SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

You made the "choices" statement regarding what NDSU Athletics sponsors or doesn't, or how (participation numbers). Don't be mad when the choices made by NDSU are pointed out. 

We both know it was an unneeded pot-shot. Calling it anything else is ignoring the facts.

We both know it was an unneeded pot-shot. Calling it anything else is ignoring the facts.

I'll take partial blame for it but this thread is most definitely a dumpster fire and is going nowhere fast, do it wasn't going to be derailed further. I still stand behind my reasoning though, if people are going to talk about NDSU and explain/defend how they spend their athletic dollars and what is and isn't a priority, pointing out the huge disparity in their participation rates is fair game.

That being said, I didn't intend it as a shot at you personally, I do appreciate your contributions and comments as a rival fan.

You said "Each athletic department chooses which sports to participate in,..." 

Given that just about every other DI and DII in the region sponsors women's tennis and women's swimming and diving (both NDHSAA sports), that must be a choice by NDSU. It's NDSU's choice, embrace it. Don't be mad when someone points out the choice made by NDSU.

NDSU has made choices such that they have 282 male DI athletes on campus and 129 female athletes on campus. NDSU has chosen to give opportunity to twice as many men as women. Again, it's NDSU's choice, embrace it. Don't be mad when someone points out the choice made by NDSU. 

If a recruit wants to participate in a DI sport they go to UND.  If they want to be a Champion they go to NDSU.  Embrace it.  The BSC has and it looks like Faison has too.

I'll take partial blame for it but this thread is most definitely a dumpster fire and is going nowhere fast, do it wasn't going to be derailed further. I still stand behind my reasoning though, if people are going to talk about NDSU and explain/defend how they spend their athletic dollars and what is and isn't a priority, pointing out the huge disparity in their participation rates is fair game.

That being said, I didn't intend it as a shot at you personally, I do appreciate your contributions and comments as a rival fan.

It may be fair game to point that out. Nevertheless, it had nothing to with Bison06's original post.

If a recruit wants to participate in a DI sport they go to UND.  If they want to be a Champion they go to NDSU.  Embrace it.  The BSC has and it looks like Faison has too.

Nothing like being ranked 340 out of 347 in D-1 in women's participation, definitely something to be proud of.  Glad you continue to support the exact ideals that Title IX was implemented to prevent and participation opportunities that would have been embarrassing decades ago. 

Nothing like being ranked 340 out of 347 in D-1 in women's participation, definitely something to be proud of. Glad you continue to support the exact ideals that Title IX was implemented to prevent and participation opportunities that would have been embarrassing decades ago.

Screw title nine.
  • Upvote 1

Nothing like being ranked 340 out of 347 in D-1 in women's participation, definitely something to be proud of.  Glad you continue to support the exact ideals that Title IX was implemented to prevent and participation opportunities that would have been embarrassing decades ago. 

So, is it safe say to we can add "but title IX" to "but hockey", on UND's list of irrelevant rebuttals?

Nothing like being ranked 340 out of 347 in D-1 in women's participation, definitely something to be proud of. Glad you continue to support the exact ideals that Title IX was implemented to prevent and participation opportunities that would have been embarrassing decades ago.

As long as the studies the University conducts continue to say NDSU is doing fine, then I'd say it's actually something to be proud of.

I disagree, because ... 

... if people are going to talk about NDSU and explain/defend how they spend their athletic dollars and what is and isn't a priority, pointing out the huge disparity in their participation rates is fair game.

I disagree, because ... 

I disagree, because that was said after the fact. The original point surrounded Woden's comment about NDSU being above hockey, nothing to do with anything that you and others have tried to spin it into. Just trying to point out a double standard that exists at times among people taking shots that aren't associated with the topic at hand.

No need to hash it any further though. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Of course there would be plenty of fans at an NDSU/UND game in the Twin Cities. The point is that it would seem odd and presumptuous to have two North Dakota schools playing their rivalry game in Minnesota. It doesn't make North Dakota look good, and, IMO, it would not be well received by most sports fans in the Twin Cities (non-NDSU or UND fans).

BTW - of course NDSU would not play UNI in Minneapolis under those circumstances.

So why would UND or UNI for that matter play NDSU there for an unequal gate or allow it to be a home game for NDSU? Doesn't make much sense.

There would be plenty of UND fans at a UND/NDSU game in the cities. NDSU has already proven that a ticket for a UND game is a premium seat compared to anyone else in their conference by far. Why agree to pad their pocket book? The current contract is for the games in Fargo. If that location is changed, the dollar figure changes with it.

Question- do you think NDSU would play UNI in Minneapolis if it is a UNI home game and they get the gate?

