SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Hakstol's Replacement

NoiseInsideMyHead

41 minutes ago, dagies said:

I don't think Hak ever had a team like this with such experience/talent in the D corp, as effective a top line as the CBS line, and enough forward depth to keep the other team honest.   PLUS, the best goalie performance (Cam Johnson) in many many years, who didn't have a bad game at the worst time of the year.

We could argue until the cows come home about whether or not Hak would have won a championship with this team, and no one on either side of the argument knows for sure.  But this team was awfully talented.  And they got the big performances from the "big knockers" (thanks, Burnsie!) when needed.

Very impressive.   No easy games in this run.  This title was well earned.    Over the years there were several great stories ready to be written about a possible UND championship team, but they didn't get written because the team didn't quite pull it off.    This team rode a hard road all the way to the end.  They definitely earned this one.

not with me...

1-0 northeastern...hot goalie excuse

rinse repeat

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12

12 minutes ago, gsiouxo said:

Nice posts HAK might be leader for coach of year in NHL…..we got some bounces this weekend…if his teams got a coupe he'd have two or three

How often does the goalie clear the puck right into the attacking player 20 feet out of the net. 

• Upvote 1

Actually crow doesn't taste that bad! Especially when you have a National Championship in hand! I will admit that I was not a fan of the selection of Mr. Berry when he was selected as the Assistant Coach a few years back. I based my observations on his performance as an NHL Defensive Coach at Columbus. I was wrong. I was also a critic of coach Hakstol.  I maintain I was right on that call. In terms of hockey sense Hakstol's virtues go  unchallenged - he knows the game! In terms of developing the skills of college aged young men, again unchallenged. But to prepare that same  youthful hockey player to "win the big one", well his record speaks for itself. I suspect he will prove that his skills are much more appropriate at the pro level.  I witnessed  what may be a defining moment in Coach Berry's style last evening, and the  media played it big time. He was caught giving one his players a hug between the 2nd and 3rd period and shared how proud he was of his play. He was was asked about it at the end of the game and down played it! Earlier this week the media asked a player to compare the style differences between the head coaches, and I thought I heard the player respond with with Coach Hak you played with the fear of making a mistake, but with Coach Berry you played with the vigor of not wanting to let him down! Kinda says it all!   Congratulations to Coach  Berry and his coaching staff as well at to the team who demonstrated that they were ready to play!

• Upvote 4

Hak had the team heading in the right direction. One of Hak's big problems was he was so reluctant to change the type of play and players the Sioux had historically recruited. Berry's leadership took the team to the next level as his coaching style and philosophy really stuck with the young group. 

I thank Hak tremendously for all the winning years under his leadership. It's not easy being that good for that long and always have a winning team for the fans. I think Karma rewarded Hak also this year by his NHL team making the playoffs. 

The real question is would he rather make the playoffs as an NHL coach or win a national title with the Sioux? I guarantee that Hak was as big of a fan as the rest of us and could not be any happier if he was still the coach or not.

• Upvote 2

Insert Cam Johnson's performance in place of any of about a half dozen or so Frozen Fours since 2005 and this is probably banner #9 or #10.  Not blaming the goalies involved in those games - just seemed that the FF was always the time for his worst outing of the season.

• Upvote 4