SiouxSports.com Forum

FARGO Regional - SIOUX/QUI TECH/SCSU

AZSIOUX

Informed that Murphy was on a line with Pattyn and Schmaltz and St.C was with Chyz and Poolman. That was from Monday's practice obviously it could change as we go forward this week.

Interesting.  I was wondering if Murph would get another look.

I remember Schlossman saying St. Clair will be ready this weekend and he fully expects him to play(or something along those lines). So I think St. Clair takes Murphy's spot.

If St. Clair is healthy, he plays....I am thinking those former Force guys may be playing with a little extra edge

Informed that Murphy was on a line with Pattyn and Schmaltz and St.C was with Chyz and Poolman. That was from Monday's practice obviously it could change as we go forward this week.

That Murphy-Schmaltz-Pattyn lines seems odd to me, but they must see something in practice.

Ugh. So much has been made of Murphy being "so good in practice"... It just hasn't translated come game time. I'd must rather see a guy like Saint in and Olson, too. Simo I think is a lock at this point.

Realize that injuries dictate some of the change, but it sure has the feel of Hak getting too cute with the lines at the wrong time of year. Load up the top 2 lines, have the Gaarder O'Donnel Pog line as a rock solid 3rd line, and have a 4th line that plays rarely if at all. There are 4 games left....not 4 months...time to ride the clydesdales.

• Upvote 1

Realize that injuries dictate some of the change, but it sure has the feel of Hak getting too cute with the lines at the wrong time of year. Load up the top 2 lines, have the Gaarder O'Donnel Pog line as a rock solid 3rd line, and have a 4th line that plays rarely if at all. There are 4 games left....not 4 months...time to ride the clydesdales.

I honestly think that is what he will do however what would be a "loaded two lines"? 

Hakstol is going to shake things up a bit this weekend, here is the whole lineup he will go with (purely speculation):

Mattson-Caggiula-Parks

Poolman-Schmaltz-Johnson

O'Donnell-Gaarder-Poganski

Pattyn-Simonson-St. Clair

Schmaltz-LaDue

Stecher-Ausmus

Thompson-Panzarella

Roll 4 lines, ride the two top pairings.  Need more skill up front.  If it doesn't work, Panz has more than enough experience at forward.

Anyone else feel like the coaches should give Johnson a stick that was maybe an inch longer? He could have 20 goals rather than 20 whiffs on the season. Seriously though, LJ is a guy they need to step up and be an impact player.

What do you mean? His stick is very large for his height. He more than likely is already using a longer stick. He's only 5'11 or 6 ft. 

Hakstol is going to shake things up a bit this weekend, here is the whole lineup he will go with (purely speculation):

Mattson-Caggiula-Parks

Poolman-Schmaltz-Johnson

Schmaltz-LaDue

Stecher-Ausmus

Thompson-Panzarella

Roll 4 lines, ride the two top pairings.  Need more skill up front.  If it doesn't work, Panz has more than enough experience at forward.

I don't believe Mattson has played a game at forward his entire UND career, don't think he'll start now.

• Upvote 2

Naturally, hosting in the Ralph would have been tremendous, but it should still be a pretty solid environment in Scheels. I am hoping that with the size of the building, it may actually get louder in there. Can anyone offer a comparison of the size or build of the arena to the old Ralph? I never made it to a game there but I always hear it was a really intimidating environment. Does Scheels compare in size, or was the old Ralph still way bigger?

The old Ralph was around 6,000.  Sheels arena hold 5000 for hockey, howerver there will be a lot more than that when you add up the standing room.  Having been in both I would sa that they are very comparable.  The old Ralph was a little bigger in terms of the size of the building and the height of the rood.  Scheels is a bit more intimate with a lower roof.  It has the potential to get pretty loud in there if we get a couple early goals on Friday night.  The atmoshpere will deffinitely bring back some momories of the Old Ralph!  Hopefully we can harness some of the old magic the old Ralph brough as well!

Mattson-Caggiula-Parks

Poolman-Schmaltz-Johnson

Schmaltz-LaDue

Stecher-Ausmus

Thompson-Panzarella

WTF? Mattson at F? 

