SiouxSports.com Forum

Hak vs Blais

UND83

Let’s not get too far ahead, Providence is legit they have a great goalie and play physical and with speed. I am not putting Omaha in the finals yet. 

I am also not looking past BU, but in all honesty “we got this” we relish the underdog role and even being ranked higher going into an opponent’s back yard is right in our wheel house, my only problem is my ears may start bleeding from hearing about Jacky Hockey so much in the next week

Let’s not get too far ahead, Providence is legit they have a great goalie and play physical and with speed. I am not putting Omaha in the finals yet. 

I am also not looking past BU, but in all honesty “we got this” we relish the underdog role and even being ranked higher going into an opponent’s back yard is right in our wheel house, my only problem is my ears may start bleeding from hearing about Jacky Hockey so much in the next week

I wish it was only one week.  We'll have 2 weeks of it.

Ortega's a diving, showboat punk. Easy to root against, not sure I'd like him even if he was wearing green and white. (For the record, wasn't a big fan of the Rocco experiment)

That said - the winning coach of one hockey team has less impact on the game then the zamboni driver or penalty box door-opener. Hakstol and Blais are both great coaches, and internet threads speaking in absolutes about this kind of stuff make me think some people have never actually played a game involving 10-20 other players, officials, and a bouncing ball/puck of some sort.

Ortega's a diving, showboat punk. Easy to root against, not sure I'd like him even if he was wearing green and white. (For the record, wasn't a big fan of the Rocco experiment)

That said - the winning coach of one hockey team has less impact on the game then the zamboni driver or penalty box door-opener. Hakstol and Blais are both great coaches, and internet threads speaking in absolutes about this kind of stuff make me think some people have never actually played a game involving 10-20 other players, officials, and a bouncing ball/puck of some sort.

Couldn't agree more.  They just don't impact the game day result like a football or basketball coach, or a baseball manager.  

So basically if UND doesn't win the NC or if they do...same said for Blais and UNO...it is basically random blind luck coupled with a good or bad bounce?  If you get to 7 FF in 11 years random luck would probably have rewarded UND with at least one NC...but maybe they get lucky in 2 weeks?

• Upvote 1

So basically if UND doesn't win the NC or if they do...same said for Blais and UNO...it is basically random blind luck coupled with a good or bad bounce?  If you get to 7 FF in 11 years random luck would probably have rewarded UND with at least one NC...but maybe they get lucky in 2 weeks?

Sure they don't have all the control, but to ignore the value and importance of a head coach in these types of situations is dumb. I remember playing games and my head coaches making immediate and tangible changes that lead to victories and defeats. Many, many, many times.

Anybody who watched the RIT/Omaha game knows that Blais has work to do over the next couple weeks. I thought RIT was the better team (maybe just 1 1/2 lines) for big chunks of the game. It wasn't all Massa. I'm sure he's pounding in their heads that those chances RIT got would likely be goals for stronger teams (not taking anything away from RIT.)

Anybody who watched the RIT/Omaha game knows that Blais has work to do over the next couple weeks. I thought RIT was the better team (maybe just 1 1/2 lines) for big chunks of the game. It wasn't all Massa. I'm sure he's pounding in their heads that those chances RIT got would likely be goals for stronger teams (not taking anything away from RIT.)

If Massa plays like he did at the Midwest regional, I'm sure Blais will like their odds of winning 2 games in Boston.

Kermit's Luck, on 30 Mar 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:snapback.png

Oxbow6, on 30 Mar 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:snapback.png

Sure they don't have all the control, but to ignore the value and importance of a head coach in these types of situations is dumb. I remember playing games and my head coaches making immediate and tangible changes that lead to victories and defeats. Many, many, many times.

No, I definitely wouldn't ignore the contribution of a good head coach. They spend hours upon hours with these guys, and are responsible for who gets recruited, who gets ice time, and hopefully how they play the game. My first post was only to say that judging a coach based on one game is pretty short-sighted. A good “pep talk” or “last-minute play drawn up on a chalkboard” is only different from a bad “pep talk/chalkboard” by whether or not it works in one isolated instance. 

Having to take down USA's Hockey Future (Eichel) and the Ghost of UND's Past (Blais) is no small task. Average luck would have at least another banner hanging in the new Ralph during Hakstol's tenure - here's to hoping we get it done this year. Gotta work hard, play the game well, finish your chances, all that good stuff - but a little puck luck never hurt.

"Kermit's Luck guides our puck. GO SIOUX!!!"

I'm on record saying in another thread that the meltdown here will be of epic proportions.  And Hakstol will still be the head coach next fall.  

Who are you? And why are you on this thread if you have no faith or optimism with our team heading into the FF as the top team remaining?

Please leave if this is your true feeling

Who are you? And why are you on this thread if you have no faith or optimism with our team heading into the FF as the top team remaining?

It's an if-then scenario.  Reading...it's FUNdamental.  

• Upvote 2

It's an if-then scenario.  Reading...it's FUNdamental.  

Shawn-O was pretty clearly saying that IF we do lose to Blais, THEN this place will be in full meltdown and I agree. Makes me queasy to think about :unsure: :unsure: