.  NCAA can't do anything because UND has selected a new name.  UND can't control people embracing the new name.  

Please don't use facts the no nickname crowd doesn't like that.

You are committing a lie of omission. IF WE PICK A NEW NAME, then Fighting Sioux won't be looked at as an "unofficial" name. That is all we need to do to put this to bed. PICK A NEW NAME. But you and others on here are more interested in sticking a finger in the eye of the NCAA and the others that forced this change.

Four words for the "UND/North Dakota" camp: Don't poke the bear.

If you want to trust the NCAA, go right on ahead. I for one will not put anything past them.

Have it both ways then.  But considering what the NCAA has said, and that you wouldn't put "anything" past them, I just question why you would risk the future of UND athletics--that is, unless you don't care about the future of UND athletics.

Have it both ways then.  But considering what the NCAA has said, and that you wouldn't put "anything" past them, I just question why you would risk the future of UND athletics--that is, unless you don't care about the future of UND athletics.

I was responding to your comment that not having a nickname wouldn't be a problem at all. If we pick a new name, the NCAA won't bother us; they basically would have gotten everything they wanted back on August 5th, 2005. But if we don't pick a new name, then they will have all the opening they need to slap us down again.

Go Nodaks 

Or Sundogs if ND Does not get back on the vote

I bet Kelly is just waiting to just implement Sundogs & not even have a vote

Kelley will not pick Sundogs. He will want to avoid any major uproar from the fans and the community. He'll pick Roughriders because that will be acceptable to a lot of people, even the Fighting Sioux Hardliners.

He'll probably just name UND the "Robert Kelley's" as his last act in office.

HEY! I think you stumbled onto something.

UND Kelly. Just like the Stanford Cardinal.

We can then pick anything we want for a mascot and logo. Give me the night to think about this.

Nice Work Benny!