SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-15 HS hockey season

sioux rube

I agree, the atmosphere is significantly better.  There is nothing more half assed than seeing one big open building with a "wall" separating two courts.  There is also the question of fairness.  Look at Minot this year.  They have a good chance of playing in the championship in all 3 major tournaments and for all 3 of them they have to bus 5 hours to Fargo or 3 1/2 to Grand Forks.  Meanwhile the East doesn't really travel at all.

5 straight A title game appearances without a title. No sympathy from me for continuing to sandbag in Class A.

Their coach was asked about a possible move to AA in the post game press conference and he said something like some years we would compete and some years we wouldn't so we will just stay where we are.

When does EGF play next?

Sodbuster--EGF next plays on Fri morn vs Mahtomedi in semi-final at 11:00 a.m., believe it's on tv again. If they make the final I think it's at noon on Saturday. Daughter is in pep band and put on 600 plus miles today to/fro. Leaves Fri morning at 4:00a.m. (oh, she'll really love that!) on the bus again.

Sodbuster--EGF next plays on Fri morn vs Mahtomedi in semi-final at 11:00 a.m., believe it's on tv again. If they make the final I think it's at noon on Saturday. Daughter is in pep band and put on 600 plus miles today to/fro. Leaves Fri morning at 4:00a.m. (oh, she'll really love that!) on the bus again.

Thank you ! I really enjoyed watching them tonight (DVR ed) but didn't catch their next game time. I'll plan on rooting for/watching them Friday!

I know that feeling. Freshman year of high school 5am departure to play pep band for state volleyball at the X. Would get back just as school got done. Repeat for Friday. Good times.

Their coach was asked about a possible move to AA in the post game press conference and he said something like some years we would compete and some years we wouldn't so we will just stay where we are.

And some years, Lakeville North, Eden Prairie, and Bloomington Jefferson compete and some years they don't. Boo hoo, Hermantown.

And some years, Lakeville North, Eden Prairie, and Bloomington Jefferson compete and some years they don't. Boo hoo, Hermantown.

It doesn't bother me that Hermantown stays. Breck needs to follow St. Thomas Academy up too AA.
  • Upvote 1

That wasn't my main point, that was a secondary point. My main point was that the rest of the state would catch up to the GF schools, and they have. The reason why my secondary point did not come true is due to the fact that Davies High School came along and took 75% of the hockey players on the south end of Fargo. If Davies still did not exist to this day it is very likely that South would have won a few more titles since their last one in 2006. Of course that is purely theoretical, and as with anything else that is theoretical it can't be proven or disproven... but what we do know is that the last five years before the split happened the Fargo Flyers won four state championships at the Bantam A level. It isn't too difficult to connect the dots on that one to speculate as to what would have happened if Davies didn't come along. But I'm glad it happened because now twice as many kids have an opportunity to play varsity hockey on the south end of town. I do not see another Fargo school winning a state title any time soon, and that's okay. I would much rather see more kids get a chance to play than to see Fargo schools win state championships.

Now, back to the main point... the two GF schools have started to win state championships much less frequently than they used to, just as I said they would. I was right, and there are some incredibly stubborn people here who are refusing to eat the big plate of crow that they earned. Rather than man up and admit how wrong they were, they're deflecting from the main point and going on major spin cycle. Too funny!!! :lol:

you are the only one here that thinks you are right in virtually every argument you start here
  • Upvote 1

That wasn't my main point, that was a secondary point. My main point was that the rest of the state would catch up to the GF schools, and they have. The reason why my secondary point did not come true is due to the fact that Davies High School came along and took 75% of the hockey players on the south end of Fargo. If Davies still did not exist to this day it is very likely that South would have won a few more titles since their last one in 2006. Of course that is purely theoretical, and as with anything else that is theoretical it can't be proven or disproven... but what we do know is that the last five years before the split happened the Fargo Flyers won four state championships at the Bantam A level. It isn't too difficult to connect the dots on that one to speculate as to what would have happened if Davies didn't come along. But I'm glad it happened because now twice as many kids have an opportunity to play varsity hockey on the south end of town. I do not see another Fargo school winning a state title any time soon, and that's okay. I would much rather see more kids get a chance to play than to see Fargo schools win state championships.

