SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

He wasn't the best in history. They'll do just fine. That line could make Jake Miller look like a D1 player.

Unnecessary. This is why these threads get derailed. A better way to say this: That line could make anyone look like a D1 player. (which is likely true)

You say it like this and the conversation goes on.

• Upvote 1

Unnecessary. This is why these threads get derailed. A better way to say this: That line could make anyone look like a D1 player. (which is likely true)

You say it like this and the conversation goes on.

Anyone? Nah. You or me would likely still get our teeth kicked in ;)

Is all of the OL back for NDSU?

Crockett was a very good running back, but he wasn't ten feet tall. People forget that Sam Ojuri outgained Crockett every year of Crockett's career other than 2014. They didn't miss Ojuri much in 2014, and they won't miss Crockett all that much this year.

Truthfully, with Frazier, Morlock, and Lance Dunn, they might even be a little better overall at the RB position. They're certainly deeper

I agree with this. This offensive line, on paper, could be one of the best in recent memory. We'll see if that translates to success on the field.

I think Morlock is solid, but doesn't have that intangible quality that makes a running back great, or at least hasn't shown it yet IMO.

Frazier hasn't been given consistent carries to be able to show what he truly has. Running backs in my experience need a little bit of a rhythm to really show what they have and to be able to make the right decisions. This was a problem for Crockett early on. He would only get carries sporadically and felt like he needed to hit a home run with every carry. That lead to him not hitting the hole where the play was designed to hit. I think this logic applies to both Morlock and Frazier, we really haven't seen what they really have yet.

I don't know much about Dunn, but the people who have seen him play seem to think he is going to get the starting job. Which is surprising to me given what we have coming back. As with all things, we'll see I guess.

What are your thoughts on the NDSU defense? Obviously there are massive shoes to fill, but what's your level of comfort with the guys you have filling them?

I'm a little nervous about the safety position. Less worried about the D-line and linebacker positions. I saw enough in mop up time last year from these guys to know they will be serviceable and with experience have the potential to be great.

The athleticism of the guys replacing the two safeties is great, but that doesn't always translate to a player understanding the system. Hopefully it doesn't take them too long to figure it out.

What are your thoughts on the NDSU defense? Obviously there are massive shoes to fill, but what's your level of comfort with the guys you have filling them?

How do you feel the UND offense will be by the time the NDSU game rolls around? Do you expect them to be working hard to establish the running game or will they be looking to get the QB in a rhythm and get down the field?

Yah. We know you love to talk about yourselves but do it somewhere else.

Well let's talk about UND football then, after all, NDSU will be matching up with them in September so I'm curious to know more about what you think.

As an outsider, I feel like UND's front seven will be a strength, but may be able to be attacked through the air if the QB can get enough time against that attacking, confusion creating defense UND is famous for. 

What do you think?

Well let's talk about UND football then, after all, NDSU will be matching up with them in September so I'm curious to know more about what you think.

As an outsider, I feel like UND's front seven will be a strength, but may be able to be attacked through the air if the QB can get enough time against that attacking, confusion creating defense UND is famous for. 

What do you think?

UND did beef up there secondary considerably in the offseason with Johnson and Arnell.  The corners are still a spot that needs improving so yes they will get beat through the air.  The run D needs to stay stout and hope the secondary catches up.

How do you feel the UND offense will be by the time the NDSU game rolls around? Do you expect them to be working hard to establish the running game or will they be looking to get the QB in a rhythm and get down the field?

UND's offense is a big question mark, IMO.  Nearly all RB touches will be going to guys not on the team last year.  Most WR time will go to guys who either didn't play or didn't play well last year.  I'm hoping the OL is relatively solid, they looked much better toward the end of last season.  QB is surprisingly (perhaps frighteningly?) the offensive position I'm least worried about.  All 3 saw time on the field last year and I believe all 3 have proven they are capable (not great, but capable) when given enough time.

What do you think?

UND's defensive weakness likely will be (and historically has been under Bubba/Lennon) through the air.

Our tackling was much better last year - very fundamentally sound. However we were incredibly bad at third and long - it was almost unbelievable how often teams converted them.

