SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

Our unit is far superior but Delucca will be one of the best LBs in the nation. I will be shocked if he doesn't play on Sunday's. I'm not sure he's as fast as Rattelle but he is huge and has outstanding coverage skills. The rest of them are unproven which is why ours should be rated as better right now.

More experience, yes however two juniors are stepping in at outside line backer for us. I believe that within three games of the start of the season ndsu will be as solid as last year after beck went out. beck was a game changer because he was assignment smart.

Far superior? Where are all of their preseason all conference and all American accolades

I agree that the superiority gap isn't necessarily huge, but i have yet to see preseason accolades that are worth more than the paper they're printed on, especially at the FCS level where media unfamiliar with the conference as a whole tend to throw darts to make their picks and where coaches let waterboys and graduate assistants make their picks for them. I know it's different with Izzo and Caillou and with Wayne Nelson and Tom Miller, but I'm talking FCS in general.

More experience, yes however two juniors are stepping in at outside line backer for us. I believe that within three games of the start of the season ndsu will be as solid as last year after beck went out. beck was a game changer because he was assignment smart.

Those guys haven't really played and when they have there was a noticeable drop off.

Thanks, Johnboy!

As for UND....I'm curious what Disterhaupt has shown coaches to justify an early leapfrog over Labat. I fully realize things could change much between now and The Pokes game. The LBs should be the strength of Schmidt's 3-4 scheme, like old times. Don't sleep on Dranka and Greely on the line, too.

The Wyoming game will be played at elevation 7000 feet. Who the starting defensive players are may not be much more than a formality as a steady rotation of players may very well be needed.

The Wyoming game will be played at elevation 7000 feet. Who the starting defensive players are may not be much more than a formality as a steady rotation of players may very well be needed.

I forgot about that.  It is a huge advantage, and not to be underestimated.  I know in 2008 when we went, we did not have oxygen on the sideline, even though most visiting teams do.  It wasn't so much the ability to breathe, but my legs felt like I had cinder blocks tied to them in the fourth quarter.

Thanks, Johnboy!

As for UND....I'm curious what Disterhaupt has shown coaches to justify an early leapfrog over Labat. I fully realize things could change much between now and The Pokes game. The LBs should be the strength of Schmidt's 3-4 scheme, like old times. Don't sleep on Dranka and Greely on the line, too.

Disterhaupt- eye of the tiger, it's an intangible he plays with. Nothing wrong with 3 starting outside backers to keep guys fresh.

Disterhaupt- eye of the tiger, it's an intangible he plays with. Nothing wrong with 3 starting outside backers to keep guys fresh.

Absolutely. Throw in ILB O'Brien, OLB Harmston, OLB Labat, and New Mexico transfer ILB Baker and UND has solid depth behind the starters. Bubba ball is starting to take shape!

I forgot about that. It is a huge advantage, and not to be underestimated. I know in 2008 when we went, we did not have oxygen on the sideline, even though most visiting teams do. It wasn't so much the ability to breathe, but my legs felt like I had cinder blocks tied to them in the fourth quarter.

I take it you played in the game then? Tough one to stomach listening on the radio.

Went to a wrestling tourney in Denver once. Had a similar experience.

7220 feet. The field has that number as a friendly reminder for opposing teams.

Bohl works the Pokes like dogs. They want to exploit this advantage.

Hope we have depth...

What's the highest Altitude UND has played at? UNC?

Not sure on the highest but Greely, Co (UNC) is at 4660 feet asl, Bozeman, MT (MSU) is at 4800 feet asl, Cedar City (SUU) is at 5850 feet asl and Flagstaff (NAU) is at 7000 feet asl -- 220 feet lower than Laramie.

Not sure on the highest but Greely, Co (UNC) is at 4660 feet asl, Bozeman, MT (UM) is at 4800 feet asl, Cedar City (SUU) is at 5850 feet asl and Flagstaff (NAU) is at 7000 feet asl -- 220 feet lower than Laramie.

Forgot about Flagstaff. Good post!

Not sure on the highest but Greely, Co (UNC) is at 4660 feet asl, Bozeman, MT (MSU) is at 4800 feet asl, Cedar City (SUU) is at 5850 feet asl and Flagstaff (NAU) is at 7000 feet asl -- 220 feet lower than Laramie.

At least that helps a little, but playing and practicing at 843 feet (Grand Forks) is still going to wear you down when heading west.

That's pretty much the definition of a traveling trophy. One side can't unilaterally decide to just keep the trophy. It's not theirs to keep.

Do any of you have any evidence that NDSU, Blue Key, or any other party ever actually agreed that the trophy would only be contested in "annual" games, or that there was ever any agreement of the parties that UND's settlement with the NCAA affected NDSU's rights to the trophy in any way? If not, the terms are that the current holder brings the trophy to the next game and the winner of that game gets possession of it until they lose it on the field. If UND can't do that, it needs to work something out with NDSU. To my knowledge, it has not.

One year, one team travels to the other teams location and if they have the trophy they bring it with them and if they don't they try and win to take it back home with them. The following year, the other team repeats the process......until that is in place, go kick rocks.

Why didn't NDSU ever really pursue hockey ?

They have done many studies over the years. Astronomical start up costs  and a lack of  institutional, community and donor support were some of the big concerns that didn't make it viable.

Not saying there aren't fans who would love to see NDSU have a hockey program. There just aren't enough of them who would write the check.

We were talking about Bison and Sioux football. College hockey is completely irrelevant , both to this discussion and to 99% of college sports fans in general.

Do you mean like how Bison and Sioux football is irrelevant to 99.999999% of college sports fans in general?

Hey, I love UND sports, including football, but I understand the difference between former UND players who are now NHL superstars making millions of dollars and toting around the Stanley Cup compared to an FCS subdivision championship won in a soccer stadium in Texas.

Not my fault if the ditch diggers from Fargo U can't figure it out.

• Upvote 1