SiouxSports.com Forum

Arizona State D1 Hockey

IrishSiouxFan

I'm not sure there is a reason to add a 10th school if ASU joins the NCHC.  In that case I would set up scheduling with three pods

I agree.  The NCHC shouldn't expand to 10 just for the sake of having an even number.  It should be either a Notre Dame-type situation, or maybe a Bowling Green if they invest in hockey.  If there isn't a really good option for a 10th, keep it at 9 and wait.

I don't care at all about whether they are full D1 or not or what kind of university they are all I look at is what they are going to add as a hockey program to the conference and I see schools like Ferris State, Mankato, or Michigan Tech adding a lot more however those are 3 of the strongest teams in the WCHA and I would still like to see the WCHA have some successful teams as well so I definitely wouldn't be in favor of adding more than 1 of those teams.

Why do you think UND and Denver left the WCHA? There's a reason they didn't ask MTU, Mankato, Ferris State, etc, to come along to the NCHC. The schools you mention are all small budget schools that can't compete with the Big Schools. If hockey continues to expand, who would you want to be aligned with? I think UND's already given their answer...reference the NCHC.

Edit: should clarify that when I say "can't compete with the big schools" I'm referring to budgets. BGSU has greater potential, should they choose to make hockey a priority.

Why do you think UND and Denver left the WCHA? There's a reason they didn't ask MTU, Mankato, Ferris State, etc, to come along to the NCHC. The schools you mention are all small budget schools that can't compete with the Big Schools. If hockey continues to expand, who would you want to be aligned with? I think UND's already given their answer...reference the NCHC.

So how do you explain St Cloud being on the do-not-call list until Notre Dame says "no thanks," at which time St Cloud is all of a sudden a great fit?

So how do you explain St Cloud being on the do-not-call list until Notre Dame says "no thanks," at which time St Cloud is all of a sudden a great fit?

Obviously they were a back up plan. Who has more history in College hockey, SCSU or ND? Yet which school was the NCHC trying to go after? Not a great fit, but the next best thing. SCSU was also showing some commitment to hockey as they were planning/started a multi million dollar renovation to their arena. UND/Denver left the WCHA because they didn't want to be in a conference where the majority of teams had "small budgets."

Recruiting-wise, no one has mentioned the flip side of those nice 80 degree days - that would be the 115 degree days. That could be a big turn-off for a lot of prospects. And the distance from home (other than AZ and CA) might be a disadvantage also.

Everyone loves playing hockey in a dry heat.

;)

I'm sure that if there is potentially another Pac-12 school seriously thinking about following suit (U. of Arizona) the NCHC most likely has the inside track and has most likely reached out to them.  BGSU isn't a terrible school, I just think there might be better options out there for our conference that might be on the horizon.  ASU is the canary in the mine, I think a lot of other Pac-12 schools are going to wait and see how it pans out and even then will probably wait a while to invest in D1 hockey.  I think adding ASU is greta for UND as it will help foster a relationship between our two athletic departments and maybe a hockey rivalry might develop into a basketball, volleyball, football rivalry, etc.. down the road.  Their fans seem excited about the prospect of playing the Sioux at home.  Not to mention the additional NCHC tv subscribers. 

Obviously they were a back up plan. Who has more history in College hockey, SCSU or ND? Yet which school was the NCHC trying to go after? Not a great fit, but the next best thing. SCSU was also showing some commitment to hockey as they were planning/started a multi million dollar renovation to their arena. UND/Denver left the WCHA because they didn't want to be in a conference where the majority of teams had "small budgets."

More hockey history? Ummm...you do know that hockey at Notre Dame has existed for just over 100 years and it has pretty much been a D1 school since 1968, right? SCSU's been around the top level since, what, 1989?

Michigan Tech had already completed a major renovation when St Cloud was promising to get one going. And don't even get me started on Western Michigan...

Wouldn't doubt that the Pig 10 is in the conference sweepstakes for ASU hockey.  The Star and Sickled insinuated as much.

ASU isn't AAU, so they don't meet the Pig 10's academic standards.  But the Pig 10's real standard is money.  The Pac12 and the Big10 consider themselves brother conferences, so the Big10 could come up with a scheme to incubate new Pac12 teams.

Wouldn't doubt that the Pig 10 is in the conference sweepstakes for ASU hockey.  The Star and Sickled insinuated as much.

ASU isn't AAU, so they don't meet the Pig 10's academic standards.  But the Pig 10's real standard is money.  The Pac12 and the Big10 consider themselves brother conferences, so the Big10 could come up with a scheme to incubate new Pac12 teams.

I don't think the Big 10 is interested in ASU. #1 they're not an AAU member as you mentioned. #2 They're are a geographical outlier with substantial travel costs. #3 They won't generate that much additional interest for their fan bases. #4 They want to reserve those spots for future Big 10 schools to make the jump.  Seriously, if they were to make a play for any school during the conference shuffle it would have been Notre Dame and they clearly didn't.  I honestly think we'll be hearing an announcement very soon from the NCHC welcoming ASU as the 9th member.

Wouldn't doubt that the Pig 10 is in the conference sweepstakes for ASU hockey. The Star and Sickled insinuated as much.

