SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-15 HS hockey season

sioux rube

For what it's worth, I skated at Scheels arena 2 days before the tournament and it was the slowest ice I had been on in a long time!

The ice was terrible....never got cold enough to set up. I liked the atmosphere for the kids but the ice was a joke.. Puck was bouncing for three days.  

The ice was terrible....never got cold enough to set up. I liked the atmosphere for the kids but the ice was a joke.. Puck was bouncing for three days.  

Got worse as the tourney went on. Better get it cold in there for the regional.

Even with the new high schools being added in South Fargo and West Fargo, are the enrollments of the Fargo area high schools much different than the two Grand Forks High Schools? And during much of the time that the GF schools have dominated, Fargo South actually was far and away the biggest school.

Fargo:

North: 952

South: 1084

Davies: 1204

Grand Forks:

GFC: 949

GFRR: 1177

West Fargo:

WF:  1320

WF Sheyenne: 1043

http://www.dpi.state.nd.us/finance/resources/enrollment/fall_enrollment_by_school_by_grade.pdf

• Upvote 1

The GF schools are no longer winning state hockey championships as frequently as they did in the past.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that GF wouldn't win one every single year like they did from 1959-1977 (I'm guessing very few ND schools played hockey then).

Four of the last seven is pretty impressive for GF though still.

It's the exact same rate (four gf titles in seven years) that happened back in 1978 (the year GF was finally dethroned) til 1984.

Things go in cycles. That's not an impressive prediction.

I could say: "in Fact the GF schools are winning state hockey championships as frequently as they did in the past (once there was actual competition)."

Stop spinning, it's one of the last four. We have entered a new era. They used to win state hockey about 70 to 80% of the time, from now on they're only going to win about 30 to 40% of the time (which is still very good, by the way, but the rest of the state has been narrowing the gap for quite some time now).

Your little trend (conveniently cut off at the four year mark) is only 2-single goal title games away from being 6 out of the last 7 years for Grand Forks champions. Coulda shoulda woulda.

Stop spinning, it's one of the last four. We have entered a new era. They used to win state hockey about 70 to 80% of the time, from now on they're only going to win about 30 to 40% of the time (which is still very good, by the way, but the rest of the state has been narrowing the gap for quite some time now).

Dave - the part I love best about reading your posts is how you take the timeframe that you choose (or any data that you choose for your argument, depending on what's being debated) and then scold others and demand that they follow your rules and recognize you as the expert and the 'winner' of the debate/argument!  It's just brilliant!! :D

About 10 years ago I predicted that the days of Red River and Central holding a monopoly on state championships would soon be coming to an end,

Nothing new, just cherry picking what you said and leaving out the part where you were really wrong.  You said the dominance and balance of power was going to shift to Fargo not that the field was going to be more level.  Grand Forks has won 5 of the 10 titles since then, Fargo has won 2. 

I would bet that if you took a vote of all North Dakota HS players as to which arena they would prefer for the state championship, the Ralph would easily come out on top. 

Why wouldn't they want to play at the greatest hockey arena in the USA, if not the world.   (note the lack of a question mark.)

The bottom line is, the gap has closed. Two titles in a row for the west. Minot was the number three seed out of the West Region this year. In the past the West number one would lose in the first round. The west really only has 3 teams that can realistically win state. The rest just don't have the depth to do it. The east will always win more titles, with GF winning a majority of them. 

• Upvote 1

One of the last four.

The same as 91-94.

We could do this all day long.

The bottom line is, the gap has closed. Two titles in a row for the west. Minot was the number three seed out of the West Region this year. In the past the West number one would lose in the first round. The west really only has 3 teams that can realistically win state. The rest just don't have the depth to do it. The east will always win more titles, with GF winning a majority of them.

Considering the west had one championship. It had to "narrow" sometime. Gap couldnt have gotten any bigger :p.

The bottom line is, the gap has closed. Two titles in a row for the west. Minot was the number three seed out of the West Region this year. In the past the West number one would lose in the first round. The west really only has 3 teams that can realistically win state. The rest just don't have the depth to do it. The east will always win more titles, with GF winning a majority of them. 

Make no mistake about it - every time I see a post from you, my mind automatically believes that it's coming from Dave Starman and when I read what you write I do it in my best Dave Starman impression (in my head)!

Make no mistake about it - every time I see a post from you, my mind automatically believes that it's coming from Dave Starman and when I read what you write I do it in my best Dave Starman impression (in my head)!

Does that increase or decrease my credibility? :)

#2 Mahtomedi 6 New Ulm 3 in game 1 a little closer than I figured it would be and a competitive game. 

#3 EGF and New Prague scoreless almost halfway through the 1st. EGF's top line will have a couple goals before this one is over Loven-Bowen-Tweten are really creating some solid chances when they are on the ice,

Bowen just got stopped on a breakaway.