SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-15 HS hockey season

sioux rube

I think the "poor ice" issue is a little over dramatized. Don't seem to hear much about it from the those associated with the Force very often. I know it's not perfect ice but very decent most of the time.

I have talked to a few Force players that I know. They hate it.

Lot of complaints about the ice though. I didn't think it was to bad Thursday but as the tourney went on you could see the water standing more and more during the play.

In the first game the water stopped the puck for Central but other than that it just looked wet and didn't seem to affect the play too much.

They lost money last year. Itd be perfect if gf had a rink about that size and a junior team. It was a decent crowd though. Gf is getting too spoiled with hockey as if it's a right and not a privilege.

As a former HS coach and now a spectator I would rather have it at the Ralph. Just where it belongs. Just like the fact that both venues are attached and you can watch the other game between periods.

As a former HS coach and now a spectator I would rather have it at the Ralph. Just where it belongs. Just like the fact that both venues are attached and you can watch the other game between periods.

There's no denying that it just belongs in gf. The Englestad is just too big. The old one was perfect. The first year in the new one it was pretty packed for a couple games. Down hill since then.

They lost money last year. Itd be perfect if gf had a rink about that size and a junior team. It was a decent crowd though. Gf is getting too spoiled with hockey as if it's a right and not a privilege.

If Fargo gets to have the Dakota Bowl every year from now on, then Grand Forks should have the hockey tournament every year from now on.  Let Minot and Bismarck rotate the Class B Boys and Girls Basketball Tournaments and let Fargo and Grand Forks rotate the Class A Boys and Girls Tournaments.

And I am sick of hearing that REA is just too busy to have the state tournament there anymore.  That is like the Fargodome saying they are too busy to host the Dakota Bowl anymore.  Schedules are made years in advance; figure it out.

About 10 years ago I predicted that the days of Red River and Central holding a monopoly on state championships would soon be coming to an end,

And that the Fargo based teams would be taking over. Last I checked Bismarck and Minot are not Fargo

• Upvote 1

Few observations. 1) Dave Hakstol should be placed on notice.....he is no longer the only hockey coach in town that can't win the big one despite having the best talent. 2) The overall talent level of ND high school hockey right now is down, and pretty much has been for the last 3-4 years (the amazing Central group of Ladue, Johnson, Simonson was the last good batch). This doesn't diminish the Minot title as the talent level is down across the board. 3) When one town has had at least one of their two teams in the title game for what seams like the last 20-25 years, that still qualifies as overall dominance, but the gap has narrowed. Some is the west maybe getting a little better but a lot has to do with the Grafton's and Grand Forks teams falling back to the pack.

Sprig is right: 

Dave K's exact quote in 2005.

Although the Bruins didn't get it done this year, I still believe it's inevitable that the balance of power in ND hockey is going to shift one hour south of GF in the near future. 
GF has all the history and tradition, but the future of ND hockey dominance is in Fargo.

And in the ten years that followed. "one hour to the south" has won two championships.

While "one hour to the North" has won half (5 out of those ten.)

Don't pat yourself too hard.

And doesn't Fargo have an advantage with only needing one out of what four high schools, twice as many as GF. It's probably inevitable because GF just isn't growing like the rest of the state.

just for fun here's Nostradamus (I mean DaveK) the year RR and Central played in the title game (2005):

All-GF final? Oh geez, and people think I'm stuck in the '80s.  :silly: 

Central is going to have their lunch handed to them by Minot in the 1st round, and Red River is going to be taken out by South in the semis. South is going to win it all, over either Minot or Grafton-PR. The loser between Minot and Grafton-PR will beat Red River in the 3rd place game. Central will take 5th.
  • Upvote 1

Are you suggesting that I predicted the Fargo schools would replace the GF schools in winning 80-90% of all state hockey championships in the future? Selective memory there, sprig. No, that was not my prediction. What I predicted was that the two GF schools would continue to win a title once in a while but not nearly as often as they did in the past. I predicted that other schools would start to win more in the very near future. My definition of "other schools" certainly included, but was by no means exclusive to, the Fargo schools. In the last four years we have seen four different schools from four different cities win the state hockey championship. Those four schools are Minot, Bismarck, GF Red River, and Fargo North.

Want to try again to discredit my spot-on prediction?

What I find funny is that Grafton-Park River, with their relatively small enrollment for a high school with a hockey program, has a total of 5 state championships, while "the best high school in North Dakota" has just 3 state titles.  And now with Davies sucking up at least half (if not more) of the available talent on Fargo's southend, "the best high school in North Dakota" is a shell of its former self.  There is justice in the world after all! :p

Sprig is right: 

And in the ten years that followed. "one hour to the south" has won two championships.

And doesn't Fargo have an advantage with only needing one out of what four high schools, twice as many as GF. It's probably inevitable because GF just isn't growing like the rest of the state.

just for fun here's Nostradamus (I mean DaveK) the year RR and Central played in the title game (2005):

Thanks for finding those. I wasn't going to search even though I remember them "vividly". :bigsmile: Spot on prediction officially discredited. And the spin, I see, has begun.

Thanks for finding those. I wasn't going to search even though I remember them "vividly". :bigsmile: Spot on prediction officially discredited. And the spin, I see, has begun.

sadly now, I have to remove the Nostradamus nickname...didn't know you were just throwing darts Dave K...unless of course you come up with another prediction.

sadly now, I have to remove the Nostradamus nickname...didn't know you were just throwing darts Dave K...unless of course you come up with another prediction.

We are now part of davek's ignorant fool group. Guess I was long ago when I argued about hdtv. Maybe still a Nastradamus wannabe?

Sprig is right:

Hopefully Oxbow didn't eat all of that big helping of crow that DaveK tried to serve. DaveK might need some back.

Hopefully Oxbow didn't eat all of that big helping of crow that DaveK tried to serve. DaveK might need some back.

I did......Hail DaveK!

My prediction for the next 5 days will in FL........it will be warmer here than in Fargo.

Edit....had to consult DaveK first on that one though.

I made more than one post on that subject, and I remember vividly stating that I believed there would be some titles won by other schools throughout the state as well. Let's not deflect from the point, which is that the two GF schools combined have failed to win the state championship now three times in the past four years. It is time for people to drop the obnoxious/arrogant attitudes and stop acting like GF kids have the birthright to winning state hockey championships based on where they're from and what happened in previous generations. Regarding the South/Davies situation... imagine if GF opened a new school that took 75% of the hockey players from Red River. That school would have a good team, and Red River would still have a decent team. But neither one of those teams would be as good as what Red River was prior to the split. That is what is currently happening in Fargo, and one would have to be an ignorant fool to deny that fact.

Even with the new high schools being added in South Fargo and West Fargo, are the enrollments of the Fargo area high schools much different than the two Grand Forks High Schools? And during much of the time that the GF schools have dominated, Fargo South actually was far and away the biggest school.