SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. SCSU - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

It was shared at the Sious Sports social that this team has now won 97 games in their 4 years and that every group of freshmen since 2002 has won at least 100 games in their 4 years at UND. This team has a few more wins in them. 

Im probably in the minority, but I wish the team didn't put so much pressure on themselves to win a national championship every freaking year.

Like, every year, it's the same thing about "unfinished business". And then Katie Hale's asking the seniors about their last game"hope it's on a Saturday in Beantown, but....".

But, on the other hand, it's always about not looking ahead. One game, one shift, one play at a time.

Which is it?

Hak should get a sports psychologist to work with the team, because I don't think he knows how to prepare guy's mentally.

“All things aside, I think the best decision for me was to stay in school and play in that leadership role in all different situations; touch a puck on the power play and play big minutes. Hopefully, it will only benefit our team. The rest of those guys – T.J., Taylor and Ryan – also made decisions for themselves but also ultimately for their futures. All four of us are going to play big minutes next year. Hopefully we can do what we set out to do and go into North Dakota, get back to the Frozen Four and finish some unfinished business.” - Joe Finley

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=463060

I have some unfinished business in North Dakota. The past three years we’ve been close, we’ve had a good team. We only lost three guys from last season, so we’re going to have a good team.” - Danny Kristo

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/search/label/North%20Dakota%20Fighting%20Sioux?updated-max=2012-07-19T12:32:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=19&by-date=false

"We feel like we have unfinished business. We've been to three straight Frozen Fours, but we haven't come home with the trophy we want yet. We hope to have a chance to hang another banner." - Taylor Chorney

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/ranking-not-important-to-hakstol/article_b3cbf07b-ac3b-52f5-9057-eb5b3337171f.html

“Zane went back to North Dakota to win a national championship after coming so close a year ago. He felt he had some unfinished business to attend to.” - Boston Bruins Assistant GM Don Sweeney

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/therink/Bs_prospect_McIntyre_has_unfinished_business_at_North_Dakota

I agree with what you're saying about the players and pressure but I don't necessarily think that the company line of "unfinished business" is something Dave Hakstol puts on the players himself. Seems the players themselves - along with the fans and news media - do a good enough job with the demands/expectations of national championships every year. At one of the Final Fives a few years back (I think it was 2011), the team wouldn't even touch the Broadmoor Trophy after winning the tournament because it wasn't the ultimate prize that the team wanted. I don't know who made that decision, but my view is that MacNaughton Cups and Broadmoor Trophies are part of the journey and deserve to be celebrated as an accomplishment in their own respective rights.

As fans, we're all in the same boat. If this team wasn't so damn exciting to watch every year, our disappointment wouldn't be so great when it ends without a national title. If we feel that badly, I can only imagine how bad the players feel. Every season brings expectations and hope. It'll be oh-so-special when one of these years finally goes North Dakota's way. For now, I agree with you again - just worry about next weekend's opponent and go from there.

• Upvote 2

To some fans, the only measure of success now is a banner.   Hakstol has 11 straight 20-win seasons, and the next closest is York with 5.   Yet some fans would ask for his head if he doesn't win the banner.  We all want a banner, but that's pretty mindless thinking, and it gets to the players, you can be sure. 

So with a Miami loss last night and a Sioux win, Und has at least a share of the penrose won correct? One win next weekend and it's all theirs!

Crazy how home ice for round one wasn't locked up until Friday night and the penrose was secured the following night!

Yep, one point and the cup is all there. Talk about motivation. 

I agree with what you're saying about the players and pressure but I don't necessarily think that the company line of "unfinished business" is something Dave Hakstol puts on the players himself. Seems the players themselves - along with the fans and news media - do a good enough job with the demands/expectations of national championships every year. At one of the Final Fives a few years back (I think it was 2011), the team wouldn't even touch the Broadmoor Trophy after winning the tournament because it wasn't the ultimate prize that the team wanted. I don't know who made that decision, but my view is that MacNaughton Cups and Broadmoor Trophies are part of the journey and deserve to be celebrated as an accomplishment in their own respective rights.

That was the 2011 Pony Express team, and that decision was made by the players.  If I remember correctly, it addresses it in the book that was made about that team.  Hakstol said that in hindsight, he wishes he would have made the players enjoy and relish each of those accomplishments more (or something to that effect, that's not a straight quote).

I hope Mac's injury is deep thigh bruise and not knee related. ...two possibilities from watching him on the ice after the game, one: it's not that bad, or two: it's season ending and no more damage can be done. I'm leaning towards the first one since I didn't notice any type of large stabilizing brace common with ACL/MCL injuries.

Another thing I feel is the officiating has been so horrible this season that hopefully it is preparing us for the NC$$ run, as it always seems other conference refs struggle with UND's style of play. ...this year it really can't get much worse.

Lastly I really like this teams play down the stretch we are a very difficult team to beat and overall extremely consistent. Looking around at scores and other NCHC series there seems to be lots of lopsided games every other night I hope this carries us to Boston and a Saturday night victory. ..GO SIOUX !!!!

I have always Loved Fighting Sioux Hockey - But have never felt this emotional about any team In over 35 yrs

When we had the DOT line, I think we all knew we were witnessing a rare combination of talent that might not come along again.   With this team, we are witnessing a special blue collar character and togetherness than we may not see again for a while. 

And has been mentioned before, even though they win through hard work and toughness, they have managed to do a good job of staying away from stupid in-your-face type penalties.  They seem to get the balance, and that has to come from their leaders. 

When we had the DOT line, I think we all knew we were witnessing a rare combination of talent that might not come along again.   With this team, we are witnessing a special blue collar character and togetherness than we may not see again for a while. 

And has been mentioned before, even though they win through hard work and toughness, they have managed to do a good job of staying away from stupid in-your-face type penalties.  They seem to get the balance, and that has to come from their leaders. 

I agree with most of what you say except staying away from the stupid in your face penalties.  It seems that LJ has quite a few of these.  Pattyn takes penalties, but it is the enforcer type, which I can handle.  Johnson, he doesn't have the speed and because of that he gets a lot of hooking/slashing penalties.  Even his penalty Friday night was due to his not keeping up with the play.

I get what you're saying but I think this team is very talented.  I actually think there may be just as many future NHL players on this team as there was on that 2010-2011 team.

I feel sorry for those who could not attend last night's game. The team absolutely laid it all out on the ice, every player. While the plays may not always have been there, that was a full 60 minute effort. It was a pleasure to watch. Thank you Fighting Sioux.

And for those who left the game early, I never could understand that mentality. Last night was a classic and you chose to leave.

• Upvote 1

I get what you're saying but I think this team is very talented.  I actually think there may be just as many future NHL players on this team as there was on that 2010-2011 team.

That's a fair point.   In goal and on D alone, we have some serious talent.  I guess I fell into the trap of looking at the scorers, where we do have NS and Caggiula, among others.   But this team wins with gritty play and hustle goals. 

Most of the time. 

You're right about Johnson.  He got away with one in the third when he cross checked a guy out of frustration at the faceoff dot.  It was just a stupid reaction.  

I saw that too.  If he tries that in the NCAA's, we're in the hole.

Well if this many people have heard things I'm guessing there is some truth to Mac being out for the year.  This program just cannot catch a break going into the playoffs recently.  If he is gone that is a terrible blow.  Doesn't look good in the long term.

Simo would be ideal to play center but Olson has a nice two way game as well and that could shake lines much more. Either way next guy up. Maybe they each get a game this weekend or both. Should be great series in Oxford!