ASU isn't AAU, so they don't meet the Pig 10's academic standards. But the Pig 10's real standard is money. The Pac12 and the Big10 consider themselves brother conferences, so the Big10 could come up with a scheme to incubate new Pac12 teams.

No proof or link to substantiate the claim, but I had wondered myself if the B10 would be interested in ASU.

o

No proof of link to substantiate the claim, but I had wondered myself if the B10 would be interested in ASU.

There's an article and blog on why the Big 10 could be a home.  I've reached the limit on articles I can access to the Star and Sickle, and I'm not going to pay them to access it.

I had a feeling this might be the case.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Big Ten made ASU an affiliate for hockey and ASU chose the Big Ten over the NCHC.  I think a lot of hockey people underestimate how much big high-profile schools want to affiliate with other big high-profile schools these days.  Sport specific considerations that seem logical to fans don't always translate to conference realignment decisions.  I doubt that hockey tradition, travel budget, or even their chance to consistently make the playoffs, will mean a great deal to to ASU when they are choosing a conference.  ASU will care more about affiliating with schools that have a better academic pedigree, schools that will be "big names" to their potential customers, schools the PAC-12 Network will be most interested in, and (above all else) schools that will make them the most money.  If the Big Ten wants ASU, I think they will get ASU.  The only sticking point might be whether the Big Ten and Pac-12 Networks can work together on hockey coverage.  I don't know enough about their specific TV deals to comment on that.

I don't think the fact that the Big Ten didn't pursue Notre Dame as an affiliate means much in this situation.  The Big Ten-Notre Dame relationship has some history with the Big Ten wanting Notre Dame in all sports, and Notre Dame being not interested in the Big Ten for football.  I can see why the Big Ten wouldn't want to reward Notre Dame for turning them down and giving them exactly what they want (non-football affiliate membership).  But ASU and the Big Ten have no such history and I think the Big Ten might very well be interested.  

That statement by the ad that's been brought up....."opportunity for student athletes"

Does he think his current student athletes will be able to be competitive in one of the top d1 conferences?

Most of the current players will be gone before they join any conference.  They don't plan to be in a conference until 2017-2018, that will be the senior year for the current freshmen.  They will recruit student athletes that they hope can be competitive in whatever conference they end up joining.

According to the Star Tribune "The Gophers hockey Twitter account welcomed the Sun Devils after their announcement. The Big Ten retweeted the news and then deleted the post. " .  That's intersting, why would they delete the post on Twitter? Why wouldn't the B10 want to welcome ASU?   

More hockey history? Ummm...you do know that hockey at Notre Dame has existed for just over 100 years and it has pretty much been a D1 school since 1968, right? SCSU's been around the top level since, what, 1989?

Michigan Tech had already completed a major renovation when St Cloud was promising to get one going. And don't even get me started on Western Michigan...

And when did Notre Dame finally become relevant??....what 2004??  Notre Dame is relevant in name only when it comes to hockey.  As far as hockey tradition and success, they are about at the same level as St. Cloud.

And when did Notre Dame finally become relevant??....what 2004?? Notre Dame is relevant in name only when it comes to hockey. As far as hockey tradition and success, they are about at the same level as St. Cloud.

So why was the NCHC ignoring St Cloud State until bar-close time then?

The NCHC wanted Notre Dame.  There is no doubt about that.  But the TV deal they were demanding was too lopsided towards benifiting just one school so the NCHC passed.  Was St. Cloud the second option, of course.  But it doesn't meant that they never wanted them.  I would take St. Cloud over any of the remaining WCHA or CCHA schools.

Because the nchc knew what they wanted with a tv deal and Notre dame wouldn't budge. Now look where the nchc's national tv deal has gone. If the nchc would've just made a couple exceptions or not been so pig headed with their tv deal requirement for individual schools they would probably have Notre dame and more exposure right now.

I am reading through this thread that once ASU announced we are seeing more schools openly talk about adding hockey programs (just read articles about Arizona and Buffalo).  I really think that ASU going D1 is the big break that will lead to alot more schools starting hockey programs.  That's a good thing for college hockey and it's a good thing for hockey in the U.S. in general. 

Like I posted earlier, UND is like royalty in college hockey, occupying the upper crust of the sport with schools like BC and Minny.  College hockey expansion will not hurt UND in any way, in fact it will only serve as a way to expand the schools profile and presence across more of the country.  I wish USD would get into the D1 hockey game.  College hockey is a great sport.

I am reading through this thread that once ASU announced we are seeing more schools openly talk about adding hockey programs (just read articles about Arizona and Buffalo).  I really think that ASU going D1 is the big break that will lead to alot more schools starting hockey programs.  That's a good thing for college hockey and it's a good thing for hockey in the U.S. in general. 

Like I posted earlier, UND is like royalty in college hockey, occupying the upper crust of the sport with schools like BC and Minny.  College hockey expansion will not hurt UND in any way, in fact it will only serve as a way to expand the schools profile and presence across more of the country.  I wish USD would get into the D1 hockey game.  College hockey is a great sport.

I agree with you on a couple points here. UND will be just fine and it would be great to see a school like USD step up and differentiate themselves by adding hockey.