We did see much more pressure on the quarterback which will no doubt continue and just get better - part of our goal of making the opposing team's quarterback's mom the second most uncomfortable person in the building. That could be where the plays are made that change the game and give the underdog a chance - a couple of fumbles in the backfield is what we need. 

Can't wait to get back to the good old days of double figures in "Sack City".  

The UND offense finally gelled at the end of last season and I think in large part the improvement was due to the offensive line finally having enough game time under their belts to develop into a cohesive unit, allowing Garman to gash UNA and UNC. With the OL coming back mostly intact I do not see the offensive regressing to the level of ineffectiveness often shown earlier in the 2014 season. One caveat to that optimistic outlook might be that the RB's need to be able to play in synch with the OL in the manner that Garman did in those last two games.

The UND offense finally gelled at the end of last season and I think in large part the improvement was due to the offensive line finally having enough game time under their belts to develop into a cohesive unit, allowing Garman to gash UNA and UNC. With the OL coming back mostly intact I do not see the offensive regressing to the level of ineffectiveness often shown earlier in the 2014 season. One caveat to that optimistic outlook might be that the RB's need to be able to play in synch with the OL in the manner that Garman did in those last two games.

UND and Rudolph's offense is going to live and die by the ground game, especially given the unknown factor at the quarterback position. When UND was running the football effectively against Northern Arizona and Northern Colorado at the end of last season, UND was a very competitive team that had the full offensive-defensive package. I agree with you that there's no reason the running game/offensive line will be any worse than it was during the 2014 season; just much better depth/numbers and better cohesiveness with that group now a year later. 

Curious question for UND fans.  What have been your impressions of Jordan Hinojosa?  I haven't followed him since he left the U, has he played?  What's his expected role this season?  

Started at nose guard last season in UND's 3-4 defensive front and he will likely start there again this season. He brings a tremendous amount of energy and passion to the defensive side of the ball, and that's just what UND's coaching staff wants; that is, if it is controlled. If there's a negative to his game, perhaps he gets a bit too "amped up" at times. Nevertheless, he's a good football player and a starter on one of the best FCS defenses in the country. 

I'm a big fan of Coach Knauf.  The guy is smart and has a an excellent pedigree from his playing days at Wisconsin.  He knows what system he wants to put in place and understands the growing pains that will come with it.  I think (hope) that the end of last year was seeing that start to click.

I'm a little nervous about the safety position. Less worried about the D-line and linebacker positions. I saw enough in mop up time last year from these guys to know they will be serviceable and with experience have the potential to be great.

The athleticism of the guys replacing the two safeties is great, but that doesn't always translate to a player understanding the system. Hopefully it doesn't take them too long to figure it out.

My thoughts exactly. Those are some pretty big shoes to fill at the safety spots. Overall thoughts on the D, no one can replace a Kyle Emmanuel, but I'm confident we can still get pressure on the QB from guys that have taken plenty of game snaps already. The LB core will have a solid captain in the middle with DeLuca, so hopefully he can help the young guys on the outside with assignments and shifts pre snap. But back to the safeties. We lose two 4 year starters and those guys changed a defense with how well they could come up in support of the run, Heagle especially at the strong spot. Sure, we've got some tremendous athletes that will be out there now, but no one can say for sure how they'll do until we see them on the field for a bit. I think from a Bison fans perspective, part of the reason that we remain as confident in our defense every year even after we lose key players, is our head coach. He made our defense into something special as our DC and we know that he's going to continue to be involved in the D even as the head coach. They aren't a perfect unit, and at times in the playoffs last year they looked a bit vulnerable. It's been discussed pretty thoroughly on Bville about why this happened, so I won't share with you any of the "excuses" we came up with ;) If UND is going to win this game, they'll have to do to NDSU what NDSU does to most teams. Run the ball, control the clock, limit turnovers, play good field position. Your experienced line against our young D Line could give your QB some extra time in the pocket, but your receivers will have to find a way to get open against some pretty decent corners. With everything I've read about your RB situation, I like our chances in stopping the run, even with an inexperienced LB core. I'm a firm believer in match ups in every game played. That's why I don't like to use the common opponent thing because there are so many different variables in play. And I agree with many UND fans on here about waiting until our teams have played a couple of games to really get a better idea of what to expect on Sept. 19th. I've been waiting for this game for a long time, can't wait!!

