SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

Do you mean like how Bison and Sioux football is irrelevant to 99.999999% of college sports fans in general?

Hey, I love UND sports, including football, but I understand the difference between former UND players who are now NHL superstars making millions of dollars and toting around the Stanley Cup compared to an FCS subdivision championship won in a soccer stadium in Texas.

Not my fault if the ditch diggers from Fargo U can't figure it out.

Well, assuming that there are about 340 million people in this country, and that about 25% of them are football fans (which is probably conservative). That would mean that, by your numbers, Bison and Sioux football is only relevant to 85 people in the whole country.

It's wonderful that UND has players in the NHL, and it's great that they're making lots of money. But, that doesn't change the popularity of either NCAA hockey or FCS football. The guys making all that money playing hockey aren't wearing Sioux jerseys anymore.  

Seriously, your point is not only ridiculous, but it only serves to denigrate your own school. It's hard to understand why anyone would say something like that.

Well, assuming that there are about 340 million people in this country, and that about 25% of them are football fans (which is probably conservative). That would mean that, by your numbers, Bison and Sioux football is only relevant to 85 people in the whole country.

It's wonderful that UND has players in the NHL, and it's great that they're making lots of money. But, that doesn't change the popularity of either NCAA hockey or FCS football. The guys making all that money playing hockey aren't wearing Sioux jerseys anymore.  

Seriously, your point is not only ridiculous, but it only serves to denigrate your own school. It's hard to understand why anyone would say something like that.

Did I not say that I love UND sports?  I like FCS football and other sports at UND besides hockey.  But, hockey is at the highest level, while football is not. 

I said it because it is true. 

Especially the last line, which you have admirably proven to be true.  :D

Do you mean like how Bison and Sioux football is irrelevant to 99.999999% of college sports fans in general?

Hey, I love UND sports, including football, but I understand the difference between former UND players who are now NHL superstars making millions of dollars and toting around the Stanley Cup compared to an FCS subdivision championship won in a soccer stadium in Texas.

Not my fault if the ditch diggers from Fargo U can't figure it out.

Just curious what you mean by"Ditch diggers from Fargo"?

Yeah, that was kind of rude.

I meant home ec majors. 

I just don't understand how NDSU being a Home EC and Farming school can have 21 overall National Championships while the Flagship University in North Dakota can have only 12.

I just don't understand how NDSU being a Home EC and Farming school can have 21 overall National Championships while the Flagship University in North Dakota can have only 12.

Well, it gives them something to focus on while they work under the orders of graduates of UND. 

It's not such a bad thing for them, really.

Did I not say that I love UND sports?  I like FCS football and other sports at UND besides hockey.  But, hockey is at the highest level, while football is not. 

I said it because it is true. 

Especially the last line, which you have admirably proven to be true.  :D

Oh c'mon, you know better than that. There's a reason why only slightly more than 10% of all Division I schools even bother with a varsity hockey program.

So Larson of NDSU is open to the idea of playing the NDSU-UNI games in the new Vikings Stadium?

Some Bison fans want the next UND game there in 2019, because they think they can get a pretty large crowd and make a small fortune and because it would prove that they own the Cities.

Would not be opposed to such a location for a UND game.

Oh c'mon, you know better than that. There's a reason why only slightly more than 10% of all Division I schools even bother with a varsity hockey program.

And more than 60% of DI teams are in the South and West, where the is one DI school, Denver, and another one, Arizona St starting one. Do you suppose location and history have much impact on the locations of DI hockey schools and NHL teams?

Ninety percent of lacrosse teams are east of the Appalachians, but that didn't stop Denver from winning the whole thing. Plenty of Bison fans want to start their own lax team now, and there's not an excuse that it's a regional sport like hockey.

And more than 60% of DI teams are in the South and West, where the is one DI school, Denver, and another one, Arizona St starting one. Do you suppose location and history have much impact on the locations of DI hockey schools and NHL teams?

You'd think that someone is blowing it big time. The idea that there really are huge benefits to be had by sponsoring hockey is hard to reconcile with the fact that very few schools actually choose to do so.

For instance, one wonders why more Big Ten schools aren't lined up to get a piece of that action.

What wouldn't be on topic in a "dumpster fire thread?"

Maybe we could stick to the Xs and Os of the Sept. 19 game. Just a thought.  :whistling:  Most would find much more value in that than re-hashing the past and who wronged who and whose butt hurt is worse.

Maybe we could stick to the Xs and Os of the Sept. 19 game. Just a thought.  :whistling:  Most would find much more value in that than re-hashing the past and who wronged who and whose butt hurt is worse.

Of course you're right. But that works both ways.

So Larson of NDSU is open to the idea of playing the NDSU-UNI games in the new Vikings Stadium?

Some Bison fans want the next UND game there in 2019, because they think they can get a pretty large crowd and make a small fortune and because it would prove that they own the Cities.

Reading between some lines on some comments I've heard, I have a feeling there is a better chance of a UND/NDSU match-up in MSP than NDSU/UNI.  Both are a long shot but I'd bet on the former having a fairly higher probability than the latter.

Reading between some lines on some comments I've heard, I have a feeling there is a better chance of a UND/NDSU match-up in MSP than NDSU/UNI.  Both are a long shot but I'd bet on the former having a fairly higher probability than the latter.

Jimmy K somehow needs to be involved in this!! 

I would love a UND-NDSU game in Mpls. With young kids, I just don't have as much time to make it back to Grand Forks for games. Also with young kids, my in-laws (huge Bison fans) tend to come down alot. This would be a blast! I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position, and between both schools, there are plenty of Alumni around here, not to mention the large group that would travel for both teams.

Oh c'mon, you know better than that. There's a reason why only slightly more than 10% of all Division I schools even bother with a varsity hockey program.

Well I wish NDSU would get a hockey program, not because I think we would just dominate (though we would, right away), but because it would just be a fun rivalry game to have on the schedule. That and I am all for the growth of the sport.  

One solid alumni donation to get it started; and they could use the Scheels Center. I understand this will likely not happen, at least not in the forseeable future, but I still think it would be pretty awesome.

Well I wish NDSU would get a hockey program, not because I think we would just dominate (though we would, right away), but because it would just be a fun rivalry game to have on the schedule. That and I am all for the growth of the sport.

One solid alumni donation to get it started; and they could use the Scheels Center. I understand this will likely not happen, at least not in the forseeable future, but I still think it would be pretty awesome.

Me to

Me to

It would take a sugar daddy donation. Probably the biggest athletic donation in SU history to get the university to do it

The problem is that it makes little sense to play a game between two schools that are in the same state, and only 70 miles apart, 250 miles away in a different state. At least, MSP is about mid way between NDSU and UNI.

NDSU doesn't want, or need, the distraction of a startup hockey program. Far better to continue to build up the football and basketball programs. 

NDSU doesn't want, or need, the distraction of a startup hockey program. Far better to continue to build up the football and basketball programs. 

Arizona State starts a hockey program, but that is beneath NDSU.  Got it.