SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

Caufield is credited for getting Mario Lemieux back in shape after his time away.

If Caufield (one game) is on the Cup wall, I'd call that precedent: Wear the jersey for one game, you qualify.

Well. Caufield was a member of the team for the entire season.....he didn't quit.

Yes, really like the potential usa come December along with this nodak squad . I think the fans will see a lot of 8 setting boeser cueing Chelsea dagger

It'd be great if Boeser could fill the role of sniper.  It's been a little while since we've had a real good one.

It'd be great if Boeser could fill the role of sniper. It's been a little while since we've had a real good one.

Yes I think jewels will continue to score along with tne 3/4 fresh who all scored at high level in the ushl. Especially boeser Wilkie and Gersich. When is this roster suppose to be announced?

When is this roster suppose to be announced?

Well, it's coming in dribs and drabs. 

Yesterday: 20 Gage is captain.

Today: This.

University of North Dakota sophomore forward Nick Schmaltz and incoming freshman forward Brock Boeser were among the ... 

Dare I say we have our first officially confirmed by UND Athletics incoming freshman. :D 

Well, it's coming in dribs and drabs.

Yesterday: 20 Gage is captain.

Today: This.

Dare I say we have our first officially confirmed by UND Athletics incoming freshman. :D

Ahhhh... I think they refer to them as freshmen and not incoming freshmen when they announce. But yes, not gonna lie, knowing this class coming in has the tools to be pretty special, I'll take anything I can get!! Ha

Yes I think jewels will continue to score along with tne 3/4 fresh who all scored at high level in the ushl. Especially boeser Wilkie and Gersich. When is this roster suppose to be announced?

I think Johnson and Poganski will both make jumps in goal scoring as well. Wouldn't be surprised by either scoring around 15-20 goals and Caggiula being a 40 plus point guy. I think Schmaltz could also be a 40-45 point guy while scoring less than 10 goals.

I think Johnson and Poganski will both make jumps in goal scoring as well. Wouldn't be surprised by either scoring around 15-20 goals and Caggiula being a 40 plus point guy. I think Schmaltz could also be a 40-45 point guy while scoring less than 10 goals.

I can see pogo becoming a frattin/MALONE type. We will see on Lj. Hope so though. I have nick 50plus if with boeser,cags or a couple others. Some high enders that's for sure

I think we're going to see big things from Luke this year. Maybe not a Frattin level season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see twenty goals or more. I believe the light bulb went off during the playoffs last season.

I agree.

I am curious to hear what others think about our goal tending situation. I am a little concerned that we only have a combined NCAA playing time of like 42 minutes for our two goalies. That is a little scary and we will certainly need the scoring punch and defense to counter any goalie issues. Thoughts?

I am curious to hear what others think about our goal tending situation. I am a little concerned that we only have a combined NCAA playing time of like 42 minutes for our two goalies. That is a little scary and we will certainly need the scoring punch and defense to counter any goalie issues. Thoughts?

I'm actually not too worried.

Tomek is a very highly regarded recruit and Johnson is more than capable if splitting starting duties.

Many teams have success using freshman goalies.  Many teams have won titles with freshman goalies.

We'll be fine.  :)

I'm actually not too worried.

Tomek is a very highly regarded recruit and Johnson is more than capable if splitting starting duties.

Many teams have success using freshman goalies.  Many teams have won titles with freshman goalies.

We'll be fine.  :)

Agreed. Having a very, very veteran and dynamic D corps will also help. There will be a drop off. Zane is NHL ready, IMO and Tomek is a going to take his bumps adjusting to a new level. But, I do agree we'll be fine.

Reminds me a lot of Zane/Clarke when Dell left early.

Agreed. Having a very, very veteran and dynamic D corps will also help. There will be a drop off. Zane is NHL ready, IMO and Tomek is a going to take his bumps adjusting to a new level. But, I do agree we'll be fine.

Reminds me a lot of Zane/Clarke when Dell left early.

Agree, you don't know what you have until it is tested.  Buxton is taking a few lumps for the Twins, and he was the #1 prospect in baseball.  Adjusting to a new level is always tricky, and you never know when the light turns on for different individuals.  Nice to have a great defense to fall back on during that learning curve. 

Agree, you don't know what you have until it is tested.  Buxton is taking a few lumps for the Twins, and he was the #1 prospect in baseball.  Adjusting to a new level is always tricky, and you never know when the light turns on for different individuals.  Nice to have a great defense to fall back on during that learning curve. 

