SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

Being both sides have now employed this tactic, I propose a compromise of the Fighting Fearmongerers.

Fearmongering?  Really?  Question for you.  If UND were to keep the Fighting Sioux name (without approval laid out in the settlement) would they be able to host an NCAA playoff game?  Was that fear mongering as well?  Hobe bout another non-UND related example.  Did the NCAA allow post season games/tournaments/etc in the state of South Carolina when they had the confederate flag flwon at the capitol and in other locations within the state?  These are real actual actions that the NCAA can and will enforce.  Why?  Because they have every rightto do so.  Threats of sanctions are real and should be taken weriously.

• Upvote 1

Fearmongering?  Really?  Question for you.  If UND were to keep the Fighting Sioux name (without approval laid out in the settlement) would they be able to host an NCAA playoff game?  Was that fear mongering as well?  Hobe bout another non-UND related example.  Did the NCAA allow post season games/tournaments/etc in the state of South Carolina when they had the confederate flag flwon at the capitol and in other locations within the state?  These are real actual actions that the NCAA can and will enforce.  Why?  Because they have every rightto do so.  Threats of sanctions are real and should be taken weriously.

STOP!! Where does he say to "keep fighting Sioux"? 

I know, if we want no nickname we are ALL wanting the old logo back....WRONG!

• Upvote 2

Did the NCAA allow post season games/tournaments/etc in the state of South Carolina when they had the confederate flag flwon at the capitol and in other locations within the state? 

with tongue deeply planted in cheek...

so so if UND were to go back to fighting Sioux, does that mean that no more playoff games can be held in North Dakota? Can UND mess with NDSU that way and keep football playoff games out of the Fargodome as well as the Alerus? Cool! Let's do it!

So it all comes down to this;

Pick a name, any name

FIghting Sioux continues as the unofficial nickname and nothing changes as far as crowd cheering, wearing Sioux gear to games etc, - of course the lack of access to Fighting Sioux clothing means an evolution will take place but it could take at least a decade. Based on my personal experience I know there are many current students who have a connection to Fighting Sioux and won't be the first on the new nickname bandwagon. 

Any complaints about Sioux cheers would be baseless since UND has a new nickname. 

• Upvote 2

Pick a name, any name

FIghting Sioux continues as the unofficial nickname and nothing changes as far as crowd cheering, wearing Sioux gear to games etc, - of course the lack of access to Fighting Sioux clothing means an evolution will take place but it could take at least a decade. Based on my personal experience I know there are many current students who have a connection to Fighting Sioux and won't be the first on the new nickname bandwagon. 

Any complaints about Sioux cheers would be baseless since UND has a new nickname. 

DING, DING, DING....we have a winner.

three words for you and a few of your friends:

Lighten up, Francis.

Pick a name, any name

Thats right, we would be the same as Illinois, Arkansas St, Marquette, (name your once Indian nicknamed school here). However on the flip side the chants of Let's go Sioux will diminish more and more and be almost non-existant in about 5-10 years. (See Dartmouth, Stanford, Grand Forks Central)

Let's play the hypothetical game!!

Let's just say that Kelley allows "North Dakota" to be back on the names under consideration, it gets overwhelming support in a public vote and is adopted as our new nickname.  The people who wanted no nickname and just to be "North Dakota" will be happy and satisfied.  They got what they wanted.  Now I am just wondering how many of those people that supported  "North Dakota" and voted for it in the public vote will act at UND sporting events.  What will they yell when referring to the UND athletic team they are watching?  Will they yell "GO UND", "Go North Dakota", etc.  What will these sopporters wear to games?  Will it be shirts and hoodies with the interlocking ND on them?  Will they always refer to the team as  "North Dakota"? 

If these supporters truley did support the cause and name they so passionately support, the answers to these questions will be "Absulutely"!!  If that is what they really want, you won't see any of them, not a single one, wear anything, say anything, refer to any team, etc that says Fighting Sioux.  These supports have said that picking "North Dakota" has nothing to do with trying to hold on to the old nickname.  So I wouldn't expect anything but full support for just "North Dakota" from all these supportes and no reference of Fighting Sioux in anything they say, wear, or do.  Right?!! 

Stick to the subject.

Pick a name, any name

Tell the NCAA we have chosen to be referred to as The University of North Dakota.

Everything else you said is the same.

Thats right, we would be the same as Illinois, Arkansas St, Marquette, (name your once Indian nicknamed school here). However on the flip side the chants of Let's go Sioux will diminish more and more and be almost non-existant in about 5-10 years. (See Dartmouth, Stanford, Grand Forks Central)

Marquette.

If you think that the make-up of fans at UND sporting events is really going to change much over the next 5-10 years you are mistaken. And quit including GF Central in the conversation.....it has no relevance.

Edited by petey23

If you think that the make-up of fans at UND sporting events is really going to change much over the next 5-10 years you are mistaken.

