SiouxSports.com Forum

Arizona State D1 Hockey

IrishSiouxFan

Any conference who gets Notre Dame gets a team and a school that only cares about itself. I hope Hockey East is enjoying the new Fighting Irish Hockey Network, formerly known as NBCSN.

Notre Dame won't compromise when they know plenty of people would move mountains to get them.

Notre Dame won't compromise when they know plenty of people would move mountains to get them.

Notre Dame the school is a big deal.  Nortre Dame the hockey team is nothing special.  A couple conference titles, a handful of playoff appearences, and a frozen four under their belt in decades of existence.  In the eyes of college hockey, they are nobodys. 

• Upvote 1

Notre Dame the school is a big deal.  Nortre Dame the hockey team is nothing special.  A couple conference titles, a handful of playoff appearences, and a frozen four under their belt in decades of existence.  In the eyes of college hockey, they are nobodys. 

^^Truth

found this in the comments section of Ryan Kennedy's article:

Here are the schools that have won ACHA D1 championships, Start there, then look at willingness to move to a Varsity program, $$ in the endowment, local interest in hockey, a local venue with at least 2500 (preferable 5000+) seats, and recruiting power.

Penn State (5 times) (Already in D1)
Ohio (4 times)
Illinois (2 times)
Lindenwood (2 times)
North Dakota State (2 times)
Arizona State (Next D1 program)
Davenport
Delaware
Iowa State
Minot State
Oakland
Rhode Island

To me, Hockey East, and the ECAC are saturated, with 12 schools each. Atlantic Hockey has an odd number so, Rhode Island is a decent choice, I know they have had discussion regarding D-1 hockey at an admin level in the past.

Big 10 with 6, NCHC with 8, and WCHA with 10 have even #s, so the logical thing to do with either of those conferences is have plans for two teams to round out the conference (similar to what Hockey East did with Notre Dame and Connecticut in 2013, 2014), though the big 10 has said that they only want schools that play a straight Big 10 across all sports. That said, Illinois would be the logical first choice, followed by maybe Iowa. ND State and Lindenwood to NCHC would work, Ohio and Minot St. would be decent choices for the WCHA, but I'm not sure of any's willingness or capability to go to D-1, however.

Notre Dame the school is a big deal. Nortre Dame the hockey team is nothing special. A couple conference titles, a handful of playoff appearences, and a frozen four under their belt in decades of existence. In the eyes of college hockey, they are nobodys.

And yet your conference wanted them badly... Apparently your conference was a bunch of nobodies looking to Notre Dame to add value? In the eyes of collegiate athletics, Notre Dame is... And probably always will be.. A crown jewel.

found this in the comments section of Ryan Kennedy's article:

Here are the schools that have won ACHA D1 championships, Start there, then look at willingness to move to a Varsity program, $$ in the endowment, local interest in hockey, a local venue with at least 2500 (preferable 5000+) seats, and recruiting power.

Penn State (5 times) (Already in D1)

Ohio (4 times)

Illinois (2 times)

Lindenwood (2 times)

North Dakota State (2 times)

Arizona State (Next D1 program)

Davenport

Delaware

Iowa State

Minot State

Oakland

Rhode Island

To me, Hockey East, and the ECAC are saturated, with 12 schools each. Atlantic Hockey has an odd number so, Rhode Island is a decent choice, I know they have had discussion regarding D-1 hockey at an admin level in the past.

Big 10 with 6, NCHC with 8, and WCHA with 10 have even #s, so the logical thing to do with either of those conferences is have plans for two teams to round out the conference (similar to what Hockey East did with Notre Dame and Connecticut in 2013, 2014), though the big 10 has said that they only want schools that play a straight Big 10 across all sports. That said, Illinois would be the logical first choice, followed by maybe Iowa. ND State and Lindenwood to NCHC would work, Ohio and Minot St. would be decent choices for the WCHA, but I'm not sure of any's willingness or capability to go to D-1, however.

I feel like NDSU would be a tough sell for recruits.