Also, your last two sentences are contradicting.

What do you mean? His stick is very large for his height. He more than likely is already using a longer stick. He's only 5'11 or 6 ft. 

I was joking. Eluding to the fact that the kids swings and misses more than anyone I've seen. He has a hell of a shot when he doesn't lose control of the puck. If he can get a handle on the puck, he could really increase he scoring. Definitely some power behind his wrist shot though.

Mattson-Caggiula-Parks

Poolman-Schmaltz-Johnson

Schmaltz-LaDue

Stecher-Ausmus

Thompson-Panzarella

I don't believe Mattson has played a game at forward his entire UND career, don't think he'll start now.

Yeah, sorry, but not a chance a senior defenseman who's scored the team's leading point total since Christmas moves from the point for the first time in his career in the NCAA tournament lol. :crazy:

Also, moving Panz to forward doesn't add more skill.

• Upvote 1

WTF? Mattson at F? 

Also, your last two sentences are contradicting.

"Need more skill up front"=Mattson at forward.

"If it doesn't work" (meaning Mattson at forward) "Panz has more than enough experience at forward".

Yeah, sorry, but not a chance a senior defenseman who's scored the team's leading point total since Christmas moves from the point for the first time in his career in the NCAA tournament lol. :crazy:

Also, moving Panz to forward doesn't add more skill.

"If it doesn't work" (meaning Mattson at forward) "Panz has more than enough experience at forward".

Jake Marto played defenseman basically his whole career, but played 2nd line LW for down the stretch in 2010-2011.  Similar situation in the sense that 8 of the top 18 skater's on the team are defenseman.

Mattson is our best offensive player right now, something absolutely needs to change with our forward group (either personnel, or play) if this team is going to get out of the regional.

The team is deep with athletic guys who can generate good chances through hard work and straight-up hockey plays, like shots from the point through traffic, etc.  The only line I felt could have been "loaded up" this year, and one I expected to see in the NCAA tournament, was Mac-Parks-Caggiula.  Mac's gone, and I really think Caggiula is not 100%, so I don't think there's any loading up to do. 

Just roll lines and tell them to play hard.  And get dynamic offensive contributions from that slick defense.  And turn opposing Grade A chances into Grade B chances, as they did all year long until last weekend, when they gave out Grade A's like candy at a parade.

Jake Marto played defenseman basically his whole career, but played 2nd line LW for down the stretch in 2010-2011.  Similar situation in the sense that 8 of the top 18 skater's on the team are defenseman.

Mattson is our best offensive player right now, something absolutely needs to change with our forward group (either personnel, or play) if this team is going to get out of the regional.

How long will we have to figure out if the Mattson experiment will work? 1 period? It's win or go home. So then if it didn't work, you'd move Panz there and completely make the Mattson experiment irrelevant. By that move, you reduce all-around skill on the forward group when improving skill was the reason for the move in the first place. It's just not gonna happen.

Marto had a bunch of games down the stretch to get ready for that kind of change. Throwing Mattson in as a F in the NCAA tournament is just too risky.

How long will we have to figure out if the Mattson experiment will work? 1 period? It's win or go home. So then if it didn't work, you'd move Panz there and completely make the Mattson experiment irrelevant. By that move, you reduce all-around skill on the forward group when improving skill was the reason for the move in the first place. It's just not gonna happen.

Marto had a bunch of games down the stretch to get ready for that kind of change. Throwing Mattson in as a F in the NCAA tournament is just too risky.

...and not overly smart.  This isn't a video game, Mattson is 100% a D, not a F.  The offense he provides is from the point, I can almost guarentee he would be useless up front, he's a little too timid.  He needs time and space to operate. In the offensive zone, the offense is designed to play on the walls and in the corners.  I don't think mattson would have the grit to play there.

• Upvote 1

If it "doesn't work" the season is over.

Jake and Mattson's situations are apples and oranges.

While we're at it why not throw Jordan Schmaltz up to Forward? Parks seems physical and maybe could play some D so they could switch spots throughout the game if it doesn't work.

• Upvote 1