SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

Is it the thought ... "Well, they've been great for us, so we better give them this now, in case they are gone."? I don't buy that. I think it's just because they are great leaders and players.

I can't/won't speak for anyone else, but my reaction was based on the idea that they may have told friends "If that money is there after next year, I'm leaving" so those teammates saw this as the last chance to award their friends with a letter.  Pure speculation.  Doesn't mean squat.  But if you wonder where the idea came from, that was my thought.

There was probably ties when they voted and could not locate the tie break procedures....

Maybe there is no tie breaker, and I'm not saying that every voted player got an A, but maybe the highest number of votes was found on all 4 names? They did say this happened once or twice before on twitter????

I can't/won't speak for anyone else, but my reaction was based on the idea that they may have told friends "If that money is there after next year, I'm leaving" so those teammates saw this as the last chance to award their friends with a letter. Pure speculation. Doesn't mean squat. But if you wonder where the idea came from, that was my thought.

Yeah, I can see that. That being said, that kind of talk doesn't come off being very captain-like, IMO. I hope that wasn't the case.

All things aside, I think all of them deserve the recognition. All I those 6 clearly love this program and have put in the time here to get the distinction of going down in history as a player to have worn a letter at UND. All well deserved.

Looks like there were actually 3 captains and a couple of assistants back in 85-86.  If you want strange, there it is.

Berry says in the paper they have a bunch of rookies coming in, and rather than lay the burden of official leadership on 2-3 guys he thought there was value in naming several guys in those official leadership roles to help teach the new guys about Fighting Sioux hockey.  The voting apparently was very close among all of these guys, so it seems there's some good logic involved and I like the idea.

Yes to this! Also, I'm not a coach, but I have read from many great coaches that the dump and chase is dictated from the defense! It is a response to what the other team is doing! Stop saying they run the dump and chase too much!

Care to share your reading list?  I never played and would like to learn more. 

Interesting tidbit... UND has 4 incoming recruits that were in the top 10 in USHL PP goal scoring last year.

with these recruits and the players we already have, the PP might actually be really good for once! Hopefully this is the year we win a natty because i have a feeling we're going to loose half the team after this next season, we might just have a defence of freshmen and sophmores next season too!

Someone earlier was wondering what number Tomek will be at UND:

The starting goalie job is wide open for UND with Zane McIntyre signing with the Boston Bruins after three standout seasons. Tomek will wear McIntyre’s No. 31 this season. He wore No. 30 in juniors last year, but Hrynkiw has that number.

“That doesn’t really matter to me,” Tomek said. “The name ‘North Dakota’ on the front of the jersey is more important than the number on the back.”

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/pro-sports/3773597-nhl-draft-incoming-freshman-expected-be-picked-draft

@SchlossmanGF: Forward Wade Murphy to leave UND after two seasons, the Herald has learned http://t.co/274Y3Eru9f

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3776195-und-hockey-wade-murphy-leave-und

Dang, I was in the minority however I was curious to see what he would bring in his upper class years.  I could always see the offensive upside however he never put it all together in his first two years.  As this is his career, I definitely understand why he is leaving.  A roster spot was never guaranteed for him.

Dang, I was in the minority however I was curious to see what he would bring in his upper class years. I could always see the offensive upside however he never put it all together in his first two years. As this is his career, I definitely understand why he is leaving. A roster spot was never guaranteed for him.

Looked like he was closer to reaching his potential in the tournament, and you can't have enough upper classmen

@SchlossmanGF: Forward Wade Murphy to leave UND after two seasons, the Herald has learned http://t.co/274Y3Eru9f

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3776195-und-hockey-wade-murphy-leave-und

I am a little sad to see this. He had stepped up his game at the end of last year, really doing the little things. I was optimistic that the scoring was going to start. I have concern that we are going to be too freshmen dependent this year.

I am a little sad to see this. He had stepped up his game at the end of last year, really doing the little things. I was optimistic that the scoring was going to start. I have concern that we are going to be too freshmen dependent this year.

I expect to see scoring improvement from all the upperclassmen, honestly.

Chyz... 5-7 more

St. Clair... 2-3 more

LJ... Need him to step into elite numbers... 10+ more

Drake... See LJ... Need a 25 goal season

Schmaltz... 5-7 more... Bunches of assists

Pogo... 5-7 more

Olson, Simo... 2-3 more

Agree 100%. I actually pegged him as a top 6 forward. During the tourney, he was noticeable.

As for our freshman, Boeser is going to be legit. However there will be some freshman that won't adjust to the college speed as fast. Hopefully guys like chyzk and Johnson have huge years. I could actually ser someone like T Olson having a productive third line role. Pogo should also have a bigger year.