Now, back to the main point... the two GF schools have started to win state championships much less frequently than they used to, just as I said they would. I was right, and there are some incredibly stubborn people here who are refusing to eat the big plate of crow that they earned. Rather than man up and admit how wrong they were, they're deflecting from the main point and going on major spin cycle. Too funny!!! :lol:

You have no idea what you are talking about. I had 3 sons play for the Fargo Flyers, and 2 won state titles at Bantam A. It did not translate to State titles for Fargo South. Why? There are many reasons, but one reason is because several kids went to other schools. For example, a goalie and defenseman that played Flyers all the way through bantams went to Fargo North, where they won a state title. They also played 3 years of varsity at North, but would not have had that opportunity with Fargo South because Wade Storey has no clue what he is doing and plays favorites. Wade Storey could not win a title if you combined South, Davies and GF RR. Dean Wilson was a good coach, but the Flyers program was basically run by Wade Storey (who was the squirt coach and coordinator) and by his hand-picked coaches at Pee Wees and Bantams (like Andy Leapaldt). The Flyers had tons of talent, but were their own worst enemy. Don't blame the split--blame it on the fact that Grand Forks teams get better once they get to high school, and south Fargo teams lose good kids because of the politics and poor coaching/development. Give Rob Aasand at North the talent South had the past 2 years and he would win a few more titles.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I had 3 sons play for the Fargo Flyers, and 2 won state titles at Bantam A. It did not translate to State titles for Fargo South. Why? There are many reasons, but one reason is because several kids went to other schools. For example, a goalie and defenseman that played Flyers all the way through bantams went to Fargo North, where they won a state title. They also played 3 years of varsity at North, but would not have had that opportunity with Fargo South because Wade Storey has no clue what he is doing and plays favorites. Wade Storey could not win a title if you combined South, Davies and GF RR. Dean Wilson was a good coach, but the Flyers program was basically run by Wade Storey (who was the squirt coach and coordinator) and by his hand-picked coaches at Pee Wees and Bantams (like Andy Leapaldt). The Flyers had tons of talent, but were their own worst enemy. Don't blame the split--blame it on the fact that Grand Forks teams get better once they get to high school, and south Fargo teams lose good kids because of the politics and poor coaching/development. Give Rob Aasand at North the talent South had the past 2 years and he would win a few more titles.

It's funny you say that. I've heard lots of the complaints of Fargo people about this. One thing to consider is at least 5-7 kids left Fargo, regardless of the school, to play AAA hockey in Kansas City. And for the person who said keep state hockey at Scheels....the ice sucks and CAN NOT handle all of the games over a state tourney. Great facility, great atmosphere but only Minot thought the ice was good as they play a slow, trap, chip it out of the zone game. 

Congrats to Minot, but their draw as a #3 seed could not have broken better.  I believe they beat one team with a cumulative record over .500 to win the state championship.

Seems like the key to winning these days is having the best players that aren't quite good enough to go play elsewhere.  It appears that the east still has more top end, potential college type players, but if they ain't wearing the sweater of their HS it doesn't equate to championships.

Bismarck's team last year was carried largely by non-Bismarck kids that weren't quite good enough to cut it in juniors.

As a college football coach told me in regard to local talent with the change to play at a higher level, we want them to be good, but not too good.

Congrats to Minot, but their draw as a #3 seed could not have broken better. I believe they beat one team with a cumulative record over .500 to win the state championship.

I'm sure the players will request that that be noted on their state championship rings...

Interesting that some teams are getting up early to commute, DHS was not allowed to stay in Bismarck for the WDA because it was under 100 miles. Even though the local club offered to pay for the rooms. Nice stick in the eye when a JV basketball team got to stay the night twice.

Edina 3 Bemidji 0 after 1. Took about half the period for Bemidji to really start playing and Edina is very fast and very skilled. With most of these guys back next year and a good chance to repeat as 8AA Champs Bemidji should play a tougher schedule next season and I think they probably will. 

Interesting that some teams are getting up early to commute, DHS was not allowed to stay in Bismarck for the WDA because it was under 100 miles. Even though the local club offered to pay for the rooms. Nice stick in the eye when a JV basketball team got to stay the night twice.

100 miles and a time zone change away.

That seems fair.