SiouxSports.com Forum

Hak vs Blais

UND83

A definite intriguing side story to this FF if the Sioux and Omaha meet for the title (and even if they don't).

If Hak wins, I think it will exorcise the demons and maybe put an end to Dean's ghost.

If Dean wins, the Fire Hak thread will get a lot more fuel dumped on it.

Let's get 2 more wins and bring home number 8!!

It seems like a Hakstol-Blais match-up is supposed to happen. I mean, what are the odds of the two winding up in separate brackets at the FF? One could call it a coincidence, but are there coincidences of this nature between two people who go back so far together?

It would make a great storyline if it happens & one I would want to see; I want to see the student grab the pebble from the master's hand. I want UND to earn this title with no shortcuts, face all their demons, slay them & hang #8 ....

• Upvote 1

Absolutely. I said in a different thread that we've seen it at all before, no big deal if/when UND exits early. But if Blais wins a natty for Omaha... there will be some unhappy fans.

7 FF in 11 years for UND is impressive but if UNO wins it all this season...Yikes!!!  "Big Game Blais" legacy among some will only grow and Hak...well...there will be a run on pitch forks.

This won't matter if we don't beat BU, and there's no guarantee UNO gets past Providence.

If the matchup does materialize, I'm more concerned about playing another conference team that we've had mixed success against this season, than the fact that their coach coached at UND over a decade ago.

• Upvote 2

Of course somebody needs to make the comment about not looking ahead too early, but how could you not? What if Sandy and UMD had made it in there as well and 3 of 4 coaches had UND ties? Crazy stuff.....

You and I can talk about a Hakstol-Blais match-up until we're blue in the face, and it will have zero impact on how UND does in the BU game. Unless we're both simpletons and believe that our personal conversations can somehow affect the players' team result. Or if we step on a crack in the sidewalk we'll break our mama's back. Fed up with people who have the emotional maturity of a 5 yo. :)

Any additional motivation is there for the boys if needed:

Game 1- playing Boston with the best player in the country in their backyard

Game 2- "potentially" helping your head coach get the monkey off his back and "potentially" playing a rival for #8 or Playing this years Cinderella and a team who will be looking forward to playing UND at full strength.

Its going to be a fun week and a half leading up to the games.

Take Blais's record at Omaha and imagine he was still at UND - would he still be coaching at UND? . 

He would if he was the head coach of the men's BB team at UND..............but I digress.

• Upvote 1

I'm on record saying in another thread that the meltdown here will be of epic proportions.  And Hakstol will still be the head coach next fall.  

Agreed that no one gets fired for losing in a championship game, but the discontent would certainly grow. UND fans hate this analogy, but it's apt -- Doug Woog was a superb, high win percentage coach who never brought home the big one while fans watched their rivals bring home championships. As long as he was making the playoffs, he was safe, but he had lost the goodwill to keep his job through even a mild downturn. I think any coach who continues to succeed but not bring home a championship at a school that expects championships will eventually find himself in a similar situation.

This seems a fine year for Hakstol to win it all and silence such talk for another decade.

Oh, and I'm not looking past BU either, not that it matters.

I like Blais, but I just cannot stand Austin Ortega. He goes to the net, but do you ever see him back check? He just coasts in his own zone lazily, and I am so sick of hearing "California Hot Sauce". I hope he gets lit up if we play them. Shut them down, and go get #8.

Take Blais's record at Omaha and imagine he was still at UND - would he still be coaching at UND? . 

Blais probably wouldn't have that record if he was at UND. UND was already established. He has had to recruit and build that program from where it was.

We all know Hak will be head coach next fall

But an argument could be made that blais did more with less if he wins

But I'm not looking past bu r u

More with less?  Blais has a dang good team and pulled some really nice recruits in the past few years.  After last season I noted that Blais would have a scary team this year and some posters noted I was nuts for thinking that after they lost Archibald.  Guy is simply a very good coach however I think our squad is better.  We can't look past BU though, that will be a tilt.

The only scenario where things completely blow up IMO is if UNO wins the NC...magnified more by UNO beating UND.  If neither UNO or UND wins the NC in a couple weeks, Dean will still be recognized as the HC that won UND its last NC and Hak will still be searching to remove the tag "Can't win the big one".

Simple explanation...........

Go ahead look past BU, it's fun, I am. Hell I'm even thinking about Manitoba in October. Will it affect the outcome on April 9th?

Sure won't. And your point?

Would not talking about it affect it? No.

Relax. It's an interesting conversation.