SiouxSports.com Forum

Hak vs Blais

UND83

That's how I see it. 

It stands to reason that anyone in any field tends to do better once they get over their major obstacles. I'm not implying he's been a HOF coach to this point, but I see this program going even higher after #8 is earned ....

What's this Fast Eddy allegory?

And without waiting for Jerry York to retire! :angry:  :crazy:  :p

• Upvote 1

From The Hustler - Fast Eddy Felson (Paul Neuman)  vs Minnesota Fats (Jackie Gleeson) - gets to a time when it's time when you have to prove it by your game and not rest on  the "wait til tomorrows" or "could have beens".  

I used to be at the front of the line in criticizing him; but I've come to realize that his personal success is dependent on how well some college kids execute, so I've mellowed out quite a bit in this regard. But I also acknowledge that he does have an obligation in his field as a coach to succeed at the highest level. I've just filed down my fangs a bit & tried to find a happy medium between "the sky is always blue" apologists & those who think he needs to win a natty every year.. But that won't stop me from spewing venom at the tv on 04/09 if it warrants it ... :  )

I used to be at the front of the line in criticizing him; but I've come to realize that his personal success is dependent on how well some college kids execute, so I've mellowed out quite a bit in this regard. But I also acknowledge that he does have an obligation in his field as a coach to succeed at the highest level. I've just filed down my fangs a bit & tried to find a happy medium between "the sky is always blue" apologists & those who think he needs to win a natty every year.. But that won't stop me from spewing venom at the tv on 04/09 if it warrants it ... :  )

Good post. Unfortunately, the sky is always blue folks always want to categorize people like us with the folks on the other extreme. Hak has proven himself as a quality coach. He has taken teams with less talent further than they should have gone. Unfortunately he has not won the big prize, which to some of us brings criticism considering the amount of talent that has come through the program during his tenure. Hopefully #8 comes soon so that monkey gets off his back.

• Upvote 1

Hope she doesn't read this forum! :p

If she does, it's without my knowledge & it was nice knowing you guys. She ain't physical, but she's a guru though at destroying me emotionally (like all women who toy with guys' heads; not out of hate, just following their biological programming). 

But seriously,  I really feel that both Hakstol & even Zane are feeling the weight of a whole state & program on their shoulders. Zane will be lauded as one of the greatest players in program history if he can be the most focused he's ever been for 120 minutes next week. But once #8 happens, I really think we can have as much success as York has had the last 10-15 years.

• Upvote 1

If she does, it's without my knowledge & it was nice knowing you guys. She ain't physical, but she's a guru though at destroying me emotionally (like all women who toy with guys' heads; not out of hate, just following their biological programming). 

But seriously,  I really feel that both Hakstol & even Zane are feeling the weight of a whole state & program on their shoulders. Zane will be lauded as one of the greatest players in program history if he can be the most focused he's ever been for 120 minutes next week. But once #8 happens, I really think we can have as much success as York has had the last 10-15 years.

I think super talented teams that have a few elite stay even after they win one championship will happen occasionally, but with the parity in hockey now, I think those lengthy runs will be few and far between. Time will tell I guess. Moving to campus sites of higher seeds might change my opinion a bit.

I am frustrated by a lack of a national championship lately as well, especially as close as we have come.  But there's not one bit of me wanting a coaching change.  It's fantastic how consistently good Hak has kept this program.   Sure, we know the facilities are great and the tradition is great, but heck, who is responsible for the tradition?  it could have easily degraded since Hak has taken over the program, but it's only gotten better.   As a friend said to me, alumni who leave stay close to the program, continue to speak highly of it....there are no significant locker room issues (other than the boys will be boys things, but you don't hear about discord and the like).

Clearly Hak and the staff are working extremely hard at recruiting...how else do they pull guys like Boeser and Mishmash away from MN?

How many coaching staffs find and develop role players like Pattyn and Gaarder?

We could be up and down every year like Wisconsin.  Sure, they've won a recent national championship but would we trade that for all of the downs?  And all of the drama (with recruits, etc) in that program under Eaves?

Isn't part of being a fan feeling good about the program you are rooting for?   I'm proud to be a fan of UND men's hockey because, generally speaking, it's full of people I can root for.  I feel better about UND's program than others, and that makes me feel good cheering for them to win.

I'm a Vikings fan and if AP comes back they will be a better team but I'm not sure I'll feel as good rooting for him to score a touchdown.   I don't feel that conflict with UND.

Hakstol has continued to build on a strong tradition.  He cares about the image and history of the program, he consistently has this team playing at a level other programs dream about (7 final fours in the last 11 years). 

I get it.....to get that close and not close the deal is tough as a fan, I'm sure it's tougher on the coaching staff.  But if this staff/head coach wasn't top notch they'd not even be getting those chances.

I'm still happy with Hak as the head coach and I think we're damn lucky to have him.

^This, I'm extremely happy with Hakstol and how he represents our University and our state.  Here's to hoping he hangs a green banner to go along with the white one in 10 days! 

• Upvote 1

^This, I'm extremely happy with Hakstol and how he represents our University and our state.  Here's to hoping he hangs a green banner to go along with the white one in 10 days! 

I said it on a different forum, and I'll repeat it to death. Right now, Hak is my Bud Grant. When he wins it all, he's my Ditka.

• Upvote 1

I am frustrated by a lack of a national championship lately as well, especially as close as we have come.  But there's not one bit of me wanting a coaching change.  It's fantastic how consistently good Hak has kept this program.   Sure, we know the facilities are great and the tradition is great, but heck, who is responsible for the tradition?  it could have easily degraded since Hak has taken over the program, but it's only gotten better.   As a friend said to me, alumni who leave stay close to the program, continue to speak highly of it....there are no significant locker room issues (other than the boys will be boys things, but you don't hear about discord and the like).

Clearly Hak and the staff are working extremely hard at recruiting...how else do they pull guys like Boeser and Mishmash away from MN?

How many coaching staffs find and develop role players like Pattyn and Gaarder?

We could be up and down every year like Wisconsin.  Sure, they've won a recent national championship but would we trade that for all of the downs?  And all of the drama (with recruits, etc) in that program under Eaves?

Isn't part of being a fan feeling good about the program you are rooting for?   I'm proud to be a fan of UND men's hockey because, generally speaking, it's full of people I can root for.  I feel better about UND's program than others, and that makes me feel good cheering for them to win.

I'm a Vikings fan and if AP comes back they will be a better team but I'm not sure I'll feel as good rooting for him to score a touchdown.   I don't feel that conflict with UND.

Hakstol has continued to build on a strong tradition.  He cares about the image and history of the program, he consistently has this team playing at a level other programs dream about (7 final fours in the last 11 years). 

I get it.....to get that close and not close the deal is tough as a fan, I'm sure it's tougher on the coaching staff.  But if this staff/head coach wasn't top notch they'd not even be getting those chances.

I'm still happy with Hak as the head coach and I think we're damn lucky to have him.

You have nailed this right on the head! I would not get rid of our coaching staff for anyone else. A national championship will come!

• Upvote 1