SiouxSports.com Forum

Arizona State D1 Hockey

IrishSiouxFan

Ok so the Sioux are a bigger draw in St. Cloud than St. Cloud is in grand forks. I guess it's practically impossible to compare what rinks have the best atmosphere but from my experience the atmosphere at the Ralph generally is lacking. Don't get me wrong out of all the games I've been to(I'm sure many on here have been to more than myself) I've seen the Ralph rock pretty hard. Sioux gopher games, world junior championship, the west regional, and a Denver game maybe 6 years ago. I know there's been more at the Ralph but generally the place has more of a social NHL type atmosphere pretty comparable to the leafs games I've been to. I just prefer the smaller and cozier college venues.

I remember that Denver game like it was yesterday. Place was going nuts!

I'll go to the ASU games (20 min. away) not to watch any hockey, but to watch their cheerleaders. If they are even as remotely hot as those jr. MILFS on Mill Ave., I am so there. It's like these hotties are a dime a dozen on the ASU main campus..

I'll go to the ASU games (20 min. away) not to watch any hockey, but to watch their cheerleaders. If they are even as remotely hot as those jr. MILFS on Mill Ave., I am so there. It's like these hotties are a dime a dozen on the ASU main campus..

Was down there a couple weeks ago. Homecoming weekend at ASU, Mill Ave. was jumping! Saw ASU beat Utah in overtime.

My argument flatlines when the question of how many NCs has the Ralph brought us. It hasn't & it's frustrating. 

I think the Ralph has helped draw great recruits for Coach Hakstol over the last 12 years; & subsequently field dominant teams during the regular season. But for some reason they can't succeed in the one-&-done playoff scenario. I'm not on the inside of the program so I haven't a clue as to why they're always short in April. It makes for lively conversation during Happy Hour, but I don't think there's one tangible reason they don't win it all aside from horrendously bad luck.

Happy hour by the pool, perhaps?

This thread has gotten way off track.

First of all, the NCHC would never invite NDSU because it doesn't offer any new media coverage.  The WCHA would, but NDSU wouldn't start hockey unless they could be on par with UND.  So the whole issue would be a mute point.

The issue with Arizona State is that would they be committed to the NCHC for more than a couple of years.  Should the NCHC bring aboard Arizona St, and the Arizona, USC, and Stanford, if they intent of those schools is to eventually break from the NCHC and start a PAC12 hockey league.  I think it would well be worth the media attention it would give to college hockey and the NCHC.  It would grow the game and benefit all schools in the NCHC.

• Upvote 1

The issue with Arizona State is that would they be committed to the NCHC for more than a couple of years. Should the NCHC bring aboard Arizona St, and the Arizona, USC, and Stanford, if they intent of those schools is to eventually break from the NCHC and start a PAC12 hockey league. I think it would well be worth the media attention it would give to college hockey and the NCHC. It would grow the game and benefit all schools in the NCHC.

That's a good argument...even if it was only temporary, the affiliation would no doubt raise the profile of schools like Denver, CC, UND, etc.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three things not to like about SCSU:

• Their early, vocal role in trying to get rid of "Fighting Sioux"
  • Erin Marvin's hit on Chay Genoway -  very possibly the cheapest hit I've ever seen
  • Motzko's recruiting and/or coaching up of divers.

Isn't that what makes for good rivalries? Not apologizing for them as I am a true Sioux fan, but as has been shared the "vocal role" against the nickname was driven by the college president and liberal professors on campus (sound familiar to UND?), the hit on Chat - yup Marvin was known as a hitter as were all Marvins, as far as players diving - no one is better than the Gophers. I was not questioning that we have plenty to not like about them but I was questioning the need to "be little" them. THey are a rival that's easy to dislike and a nice annual road trip. Maybe it's because I hate it when the state of North Dakota gets bashed nationally or when schools like Minnesota and BU look down their nose at us - I think we as a fan base can be better than that. Let's hate them because it's a healthy rivalry.

It must be tough overreacting to every single game, especially in a sport like hockey.

It was a tongue in cheek post about how how some people have stated or believe UNDs tradition and/arena helps them win hockey games.

Which it does to an extent, but that doesn't mean others can't compete just as well if not better for any given year.

It was a tongue in cheek post about how how some people have stated or believe UNDs tradition and/arena helps them win hockey games.

Which it does to an extent, but that doesn't mean others can't compete just as well if not better for any given year.

Might help them recruit players, attract coaches, raise fundraising from alumni which could lead to more consistency by developing players the best way possible. When's the last time we didn't make the tournament? 10 years ago?

But in a single game at the college level, anyone can win. I feel like that's a pretty obvious thing. Over the long term though we will have more success than most teams.

Their tradition and arena is a result of winning hockey games and building a great hockey program, not the other way around.

• Upvote 1

People are putting far too much emphasis on the arena. Yes, that probably will be a bit of a factor, but not near as much as you think. What helps get recruits is amenities they use EVERY day. The weight room, training facilities, etc. Arena's are empty while they're in it far more often than they're filled.

Ask Minnesota football coaches, they have one of the best football stadiums in the Big Ten now with what is arguably the biggest, and nicest locker room in both the NCAA and NFL. What Minnesota lacks, though, and their coaches have been screaming for more, is the other amenities. Weight room, training facilities, etc. because they have what are arguably the worst in the B1G. (Although within a couple years they'll be some of the best facilities in the entire country). THAT'S what recruits really want because it's where they spend >90% of their time. They want the things that are going to make them better and more equipped for the next level. If you had the best training facilities in college hockey you could probably recruit almost any body you want to, even if you literally play in a barn. 

Tradition and everything does help, obviously, but if you have the training facilities you can make vast strides in a short time.

• Upvote 1