Personal opinion only, but I'd argue it noticeably has already.  That includes all sports I've attended in the last year or two (MH, WH, VB, MBB, WBB and FB).

Let's play the hypothetical game!!

Let's just say that Kelley allows "North Dakota" to be back on the names under consideration, it gets overwhelming support in a public vote and is adopted as our new nickname.  The people who wanted no nickname and just to be "North Dakota" will be happy and satisfied.  They got what they wanted.  Now I am just wondering how many of those people that supported  "North Dakota" and voted for it in the public vote will act at UND sporting events.  What will they yell when referring to the UND athletic team they are watching?  Will they yell "GO UND", "Go North Dakota", etc.  What will these sopporters wear to games?  Will it be shirts and hoodies with the interlocking ND on them?  Will they always refer to the team as  "North Dakota"? 

If these supporters truley did support the cause and name they so passionately support, the answers to these questions will be "Absulutely"!!  If that is what they really want, you won't see any of them, not a single one, wear anything, say anything, refer to any team, etc that says Fighting Sioux.  These supports have said that picking "North Dakota" has nothing to do with trying to hold on to the old nickname.  So I wouldn't expect anything but full support for just "North Dakota" from all these supportes and no reference of Fighting Sioux in anything they say, wear, or do.  Right?!! 

Idiotic take.

I have gear with UND, and North Dakota, and Fighting Sioux on it. I will continue to wear these items to UND sporting events in the future. Doesn't matter if we decide to go with THE University of North Dakota or one of the crappy names we have left to choose from. I will also continue to buy apparel with UND and The University of North Dakota, and the interlocking UND on it but would  never buy anything with a new logo or name on it due to the steaming pile we have left(I am assuming North Stars won't be the choice) to choose from.

I was and am in favor of choosing a new nickname. Unfortunately the process failed this time, rewind a bit and get it right so we don't do this again in 5 years.

As far as cheering I would imagine myself and others will still be cheering "Let Go Sioux" for the next 20-30 years but that would happen whether we remain just North Dakota or choose a crappy nickname.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

with tongue deeply planted in cheek...

so so if UND were to go back to fighting Sioux, does that mean that no more playoff games can be held in North Dakota? Can UND mess with NDSU that way and keep football playoff games out of the Fargodome as well as the Alerus? Cool! Let's do it!

Love your idea ;) , but, it was the STATE of SC's display of the flag so the NCAA decided to boycott the State. The schools in the State got swept up by that. 

In the UND case, it would be UND doing it so only UND would face the consequences. 

Edited by The Sicatoka

Marquette.

If you think that the make-up of fans at UND sporting events is really going to change much over the next 5-10 years you are mistaken. And quit including GF Central in the conversation.....it has no relevance.

It already changed, there is less and less Fighting Sioux gear wearing fans in the seats along with the disappearance of Let's Go Sioux and Home of the Sioux and it's been 3 years since we haven't had a nickname.  Prepare for more Sioux-less fans when we get a nickname. I use GFC as reference because it's in UND's backyard and UND is going through exactly what happened to the Redskin name. 

then the argument that UND cannot be the Roughriders because Red River has that name also has no relevance.

I agree. I never said UND cannot be the Roughriders? It is 1 of 2 names left that I could live with. Like it...no, love it....no. Live with it...I guess

Also, your idea of good solution is to not do anything, stay North Dakota, wait for the NCAA to tell UND they need a nickname, then do the entire process over again?  That is best for the University of North Dakota?

Going back and creating a process to choose a new nickname? Yes without a doubt that is what is best for UND. The first try failed. Learn from it and try again.

• Upvote 1

It already changed, there is less and less Fighting Sioux gear wearing fans in the seats along with the disappearance of Let's Go Sioux and Home of the Sioux and it's been 3 years since we haven't had a nickname.  Prepare for more Sioux-less fans when we get a nickname. I use GFC as reference because it's in UND's backyard and UND is going through exactly what happened to the Redskin name. 

Less "home of the Sioux" and "lets go Sioux" chants? Have you just been to high school hockey games then? I have season tickets to the hockey games, the chants are as loud as ever in my opinion depending on whether a younger or older person is sitting next to you, older people tend to not be as vocal

• Upvote 1

Less "home of the Sioux" and "lets go Sioux" chants? Have you just been to high school hockey games then? I have season tickets to the hockey games, the chants are as loud as ever in my opinion depending on whether a younger or older person is sitting next to you, older people tend to not be as vocal

Ever been to a game outside the REA? It's not so loud in fact it's almost non-existent in the Alerus.

• Upvote 1

Ever been to a game outside the REA? It's not so loud in fact it's almost non-existent in the Alerus.

Can I take this? That not at all true. The Fargo Regional, The WJC game between Canada and Russia, the Xcel with UND in the championship (a couple of times), game seven Boston vs. New Jersey in the old Garden and the UND Regional before the Michigan Game were the loudest games I have ever attended. Let's not forget UND vs. WSU in a playoff game at the Alerus, that was really loud, too. 

Edited by Goon