SiouxSports.com Forum

FARGO Regional - SIOUX/QUI TECH/SCSU

AZSIOUX

I think the boys were stressed out and holding their sticks too tight.  Winning means "playing" and playing means that you are having fun.  Fast and loose is how hockey needs to be played...not worrying about making mistakes...and obsessing over details.

I hate the approach of winning that is based on "making fewer mistakes than your opponent."  How about "making more awesome plays than your opponent."

I think this might be exactly why we win a ton of games, but not the big one under Hak...the recipe of detail and not making mistakes vs flow and making plays.

Top Gun analogy:  Hak is Iceman and trains the team to be like Iceman...Dean Blais is Maverick (ironic given the mascot in Omaha)

Disclaimer:  I am in no way calling for Hak's head or a coaching change with this statement

If you watch Hak's press conference post-game Saturday, he makes reference to the fact that the guys weren't having fun. I think he also says that hockey is supposed to be fun, and there wasn't much of that.

There are times when I've thought the team was too tight.  The Frattin Michigan game for example.  I don't really feel like that was the problem last weekend -- they were just "off" for some reason.  They weren't good enough this weekend to be tight.

As to whether tightness is a result of a coaching philosophy, I'd just point to last year, when the team played both the Wisconsin and Minnesota games like they wanted to win (!).

If you watch Hak's press conference post-game Saturday, he makes reference to the fact that the guys weren't having fun. I think he also says that hockey is supposed to be fun, and there wasn't much of that.

After the du game all I hear hak say numerous times is "we need to get back to work"...which is opposite of fun. Which many have pointed out numerous times over the last decade.

After the du game all I hear hak say numerous times is "we need to get back to work"...which is opposite of fun. Which many have pointed out numerous times over the last decade.

Having fun = kicking ass. The only way to kick ass is to play well. Need to work on getting the team playing well to have fun. Sounds like a circular firing squad to me?

Having fun = kicking ass. The only way to kick ass is to play well. Need to work on getting the team playing well to have fun. Sounds like a circular firing squad to me?

^^^This is exactly what I was thinking. Gotta play well to have fun and to play well, you gotta work.

To me, work on the ice is about finishing checks, stops and starts, winning races and loose puck battles...

Being physically spent on each shift.

Here's an example of what vexes me:

The perfect lane doesn't open up, so the D chip it off the glass or the forwards dump it in- yes, it prevents you from being scored on, but it also causes a loss of possession. Now with guys named Zajac, Stafford, Oshie, Toews, Frattin, Kristo, Knight, Grimaldi...there was enough God given talent to score goals in that system...not sure how that translates this year.

I am supporting the team and enjoying the ride- no big expectations- would love to see us come out gunning to blow QU out the Zamboni doors!

• Upvote 1

To me, work on the ice is about finishing checks, stops and starts, winning races and loose puck battles...

The perfect lane doesn't open up, so the D chip it off the glass or the forwards dump it in- yes, it prevents you from being scored on, but it also causes a loss of possession. Now with guys named Zajac, Stafford, Oshie, Toews, Frattin, Kristo, Knight, Grimaldi...there was enough God given talent to score goals in that system...not sure how that translates this year.

I am supporting the team and enjoying the ride- no big expectations- would love to see us come out gunning to blow QU out the Zamboni doors!

Exactly. High aspirations, low expectations.

There has  been lots of debate over the merits of dump and chase and cycle.  However, I think our problem is more one of stubborn predictibility which worsens towards tournament time.  We seem to have our basic game plan only more so.  If we have a weakness it is that we become very predictable and it seems easily thwarted offensively come tournament time.  It seems that others can figure out almost exactly how we approach each offensive rush and zone entry - this leads to absolutely no offensive rhythm for us.  I think that this stubborness is Hak's one big downfall.  Just once in a big game I would like to see us try something different than is expected.  

Heres what the Fargo paper said about this regional.

"Outside of alcohol not being sold to the general public, Kram said there weren’t many things fans need to know about arguably the biggest sporting event ever to come to Fargo."

Oh,I bet there are a load of Bison fans who will blow their tops when they read that.

Heres what the Fargo paper said about this regional.

"Outside of alcohol not being sold to the general public, Kram said there weren’t many things fans need to know about arguably the biggest sporting event ever to come to Fargo."

Haha. Glad he covered the most important thing fans need to know!

Back on track with some positive reinforcement, I caught Hakstol’s interview on KFAN at lunch today really makes me think there is some truth to runaroundsioux’s claim back on page 3…

Anything in particular of interest you remember him saying during the interview? I used to listen to KFAN every day at my old job but have had to take a break with the new one.

Tickets for the FCS title games at the Fargodome were nowhere near this level for street value.

Lot harder getting a ticket for 5,000 available seats at Scheels vs 19k at the FU Dome...Low supply plus high demand equals a free for all on available tix.

Anything in particular of interest you remember him saying during the interview? I used to listen to KFAN every day at my old job but have had to take a break with the new one.

In true Hak fashion he never really states anything directly, but after listening to him for years you learn to read/listen between the lines and it didn’t really sound like he was that disappointed in the overall performance kind of leads me to believe the team wasn’t “instructed” to play at %100, just a theory but I know he is fully aware of all the possible scenarios and situations and looking back on history it is not very often that the #1 overall comes out holding the trophy

In true Hak fashion he never really states anything directly, but after listening to him for years you learn to read/listen between the lines and it didn’t really sound like he was that disappointed in the overall performance kind of leads me to believe the team wasn’t “instructed” to play at %100, just a theory but I know he is fully aware of all the possible scenarios and situations and looking back on history it is not very often that the #1 overall comes out holding the trophy

Yes, you do start to read between the lines with Hak. He'll get his usual "full 60", "good battle level" line in but I have started to pick up on some of his mannerisms too.

They can tip you off as to whether he really thinks we played well and got beat or if our guys will be bag skating for the next 3 hours :lol: