SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

The Nickel trophy with an Indian chief head on one side will be considered demeaning and will be/has been retired like the Confederate flag. The Bully trophy will come into existence as soon as the Roughrider mascot is approved. TR on one side and a Bison on the other. (I am typing this with as much of a Siouxvolley authoritative tone as I can muster).

That's pretty much the definition of a traveling trophy. One side can't unilaterally decide to just keep the trophy. It's not theirs to keep.

Do any of you have any evidence that NDSU, Blue Key, or any other party ever actually agreed that the trophy would only be contested in "annual" games, or that there was ever any agreement of the parties that UND's settlement with the NCAA affected NDSU's rights to the trophy in any way? If not, the terms are that the current holder brings the trophy to the next game and the winner of that game gets possession of it until they lose it on the field. If UND can't do that, it needs to work something out with NDSU. To my knowledge, it has not.

Would the definition of a traveling trophy also include any information about one side unilaterally refusing to travel 70 miles?  

UND no longer has a Blue Key organization anymore I am told. Its my understanding that Blue Key and UND have had some talks about the future of the trophy considering it will never be played for again. But didnt I read an article where Faison said the Nickle was out of the picture and retired?

When UND's Blue Key shut down, the UND Student Government was given the responsibility to be their stand-in.  Faison is on record saying both sides agreed the trophy wasn't going to be played for going forward.

That's pretty much the definition of a traveling trophy. One side can't unilaterally decide to just keep the trophy. It's not theirs to keep.

Do any of you have any evidence that NDSU, Blue Key, or any other party ever actually agreed that the trophy would only be contested in "annual" games, or that there was ever any agreement of the parties that UND's settlement with the NCAA affected NDSU's rights to the trophy in any way? If not, the terms are that the current holder brings the trophy to the next game and the winner of that game gets possession of it until they lose it on the field. If UND can't do that, it needs to work something out with NDSU. To my knowledge, it has not.

Well it was never played for during playoffs, so there is precedence that it has only been played for during annual regular season games.  And considering it is a rivalry trophy and UND fan's are told over and over again that they are no longer NDSU's rival, not sure what the point of playing for it would be.

When UND's Blue Key shut down, the UND Student Government was given the responsibility to be their stand-in.  Faison is on record saying both sides agreed the trophy wasn't going to be played for going forward.

Well it was never played for during playoffs, so there is precedence that it has only been played for during annual regular season games.  And considering it is a rivalry trophy and UND fan's are told over and over again that they are no longer NDSU's rival, not sure what the point of playing for it would be.

Thanks for the confirmation. I also have never heard of a traveling trophy being played for out of the regular season. Plus the fact the Sioux nickname isnt on the table anymore there is no reason to play for it.

Are these are the comments you're referring to?

http://www.inforum.com/content/no-nickel-trophy-wont-be-part-renewed-und-ndsu-rivalry

If so, they seem pretty unilateral to me. "NDSU officials are aware that the Nickel Trophy won’t be on the line next season" and "the Nickel Trophy will be retired and likely displayed somewhere on campus."

There's really nothing about NDSU agreeing to anything in that article, and, assuming that when he says "somewhere on campus", he means "somewhere on UND's campus," his comments are unacceptable. It's not UND's trophy. Brian Faison doesn't have the right to make any such decisions.

I know I am in the minority, but I wouldn't have a problem if the Nickle were up for grabs for these next two games.

I really don't see why it should be retired because of the nickname change. It is a replica of legal tender.

I agree. But the PC crowd or the fear of the PC crowd wont let it happen.

The legacy of the trophy was that is was to be awarded to the winner of the "annual" football game between UND and SU. Times change, time to move on - I doubt there are many schools that have a travelling trophy with a school they only play once every four years with no guarantee of future match-ups. It should be given to the state historical society in Bismarck. It would be great if it could be displayed showing all the scores during the series. 

The legacy of the trophy was that is was to be awarded to the winner of the "annual" football game between UND and SU. Times change, time to move on - I doubt there are many schools that have a travelling trophy with a school they only play once every four years with no guarantee of future match-ups. It should be given to the state historical society in Bismarck. It would be great if it could be displayed showing all the scores during the series.

^^ This.

I agree with your last statement, it should be shown for everyone to see.

There are numerous examples of trophy games that are not played annually. As long as it is in our possession, it should be displayed at the Alerus, the Home of North Dakota Football.

IMO, the idea that the trophy can't, or shouldn't, be played for because it's not an "annual" game is no more than self-serving nonsense. Those who say that should ask themselves if they would have the same attitude if NDSU currently had possession of the trophy, and was refusing to bring it to the FargoDome on Sept 19th. I highly doubt they would. 

IMO, the idea that the trophy can't, or shouldn't, be played for because it's not an "annual" game is no more than self-serving nonsense. Those who say that should ask themselves if they would have the same attitude if NDSU currently had possession of the trophy, and was refusing to bring it to the FargoDome on Sept 19th. I highly doubt they would.

Maybe it was part of the deal when Gene Taylor kept moving goalposts to get the series restarted. It could have been part of the contract that Gene let sit on his desk. After all , according to your athletic dept this is just another game to fill the schedule.

IMO, the idea that the trophy can't, or shouldn't, be played for because it's not an "annual" game is no more than self-serving nonsense. Those who say that should ask themselves if they would have the same attitude if NDSU currently had possession of the trophy, and was refusing to bring it to the FargoDome on Sept 19th. I highly doubt they would.

Also, here is an article with a quote from your interim AD at the time the contract was signed saying the nickel trophy is no longer part of the tradition. As much as you want it to be true, your athletic director agreed to it in the final negotiations and it was covered up front.

http://www.inforum.com/content/ndsu-interim-athletic-director-says-taylor-spearheaded-renewing-und-football-games

Maybe it was part of the deal when Gene Taylor kept moving goalposts to get the series restarted. It could have been part of the contract that Gene let sit on his desk. After all , according to your athletic dept this is just another game to fill the schedule.

Let's not leave out the fact that Faison kept turning down Genes offers and finally settled for the worst one. I believe the first offer was an every other year game with the first one being played in Fargo and the second was to be played in Grand Forks. But of course it's all NDSU and Gene's fault. Look at your half wit althletic director for the delay. He finally caves and takes a 2 game contract both in Fargo. You have quite the leadership up running your athletic department.