SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

I think they need to get away from always using the dump and chase play. Maybe Berry will do this and bring home the "Banner."

I love this statement. Way too many people on here make it sound like Hak's system was hit the redline and dump it even if you have an odd-man rush. Would we prefer to have our players try and stick handle through everyone and have a million turnovers each game leading to odd-man's the other way to get away from ever dumping the puck?

• Upvote 4

I love this statement. Way too many people on here make it sound like Hak's system was hit the redline and dump it even if you have an odd-man rush. Would we prefer to have our players try and stick handle through everyone and have a million turnovers each game leading to odd-man's the other way to get away from ever dumping the puck?

I can see playing the dump and chase on occasion, but fighting for the puck than hitting the redline and giving it up, Not the best play. At least if your going to dump it in ring it around the board so the opponent isn't given the time to set up and run the flying V on us. 

I can see playing the dump and chase on occasion, but fighting for the puck than hitting the redline and giving it up, Not the best play. At least if your going to dump it in ring it around the board so the opponent isn't given the time to set up and run the flying V on us. 

Every team dumps and chases during a game. It's just the way hockey is played. You don't want to turn the puck over at any line especially late in a game. And there are certainly strategic ways to dump the puck. I just don't get the assumption around here that we dump and chase every chance we get.

• Upvote 2

Our game plan has never been to dump and chase. It is a decision making process and we may lean to the conservative side of not turning the puck over at the blue line.

Yes to this! Also, I'm not a coach, but I have read from many great coaches that the dump and chase is dictated from the defense! It is a response to what the other team is doing! Stop saying they run the dump and chase too much!

My guess is that this will be rotating.  They won't have 5 guys wearing the A in the same game.

You think so? Why's that? Not being sarcastic, I'm actually just curious.

Five assistant captains?  They should just tell us who isn't wearing the 'A'.  

Make it mean something.  

Or maybe they all deserve it? Which I think they do.

You think so? Why's that? Not being sarcastic, I'm actually just curious.

Or maybe they all deserve it? Which I think they do.

I think it would be slightly ridiculous to have 6 guys on the ice wearing a letter (1C and 5 A's).  I'm not sure if any other college teams have done this or not, but I know at the NHL level teams like the Bruins and Wild have had multiple people wear letters throughout the year on a rotating basis.  I think it's a great thing if you have that kind of leadership on the team.  Most likely they'll have Ausmus wear the C and then 2 other guys (maybe 3) wearing the A for each game.  Whether they rotate it on a weekend-by-weekend basis or game-by-game basis will be interesting to see.

I think it would be slightly ridiculous to have 6 guys on the ice wearing a letter (1C and 5 A's).  I'm not sure if any other college teams have done this or not, but I know at the NHL level teams like the Bruins and Wild have had multiple people wear letters throughout the year on a rotating basis.  I think it's a great thing if you have that kind of leadership on the team.  Most likely they'll have Ausmus wear the C and then 2 other guys (maybe 3) wearing the A for each game.  Whether they rotate it on a weekend-by-weekend basis or game-by-game basis will be interesting to see.

I guess. But the way I see it, you earned the letter, you wear the letter and I'd be surprised to see them rotate. I know a lot of NHL teams rotate the letters due to injuries, at times.

I do think 6 is probably too many, but I don't think it's ridiculous. I see it as leadership depth.

I thought the NCAA had an "on ice" limit of one "C" and three "A". If so, they'll have to rotate.

Also, I see this as a sign that LaDue and Stetcher are gone after this season.

Upon a quick perusal of the NCAA rulebook, I couldn't find any instance stating there is a limit to the number of alternates. Only found that you can only designate 1 Captain.

Exactly what I thought when I read it.

They are two of the best leaders on the team and got As because they deserved them. I don't see the connection. Are you suggesting it's some sort of a bargaining chip by the team to get them to stay, or what?

Nobody is saying it was factor in staying. That's not even realistic. Ladue will be gone unless he completely goes backwards and that hasn't happened. His clock is ticking and was on bubble this season. As a free agent stecher will have an opportunity as well. He's high on tne non drafted college free agent radar. Had nothing to do with A's, just pretty obvious when accessing their individual situations

Nodak hockey went Oprah , everybody gets A's

Well deserved to all of them. Gona be a fun team under a new leader. Can't wait for the new era to begin!

Maybe the team voted for this many leaders? What do you do, tell them they can't have this guy or that guy? I think this is great, and obviously what the team wanted!

Yes many teams rotate in various leagues. Congrats to all

Nobody is saying it was factor in staying. That's not even realistic. Ladue will be gone unless he completely goes backwards and that hasn't happened. His clock is ticking and was on bubble this season. As a free agent stecher will have an opportunity as well. He's high on tne non drafted college free agent radar. Had nothing to do with A's, just pretty obvious when accessing their individual situations

Nodak hockey went Oprah , everybody gets A's

Well deserved to all of them. Gona be a fun team under a new leader. Can't wait for the new era to begin!

That's why I am asking why he believes that. I want to know why getting a letter is an indication he's leaving. I think LaDue and Stecher could have definitely left and been successful and could very well see them doing it after this coming season, I just want to know what he thinks the connection is. Not arguing whatsoever, just trying to understand.

That's why I am asking why he believes that. I want to know why getting a letter is an indication he's leaving. I think LaDue and Stecher could have definitely left and been successful and could very well see them doing it after this coming season, I just want to know what he thinks the connection is. Not arguing whatsoever, just trying to understand.

TBH I didn't understand the connection either

TBH I didn't understand the connection either

It'd be like rewarding them because they're leaving the program early.

Is it the thought ... "Well, they've been great for us, so we better give them this now, in case they are gone."? I don't buy that. I think it's just because they are great leaders and players.