That just proves the point that Bison fans have been trying to make for years. The state of UND football depends upon playing NDSU. NDSU does not need to play UND in order to have success or fan interest. NDSU fans have proven that they will travel. 30k fans at the metrodome in 2007 for the Minnesota game. 19k in Dallas for the 2013 championship game. The other FBS games have regularly sold out our allotment and more. There were about 7k fans at the DAKOTA dome last year against USD. Most of those Bison fans purchased tickets for the previous game in order to get a ticket. UND has never shown that much dedication to football as a fan base. I struggle to see how you think it would even be close in attendance but after all, playing NDSU has always been your Super Bowl.

As far as the premium goes, they could be charging that price for all tickets and it wouldn't make a difference. UND could give out tickets for free, and I don't think it would cause any more fans to show up.

That just proves the point that Bison fans have been trying to make for years. The state of UND football depends upon playing NDSU. NDSU does not need to play UND in order to have success or fan interest. NDSU fans have proven that they will travel. 30k fans at the metrodome in 2007 for the Minnesota game. 19k in Dallas for the 2013 championship game. The other FBS games have regularly sold out our allotment and more. There were about 7k fans at the DAKOTA dome last year against USD. Most of those Bison fans purchased tickets for the previous game in order to get a ticket. UND has never shown that much dedication to football as a fan base. I struggle to see how you think it would even be close in attendance but after all, playing NDSU has always been your Super Bowl.

As far as the premium goes, they could be charging that price for all tickets and it wouldn't make a difference. UND could give out tickets for free, and I don't think it would cause any more fans to show up.

You really believe they could sell out at $60 a ticket every game?

There were not 30,000 NDSU fans in the metrodome there lakes.
  • Upvote 1

You really believe they could sell out at $60 a ticket every game?

There are very few tickets that aren't season tickets anymore. I wouldn't pay $60 a game. But could you find 15,000(dome minus student seats) willing to pay that? Probably.

I was selling standing room tickets at 100 dollars a piece last year. It is silly.

Nor 19,000 in Texas in 2013 considering they played Sam Houston State.

I believe he is referring to the 2013 season.. Ending with the'14 championship against Towson. It gets confusing when they play in the game every year.

• Upvote 2

There are very few tickets that aren't season tickets anymore. I wouldn't pay $60 a game. But could you find 15,000(dome minus student seats) willing to pay that? Probably.

I was selling standing room tickets at 100 dollars a piece last year. It is silly.

I don't buy it. I live in Fargo. Tickets can be had if you ask around. Very similar to UND hockey. Ask around in Gameday, you'll find something.

I don't buy it. I live in Fargo. Tickets can be had if you ask around. Very similar to UND hockey. Ask around in Gameday, you'll find something.

You can find tickets to any game anywhere. Just a matter of how much cash you have. I've had no trouble selling them at big markups, I'm guessing the athletic department would be able to as well... Provided that the football team is doing really well.

The NDHSAA sponsors boys and girls hockey. NDSU has made the choice to sponsor neither. Embrace the choice. ;)

And UND chooses not to sponsor Wrestling and NDSU does. Wrestling is a sport sponsored by Class A schools and most Class B schools. Tennis, swimming and Hockey are Class A sports. If you go strictly by participation numbers, there are probably more high school wrestlers in ND than the other 3 sports mentioned combined. I guess UND doesn't care about the small school athletes in ND. I guess that is just a choice UND and their fans will have to live with. 

And UND chooses not to sponsor Wrestling and NDSU does. Wrestling is a sport sponsored by Class A schools and most Class B schools. Tennis, swimming and Hockey are Class A sports. If you go strictly by participation numbers, there are probably more high school wrestlers in ND than the other 3 sports mentioned combined. I guess UND doesn't care about the small school athletes in ND. I guess that is just a choice UND and their fans will have to live with. 

Less than 1/3 the number of wresting programs as boys basketball programs in Class B, and a lot of the boys basketball programs are consolidated. Less than 25% of North Dakota Class B high schools have wrestling. That is a lot less than "most".

Nah, what that actually shows is that SiouxSports is bad at math. Or at the very least, guilty of cherry picking to an unbelievable degree. NDSU is actually in the 225-271 range out of 346 in the rankings that actually matter(240/346 is the most accurate).

Nah, what that actually shows is that SiouxSports is bad at math. 

If we're going to nitpick, I'm actually pretty good at math. I think your complaint is with one specific member's post, not the community.

I'm feeling pedantic because I'm on nickname thread duty, generalizations are kind of weak, and I'm watching this thread closely because I've been warned we must. I will agree that I haven't been disappointed. It has lived up to the hype. No question there's some passion (a word I've used a lot today) here.