North Dakota State would never catch up to UND in terms of hockey and would always be the little brother getting the players that didn't get recruited by us.

And yet your conference wanted them badly... Apparently your conference was a bunch of nobodies looking to Notre Dame to add value? In the eyes of collegiate athletics, Notre Dame is... And probably always will be.. A crown jewel.

You saw 'em play last weekend...after that performance in Minneapolis, I'm sure you're wondering what the NCHC was thinking too!

You saw 'em play last weekend...after that performance in Minneapolis, I'm sure you're wondering what the NCHC was thinking too!

I know, you know, and everyone knows what the NCHC was thinking. Getting Notre Dame is the best thing that can happen to pretty much any conference.

North Dakota State would never catch up to UND in terms of hockey and would always be the little brother getting the players that didn't get recruited by us.

It would be nice to always have them in our shadow..but yes realistically it will never happen, I really like the idea of Illinois or Iowa St.  as much as I dislike the Big 10 the conference needs some help and what’s good for College hockey is good for UND as we will always be in the forefront of the sport…I noticed Minot State on the list too…I know they do have a respectable club team however I feel monies would be a huge factor in moving up....maybe they could get Haliburton to sponsor the team :whistling: 

Notre Dame has unbelievable facilities, tons of money, great name recognition and visibility.  Although their hockey history is nothing special, it's as good as Miami and St. Cloud and better than Omaha and Western Michigan.  If they wouldn't have been stubborn about their TV deal, they'd probably be in the NCHC right now.  They are far from "nobodys" in the college hockey world.

Notre Dame has unbelievable facilities, tons of money, great name recognition and visibility. Although their hockey history is nothing special, it's as good as Miami and St. Cloud and better than Omaha and Western Michigan. If they wouldn't have been stubborn about their TV deal, they'd probably be in the NCHC right now. They are far from "nobodys" in the college hockey world.

He already knew that, he is just bitter that Notre Dame broke his heart.

Notre Dame has unbelievable facilities, tons of money, great name recognition and visibility. Although their hockey history is nothing special, it's as good as Miami and St. Cloud and better than Omaha and Western Michigan. If they wouldn't have been stubborn about their TV deal, they'd probably be in the NCHC right now. They are far from "nobodys" in the college hockey world.

Was Notre dame stubborn about the tv arrangements or was the nchc stubborn? The way things stand today with the CBS deal, couldn't Notre dame be in the nchc with their current tv deal?

Was Notre dame stubborn about the tv arrangements or was the nchc stubborn? The way things stand today with the CBS deal, couldn't Notre dame be in the nchc with their current tv deal?

Good point.  I guess it depends on your perspective.  I think it's probable that both sides were being stubborn.  My perspective always was to let Notre Dame in and let them keep their TV deal.  That would have been better for the conference and certainly better for UND (who also would have gotten to keep their own TV deal).  And, you're right, the TV deal changed a year later anyway rendering the whole thing moot.  From this outsider's perspective, it seems like the NCHC bungled the whole issue.  

Meh.  Our club team already beats them regularly.

If SU went varsity I don't think club history would be particularly relevant.

Who knows how long it would take.... All it takes is a goalie to stand on his head one night.

The old guard Teammakers would never allow hockey at SU. Hockey is a four letter word at Teammakers.  Its only for Canadians, Minnesotas, and Arizonans.  Minot State will be DI in hockey before SU.  

The students would have to not show up at the FargoDome for SU football. ...   Oh wait. their bored with SU football and don't show up anyway.

I respect Notre Dame's rich history in football.

If this topic were about being in the same football conference as them & we were at that level, I would be all for it.

But when it comes to hockey, I'm totally ambivalent. Could not care less.

Regardless if the NCHC courted them or not.

My opinion may not make a lot of financial sense, but Notre Dame is a non-factor for me when it comes to hockey.

Someone told me that one of NDSU's major donors said that if NDSU added hockey, their money would dry up. Maybe one of our friends from NDSU could tell us if that rumor is true. Also, there's no way they could get up to UND's speed in hockey. I don't see it happening.