My thoughts exactly. Those are some pretty big shoes to fill at the safety spots. Overall thoughts on the D, no one can replace a Kyle Emmanuel, but I'm confident we can still get pressure on the QB from guys that have taken plenty of game snaps already. The LB core will have a solid captain in the middle with DeLuca, so hopefully he can help the young guys on the outside with assignments and shifts pre snap. But back to the safeties. We lose two 4 year starters and those guys changed a defense with how well they could come up in support of the run, Heagle especially at the strong spot. Sure, we've got some tremendous athletes that will be out there now, but no one can say for sure how they'll do until we see them on the field for a bit. I think from a Bison fans perspective, part of the reason that we remain as confident in our defense every year even after we lose key players, is our head coach. He made our defense into something special as our DC and we know that he's going to continue to be involved in the D even as the head coach. They aren't a perfect unit, and at times in the playoffs last year they looked a bit vulnerable. It's been discussed pretty thoroughly on Bville about why this happened, so I won't share with you any of the "excuses" we came up with ;) If UND is going to win this game, they'll have to do to NDSU what NDSU does to most teams. Run the ball, control the clock, limit turnovers, play good field position. Your experienced line against our young D Line could give your QB some extra time in the pocket, but your receivers will have to find a way to get open against some pretty decent corners. With everything I've read about your RB situation, I like our chances in stopping the run, even with an inexperienced LB core. I'm a firm believer in match ups in every game played. That's why I don't like to use the common opponent thing because there are so many different variables in play. And I agree with many UND fans on here about waiting until our teams have played a couple of games to really get a better idea of what to expect on Sept. 19th. I've been waiting for this game for a long time, can't wait!!

Very detailed analysis, much appreciated!

I watched most of the Bison playoff games so I likely didn't get to see to many backups play.

You mention 2001 around Darrell and you better find the guy a box of Kleenex and a private room.

Yep you got me there. UND had a brief period of 3 out of 4 years when they had more sucess, but I would not go on to say Dominate. NDSU was ranked #1 for a good period of 2000 and part of 2001 and very well would have a national championship in 2000 had they not closed the season with a 3rd string QB. Tough to say how 2001 would have turned out if injuries had not happened with Gordon. 2002 UND clearly had a better team. 2003 IMO was a joke. I still struggle to see how an 8-3 Bison team who had beat the #3 team in the FCS did not make the playoffs. UND had a better team that year, but I wouldn't go on to say they were dominate. They beat NDSU head and got the opportunity to play in the playoffs but there was not a more impressive win in D2 that year than NDSU beating Montana. That win did a lot more for the future success of NDSU football than UND making it to the D2 title game.

I still think Babich got the shaft. He had one bad season in 2002 and got the boot. Guy was a good coach.

Babich was forced to resign as much for what happened in 2001 as what happened in 2002.  When you get destroyed by your in-state rival in one week and then have your star RB injure himself kicking in windows at a school across town and showing up high as a kite for the next week's game, it's safe to say you have lost control of your FB team.

Very detailed analysis, much appreciated!

I watched most of the Bison playoff games so I likely didn't get to see to many backups play.

You're welcome. The thing is, outside of the DL, there wasn't much playing time available for backups. The group of seniors that graduated were out there for most of the snaps. A lot of the guys that will be starting this year have had opportunities on special teams, but not many defensive reps.  

Ah that's right, they switched to a new offense. Pardon.

Georgia Tech doesn't win championships but it is not the offenses fault. They wouldn't win with any offense.

And while the service academies aren't competing for championships, they seem to do just fine putting points on the board. They could run any offense, they can't win.

Georgia Southern proved at the very least it can be effective at this level of football. They ran up and down the field on NDSU.

So you are talking in a circle when you get boxed in.  Just stop. You are embarrassing.

Another honest question, how is the running game going to adjust with life without Crockett?  Sure you have guys that can step up and be serviceable or more.  But Crockett was the best runningback in school history.  How much is that going to affect the Bison running game, and in turn affect the entire offense?

I dont look for much of an offensive drop off from last year in the running game dept. Morlock, Bonnet, Frazier all return plus a new kid is supposed to very good but I dont follow the recruiting game. Plus we have a few others that got carries last year. I also think out passing game will be better.