SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

Yah they will take their ball and go home (because they can't take the trophy). 

C'mon, you know who originally took their ball and went home. And, you also know who decided that the (Nickel) trophy won't be played for this fall. 

If you want to criticize others, you need to have clean hands yourself. UND doesn't.

C'mon, you know who originally took their ball and went home. And, you also know who decided that the (Nickel) trophy won't be played for this fall.

If you want to criticize others, you need to have clean hands yourself. UND doesn't.

I know your 70 miles south but do you understand the !@#$ storm that would show up at the Fargodome of the buckle trophy was on the line?

I know your 70 miles south but do you understand the !@#$ storm that would show up at the Fargodome of the buckle trophy was on the line?

Oh, I certainly do understand. However, none of that !@#$ storm has anything to do with NDSU. The Nickel won't show up at the FargoDome this year entirely due to decisions that were made 70 miles north of Fargo. 

Oh, I certainly do understand. However, none of that !@#$ storm has anything to do with NDSU. The Nickel won't show up at the FargoDome this year entirely due to decisions that were made 70 miles north of Fargo. 

Revisionist history strikes again - no need to revisit this though PLEASE. 

Revisionist history strikes again - no need to revisit this though PLEASE. 

Huh? There's no revisionist history here. The trophy won't be there because of what's on one side of it. NDSU has/had nothing to do with that.

If the Nickel Trophy had Thomas Jefferson on one side and Monticello on the other, it would be in the FargoDome on Sept 19th. It would be a lame trophy, but it would be there.

Oh, I certainly do understand. However, none of that !@#$ storm has anything to do with NDSU.

I'm sure the Sioux chants (that to this day still go on) won't be heard ringing through the tailgating lots and the Fargo Loaf on game day either?

If you do want this game to continue on a regular basis, calling NDSU people morons, fools, and idiots isn't helpful.

Right, because those other than NDSU's administration and athletic department have an actual say in the scheduling. Also, I was very specific in saying only some of NDSU's supporters are overwhelmed. Please read more carefully and comprehensively.

After the game on Septmeber 19th, NDSU will understand why they should continue to schedule UND; that is, unless UND wins.

Huh? There's no revisionist history here. The trophy won't be there because of what's on one side of it. NDSU has/had nothing to do with that.

If the Nickel Trophy had Thomas Jefferson on one side and Monticello on the other, it would be in the FargoDome on Sept 19th. It would be a lame trophy, but it would be there.

That's not a given now that they are no longer playing annually. 

It's not a UND logo. It's a replica of official US currency. It's like saying the Sacagawea gold coins are offensive.

Right, because those other than NDSU's administration and athletic department have an actual say in the scheduling. Also, I was very specific in saying only some of NDSU's supporters are overwhelmed. Please read more carefully and comprehensively.

After the game on Septmeber 19th, NDSU will understand why they should continue to schedule UND; that is, unless UND wins.

You may, or may not, be right about NDSU's attitude after the game is played is played. Either way, your original post is typical of the over-the-top, vitriolic rhetoric that, IMO, caused the rivalry to end in the first place. 

It's not a UND logo. It's a replica of official US currency. It's like saying the Sacagawea gold coins are offensive.

OK, take that up with the NCAA, if it's that cut and dried, I'm sure they'll have no problem with it. In any case, it has nothing to do with NDSU.

That's not a given now that they are no longer playing annually. 

Hey, I understand the issues, and I don't expect that the trophy really will be played for this year.  But then, I didn't bring the trophy up in the first place.

You can't criticize NDSU for not having the trophy if the trophy can't be contested for reasons that have nothing to do with NDSU.  

OK, take that up with the NCAA, if it's that cut and dried, I'm sure they'll have no problem with it. In any case, it has nothing to do with NDSU.

Zero chance they would care.

Sam Houston and SFA I believe play for a 6 or 7 foot tall Indian statue.

Zero chance they would care.

Sam Houston and SFA I believe play for a 6 or 7 foot tall Indian statue.

That was sarcasm on my part. But you're right, it's a lame argument. The NCAA wouldn't care that the trophy is a replica of US coinage that was discontinued 87 years ago.

You may, or may not, be right about NDSU's attitude after the game is played is played. Either way, your original post is typical of the over-the-top, vitriolic rhetoric that, IMO, caused the rivalry to end in the first place.

My original post was fueled by the over-the-top, vitriolic rhetoric recently displayed by some "NDSU faithful" on Twitter.

If you wish to choose no association, that's fine; after all, I specifically chose not to state NDSU supporters as a unanimous group in my original post.

The ultimate reason was/is a decision made in GF in 1930.

Not so fast, it takes two to tango, or should I say there are two sides to the coin:

If NDSU hadn't chosen what it chose that trophy would've never been selected; for example, if NDSU had stayed the "Aggies".

This is a precise example of what Schlossman pointed out: There's enough blame to spread around and all share part of it. But are all willing to admit it. 

Relevance?

Good question. UND is no longer the Fighting Sioux but somehow groups of fans at both North Dakota D-1 Universities can't seem to figure it out.  A decade plus of not playing on the gridiron yet the chants continue to show up weekly in Fargo.  But "none of that !@#$ storm has anything to do with NDSU" right?

Yah they will take their ball and go home (because they can't take the trophy). 

Its ok NDSU can't take the nickel trophy, it wouldn't fit in the trophy case anyways with all the National Championship trophys. As for fitting in UND's trophy case, it has lots of room. Sorry CM, that was to easy.

Good question. UND is no longer the Fighting Sioux but somehow groups of fans at both North Dakota D-1 Universities can't seem to figure it out.  A decade plus of not playing on the gridiron yet the chants continue to show up weekly in Fargo.  But "none of that !@#$ storm has anything to do with NDSU" right?

The two things are only very, very tenuously related, if at all. Do you think those chants would be any more or less prevalent if the Nickel Trophy were there? Or, do you think that you'd still be able to use the Nickel Trophy if NDSU had never used that chant?

Do you think those chants would be any more or less prevalent if the Nickel Trophy were there? 

Nope. They'll be in full bloom either way. 

Or, do you think that you'd still be able to use the Nickel Trophy if NDSU had never used that chant?

Well, those chants sure didn't help UND's case with the NCAA ... 

Jirik and Smith are both on record saying they wish they could have played in a UND/NDSU game.  Those comments came unprovoked with any questioning or prodding from anyone about the rivalry.

Are you saying that the players wouldn't have rather played UND over Incarnate Word, Weber State, Ferris State, Delaware State, Robert Morris, Prairie View A&M, etc?

I told Gene the one team I wish we would have played is UND also.  I am glad the game was scheduled.  I would rather play UND than any of the teams listed, and I'm pretty sure many of the players on the team now would also. 

What I originally said was Schlossman states in the article that  "The players lost by never being able to play in a contest that they would remember for years." -- I think the players will remember for years many of the playoff games and even some regular season games.

It was a good opinion article.