SiouxSports.com Forum

FARGO Regional - SIOUX/QUI TECH/SCSU

AZSIOUX

it may have been a neutral site but it wasn't a neutral environment.   it's no different than UND fans (including me) who never bought the X as a neutral environment for the gophers for the Final Five.   That doesn't mean I was against the location, I actually loved it there.  But the realist in me said if there are 10,000 gopher fans in the building it's not "neutral".   Sioux fans flocked there was well but we never filled it like the gopher fans did when they were interested in the game. There's no reason to apologize or be upset if an opposing coach says the regional wasn't a neutral site.   Hakstol himself (or was it players) said the fans gave the team extra energy.   That's the system, and UND landed that regional by following the rules.  Nothing to apologize for, and I didn't get the impression Pecknold was belly-aching either.  He was stating a simple fact. And like he said, if he doesn't like it, then he should get a higher seed and a better chance of not having to travel so far from home. UND should lock up a regional every other year at Scheels just like MN does at the X.

Except its been this way for years and years. What does he mean its "a struggle to keep neutral sites"? Is he new to college hockey or have sour grapes.

Is he advocating not having "host" teams and not guaranteeing them a spot there if they make it. Sounds like it.

Hak has said he would rather play in front of a packed house of the opposing team than and empty building, in regards to Regionals.  I think he probably feels the same way here.   I think that it will add extra motivation to beat these guys on a large stage in their home city.  Not that you need extra motivation when you are playing in the National semifinal, but you can still use it.

St Cloud was probably thinking that same thing along those lines last weekend.

Or Maine vs the Gophers at the X many moons back.

Except its been this way for years and years. What does he mean its "a struggle to keep neutral sites"? Is he new to college hockey or have sour grapes.

Is he advocating not having "host" teams and not guaranteeing them a spot there if they make it. Sounds like it.

They went to neutral sites so that teams wouldn't have a home advantage and to give all teams an equal footing.  They struggle because it is hard to balance that neutral site idea with getting enough people attending the games.  He wasn't complaining, he was just stating the facts.  Technically, Fargo was a neutral site, but it wasn't a neutral crowd with approximately 90% in green.  Anyone in the country paying attention to college hockey knew that was going to happen.  He even said that if they wanted to avoid that situation they should have won more games to get a higher seed.  And he said he thought the crowd and the atmosphere were great.  I'm not sure where anyone sees a complaint in his quotes.

There is a group in college hockey that are trying to bring the regionals back to home rinks.  So far it has been the coaches that have led the charge to play them in neutral rinks because it is an advantage for 1 out of the 4 teams in the regional.  None of the regionals are booked past next year until they review the situation again.

"It was great but we struggle to avoid what just happened in Fargo."

So lets just scrap neutral sites and go to home rinks? Im not sure thats the answer. Lots of college rinks are pretty small with little time for fans to plan.

Isnt this the best compromise we currently have vs completely neutral rinks with no host teams vs home rinks. Apparently college hockey had already decided they didnt want home rinks a few years ago.

*Their coach is a jackwagon. The Cornell coach will tell you that. Hes been on the committee before and if theres anyone like him on their now. They might say no to Fargo..."too much of a home crowd for UND." One less way to "struggle" with what just happened.

Have a feeling there will be more than Philly. And there were a lot in Philly.

I was in Philly, but won't be able to go to Boston. (Probably better off with my 0-3 record at Frozen Four's lol). But this year I feel like everyone else that I know is going to Boston. 

Anyone else have a chance to talk with the Jets representatives that were at the regional. I just realized that I was talking with the G.M. Wow was he a great guy to converse with. Him and one of the amatuer scouts were very approachable. I asked if they were from the Jets and then followed with the F.A question. After he answered that question I made a request that they not talk with Cags until after next year. We all laughed then talked how great this regional was amongst other hockey topics.

Could the FargoDome not host a regional?

They've had ice in there before.

I assume they could, but don't think UND would bid with that venue because it is so big it wouldn't be quite the advantage, along with the ice problems that come about with ice that isn't in most of the time.

Could the FargoDome not host a regional?

They've had ice in there before.

I assume they could, but don't think UND would bid with that venue because it is so big it wouldn't be quite the advantage, along with the ice problems that come about with ice that isn't in most of the time.

IF we're going to do Fargo Dome, let's do a Frozen Four.

The NCAa wants Frozen Fours in media centers, not in some podunk towns like Fargo and GF. GF once hosted a Frozen Four, but those days are long gone. Lake Placid used to be a staple: no more.

Ralph built that sucker to host a frozen four...RIP.

The NCAa wants Frozen Fours in media centers, not in some podunk towns like Fargo and GF. GF once hosted a Frozen Four, but those days are long gone. Lake Placid used to be a staple: no more.

"Media centers" like Tampa and Columbus OH?

At least Fargo would know the Frozen Four was in town. Pretty much everyone in Columbus thought all the North Dakota and Minnesota fans were there to check out the Buckeye spring football game!

• Upvote 2

Uh, no he didn't. The last "small-rink" venue that held the NCAA Frozen Four was the Providence Civic Center (now Dunkin' Donuts Center) in 2000.

What year did he announce the new Ralph "98?

I thought I read ralph wanted to host a frozen four when he announced the building but realized at that time that the NCAA was currently implementing a 15,000 seat mininum....

He still visioned it though when it was announced.

"Media centers" like Tampa and Columbus OH?

At least Fargo would know the Frozen Four was in town. Pretty much everyone in Columbus thought all the North Dakota and Minnesota fans were there to check out the Buckeye spring football game!

NHL and NFL teams only locate in major regional media centers. NYC and LA and maybe Chicago would be international media centers.

When Fargo gets enough daily flight to handle a Frozen Four influx, and deluxe hotel rooms that aren't Motel 6 and Super 8 quality to meet a Frozen Four qualifications, call me.

NHL and NFL teams only locate in major regional media centers.

When Fargo gets enough daily flight to handle a Frozen Four influx, and deluxe hotel rooms that aren't Motel 6 and Super 8 quality to meet a Frozen Four qualifications, call me.

Well, considering that some people already think Fargo is just as big and influential as a Minneapolis, I am surprised they haven't tried to lure the Vikings or the Twins! :p