SiouxSports.com Forum

Arizona State D1 Hockey

IrishSiouxFan

Listening to the announcement, I think it's very likely more Pac 12 teams add hockey. ASU's AD straight up said that the Pac12 conference has been trying to get schools to start up hockey teams for awhile and that they were very excited ASU was the first to take that step. Let's Play Hockey tweeted that Arizona, Oregon State, USC, UCLA and Stanford have all shown interest in starting D1 hockey teams. Oregon would probably have to be thrown into that talk just because we all know they have the donor in Phil Knight. 

I wouldn't get too excited about adding ASU to the NCHC because I'm pretty sure it'll only be temporary. They wouldn't add a hockey team to become the UAH of the west. I think it's very likely that a Pac 12 hockey conference is in the near future.

Showing interest and actually adding a team are two different things and since hockey is still a niche sport and I would tend to believe that the other Pac12 schools would like to see how ASU does first. 

• Upvote 1

There's already been 5 other Pac 12 schools exploring it. 6 if you add in Oregon, which obviously can add a team at whatever time Phil Knight feels like it.

I think it will happen, it really just depends how fast it actually does.

I agree with you that it will happen, I just don't think it will happen as fast as some people speculate.

I'd be fine with ASU joining the NCHC, even if it was temporary.  It's going to take many years (decade?) before there would be enough PAC12 teams to start a D1 hockey program.  You need plenty of infrastructure + millions in donations to make the jump to D1...and that's assuming that they already have a hockey program to begin with.

^ Exactly. It took a while to form the BTHC and they only had to wait for one more program to add D1 hockey! Yes it'll most likely be inevitable but unless five other PAC12 schools have big time donors that want D1 hockey, a PAC12 hockey conference ain't gonna happen for a while.

This is the first domino.   It's all about programming for the conference TV networks.  BIG schools will be next to add more teams with Nebraska being the first one and Illinois, Northwestern, and Iowa being the next candidates. 

I wouldn't worrry about it diluting the product.  There are a lot of hockey players out there.  Frankly, there is more talent than opportunities.  If anything major NCAA college hockey expansion is going to hurt the CHL teams.

This is the first domino.   It's all about programming for the conference TV networks.  BIG schools will be next to add more teams with Nebraska being the first one and Illinois, Northwestern, and Iowa being the next candidates. 

I wouldn't worrry about it diluting the product.  There are a lot of hockey players out there.  Frankly, there is more talent than opportunities.  If anything major NCAA college hockey expansion is going to hurt the CHL teams.

Agreed. The reason this is all happening now is because the conferences have their own TV networks. More programming = more money. It's going to exponentially speed up the process of schools adding teams compared to the past, IMO. If the Pac 12 has been trying to get schools to add hockey for awhile it shows the conference really wants this to happen, and they won't stop until a conference does happen.

@chnews: If Arizona State joins NCHC ... does this open door for Bowling Green to join as 10th team to keep it even, as they originally hoped?

College Hockey News later on says BG fits the NCHC profile over Mankato

I would rather see someone like Mankato or Michigan Tech in the NCHC over Bowling Green I don't care if they fit the profile or not.

I would rather see someone like Mankato or Michigan Tech in the NCHC over Bowling Green I don't care if they fit the profile or not.

I agree.  I understand that Miami wants/needs a travel partner, but BGSU is not exactly a quality add in my opinion.  I also think that Pac-12 hockey is just around the corner and wonder how it will effect UND. Fortunately we have a strong traditional, passionate fan base, and kick a$$ facilities.  Others in the NCHC are not so fortunate.   

If the "big boys" of the college world start up hockey programs, I'd much rather have a DI school like BGSU in our league than Mankato or Tech. I don't know that Tech or MSU have the funds to keep up with the DI schools.

If the "big boys" of the college world start up hockey programs, I'd much rather have a DI school like BGSU in our league than Mankato or Tech. I don't know that Tech or MSU have the funds to keep up with the DI schools.

Schools like Tech and Mankato are what made college hockey, they will find the funds to keep hockey if it ever got to that sort of problem.

I think you gotta keep Mankato in WCHA or that conference gets to a point where it folds. I just want Western to announce their new stadium and a couple Big 12 schools to join. I'd be OK with or without BG but feel there is pressure for them to be added. Only if they they commit like Western and their $60 million new facility though. I'm not trying to lobby for BG.

Interesting that Schlossman mentioned Notre Dame in his live chat but I'm not sure I see that happening unless they want to reach more markets outside always New England or HE has had enough with them.

If the PAC12 hockey conference comes to be, would UND and Denver be admitted as affiliates?  The PAC12 is much more liberal with affiliates than the B1G. 

A Cal grad like Kelley would be creaming his pants at the opportunity to play Stanford and USC on a regular basis.  It would help UND's academic perception.

• Upvote 1

I agree. I understand that Miami wants/needs a travel partner, but BGSU is not exactly a quality add in my opinion. I also think that Pac-12 hockey is just around the corner and wonder how it will effect UND. Fortunately we have a strong traditional, passionate fan base, and kick a$$ facilities. Others in the NCHC are not so fortunate.

Yost Ice Arena is almost 100 years old and I'd take it in the NCHC any day of the week over WMU...just because it didn't cost $100 million doesn't make it a non kick-a$$ facility.

And why wouldn't Bowling Green be a good fit in the NCHC?