Agreed. Tomek will get his shot and if he runs with it, great.

Bored at work.

Caggs - Schmaltz - Murphy

pogs - LJ - Boeser

gersich - Simo- Chyz

Wilkie - St. Clair - T. Olson

Thompson - Ladue

Stetch - Ausmus

Poolman - Shaw

Tomek

- I may be missing a forward.  I could see that Finnish kid working his way into the lineup.  Also, I could also see Shaw and Wolanin rotating until there is a clear winner.  Same goes for Tomek and Johnson however Tomek should win that one with ease.

PP1

Caggs - Schmaltz- Boeser

Thompson- Ladue

PP2

Wilkie-LJ-Gersich

Stetch- Poolman

Bored at work.

pogs - LJ - Boeser

gersich - Simo- Chyz

Thompson - Ladue

Stetch - Ausmus

Poolman - Shaw

Tomek

- I may be missing a forward. I could see that Finnish kid working his way into the lineup. Also, I could also see Shaw and Wolanin rotating until there is a clear winner. Same goes for Tomek and Johnson however Tomek should win that one with ease.

PP1

Caggs - Schmaltz- Boeser

Thompson- Ladue

PP2

Wilkie-LJ-Gersich

Stetch- Poolman

I think we see Schmaltz and Boeser together. If they pair the two of them together, I could see the final person being one of the older guys in case the other team decides to attempt to rough them up.

Bored at work.

pogs - LJ - Boeser

gersich - Simo- Chyz

Thompson - Ladue

Stetch - Ausmus

Poolman - Shaw

Tomek

Same goes for Tomek and Johnson however Tomek should win that one with ease.

I expect Tomek to win the job as well as it is possible he will be one of the most highly drafted goalies we have ever had.....but a lot of it is confidence and if Cam can get his back it could be interesting.

Cam Johnson's numbers are not that different compared to Zane's in their USHL careers.

Zane's first year he was 14-8-0, 2.23, .908 on a 33-22-5 team

Cam's first year he was 14-8-6, 3.07, .909 on a 38-17-7 team

Zane's second season he was 26-16-4, 2.22, .921 on a 31-23-6 team

Cam was 13-15-4, 3.07, .922 split between a horrible Force team and a Good Sioux City team.

I agree that Tomek will be fine to great, especially with this defense.  I know we have had coaching changes where an assistant gets the job and says "You won't notice much of a difference" - I wonder what different we will see on offense - maybe a more wide open attack?  Anyone have ideas?

I agree that Tomek will be fine to great, especially with this defense. I know we have had coaching changes where an assistant gets the job and says "You won't notice much of a difference" - I wonder what different we will see on offense - maybe a more wide open attack? Anyone have ideas?

Well, scorers will determine that. Haven't had a lot of pure scoring touch the last couple of years. I hope Boeser, Gersich and Wilkie will take care of that.

If we can get guys to bury the puck, we can do a lot with our speed. Defensively, I see no reason we take a step back.

• Upvote 1

We also have to remember these kids are freshman, guys like simo and t Olson put up very similar numbers to Wilkie and gersich in the ushl and they barely cut our squad last year.

In saying that, we won't have to worry about boeser. I just think we need to be easy on our expectations for Wilkie and gersich.

Berry has an advantage over Hakstol in one respect.    Hakstol ran a great program and compiled a record that will be hard for Berry to beat, but Berry really has less to lose.  If he runs a more wide open game and it doesn't win him a banner, many people will credit him for trying something different.  

Berry has been a big part of the team's successes and failures at UND, and he almost certainly believes in the program Hak followed.   But he has more room to wiggle, and I wouldn't be surprised if his offense was a little more up-and-down, especially if all the talent comes to campus this fall and he finds he can count on his goalie to stop the inevitable odd man rush that comes with playing a more wide open game.  If he does head this way, it won't happen right away--he saw how successful Hak was in season-long team development, but I can see that being his goal, and I woujldn't be shocked to see a more Blais-like offense after the Christmas break.

But then, I didn't think Parise or Toews would make the team either. 

I agree that Tomek will be fine to great, especially with this defense.  I know we have had coaching changes where an assistant gets the job and says "You won't notice much of a difference" - I wonder what different we will see on offense - maybe a more wide open attack?  Anyone have ideas?

I think they need to get away from always using the dump and chase play. Maybe Berry will do this and bring home the "Banner."