SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

I think what you're referring to was the segment regarding the scoring title, not the Hobey vote.

The article said that Eichel won the Hobey Baker in a landslide.  I hadn't seen or heard anything that reflected that.  Very possible that its true, just curious where the information came from.

• Upvote 1

The article said that Eichel won the Hobey Baker in a landslide.  I hadn't seen or heard anything that reflected that.  Very possible that its true, just curious where the information came from.

Paging Goon....what's the deal on this?

Wha-the ...

UNO will have a taco cannon at its new rink. Clubhouse leader in the race for the Nobel Prize for Effing Fantastic. https://twitter.com/TacoVoodoo/status/590925404325564416 

Retweeted by Brad E. Schlossman

Someone call The Red Pepper and have them roll out ...

The Grinder Bazooka! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Paging Goon....what's the deal on this?

What is it that you don't understand? There was no mystery who was going to be the Hobey Baker winner this year. It was the same when Johny Hockey won the award. Eichel probably had the award won by January. The other two in the Hat Trick were given the right to sit with Eichel. That doesn't mean that the other two players weren't great or worthy of a Hobey Baker. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What is it that you don't understand? There was no mystery who was going to be the Hobey Baker winner this year. It was the same when Johny Hockey won the award. Eichel probably had the award won by January. The other two in the Hat Trick were given the right to sit with Eichel. That doesn't mean that the other two players weren't great or worthy of a Hobey Baker. 

land·slide
ˈlan(d)ˌslīd/
noun

1. an overwhelming majority of votes for one party in an election.
    "winning the election by a landslide"
    synonyms: decisive victory, overwhelming majority, triumphsweep
    "the Democrats enjoyed a landslide"

I think he wants to see the vote tally.  I'm curious also.  

• Upvote 2

They said he was going to win the Hobey Baker before he played a game.

They said he was going to win the Hobey Baker before he played a game.

You might be right. They were talking about this at the beginning of the season. 

land·slide
ˈlan(d)ˌslīd/
noun

1. an overwhelming majority of votes for one party in an election.
    "winning the election by a landslide"

synonyms: decisive victory, overwhelming majority, triumphsweep
    "the Democrats enjoyed a landslide"

I think he wants to see the vote tally.  I'm curious also.  

He has the internet he can call or write the Hobey Baker Memorial committee and ask them for the numbers. But I stand by my point, an overwhelming majority of votes for one party in an election.

He has the internet he can call or write the Hobey Baker Memorial committee and ask them for the numbers. But I stand by my point, an overwhelming majority of votes for one party in an election.

So you put that it was a landslide in the article without actually seeing the numbers?  No chance that the two eastern kids didn't split some votes and Zane made it a little bit closer?  Seems like if you publish something like that, you'd be able to actually show it.  I'm even saying that it isn't possible or likely, but if you don't actually know for a fact, then it is a poor choice of words.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's reasonable to think that someone with media credentials could more effectively inquire for this information and get access to it.   

• Upvote 3

So you put that it was a landslide in the article without actually seeing the numbers?  No chance that the two eastern kids didn't split some votes and Zane made it a little bit closer?  Seems like if you publish something like that, you'd be able to actually show it.  I'm even saying that it isn't possible or likely, but if you don't actually know for a fact, then it is a poor choice of words.

What are you getting butt hurt about? Everyone in the college hockey world knew Jack Eichel was going to win the Hobey Baker, that's a fact. Everyone.  

• Downvote 2

What are you getting butt hurt about? Everyone in the college hockey world knew Jack Eichel was going to win the Hobey Baker, that's a fact. Everyone.  

Where did I say anything to the contrary?  I'm asking about the vote total, which no one has seen but you claim was a landslide.  I'm curious about where Zane finished and how close it actually was.  Wondering if there was any splitting of the votes from the East coast teams. 

You could have said that something about him being the overwhelming favorite or there was little doubt that he would win but you referenced the actual vote total by stating he won in a landslide without being able to actually show it.  Your article even has a link to "landslide".  Maybe it was just a case of poor wording, but your article without a doubt infers that the vote total was heavily slanted to Eichel, which while very plausible, is something you apparently don't have the numbers to verify actually being true.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it was just a case of poor wording, but your article without a doubt infers that the vote total was heavily slanted to Eichel, which while very plausible, is something you apparently don't have the numbers to verify actually being true.

That's pretty much the national consensus. 

Ah yes, it was the consensus of the loudest ink-stained wretches (or are they now "keyboard-pounding" wretches?) and you could say that, but "landslide" does infer somebody got an overwhelming majority of the actual vote count

• Upvote 1

What people say != How they actually vote

That's why many of us are curious of the actual final vote tally. 

• Downvote 1

That's pretty much the national consensus. 

And I'm not arguing with that.  What I'm questioning is whether you actually had the voting numbers. When you use a the word like "landslide" and "refer to this as an overwhelming victory", you are insinuating you do because you are referring to how the actual vote totals came out. It is now obvious you didn't.  It was a poor choice of wording.

I was at the Hobey award ceremony. While  Eichel may be a great player, and a great person for all I know, I was not impressed with the way he carried himself during the ceremony. Zane and Jimmy Vessey sat on the stage,feet flat on the floor, upright, with their hands folded on their lap. Eichel slouched in his chair, one arm over Vessey's chair, knees out with his feet on their sides, constantly swigging from a water bottle. The only thing missing was chewing gum. Pretty cocky for an 18 year old, I thought. I got the impression he was thinking, hurry up and give me the damn award already.

• Upvote 2

I was at the Hobey award ceremony. While Eichel may be a great player, and a great person for all I know, I was not impressed with the way he carried himself during the ceremony. Zane and Jimmy Vessey sat on the stage,feet flat on the floor, upright, with their hands folded on their lap. Eichel slouched in his chair, one arm over Vessey's chair, knees out with his feet on their sides, constantly swigging from a water bottle. The only thing missing was chewing gum. Pretty cocky for an 18 year old, I thought. I got the impression he was thinking, hurry up and give me the damn award already.

Or he was an 18 year old kid, not as mature as the other two, and scared out of his mind? Fear/stress affects people in different ways...just sayin.

With that said, I hope he goes also, mind numbing, listening about him all the time.