SiouxSports.com Forum

Arizona State D1 Hockey

IrishSiouxFan

I'd like to see another PAC 12 team add d1 hockey and see both teams join the nchc. According to their announcement Arizona state is hopeful another PAC 12 team will join them. Washington?

I'm thinking Oregon. I've heard some rumblings about that one, though nothing like ASU.

To backfill when Denver and CC bolt with AFA, UAA, UAF, and ASU to form a new league. 

Why do you think those teams bolt? ASU isn't going to go out and form a new conference, unless it's the PAC-12, and if they do it'll be a while. WIll take some time for other PAC-12 schools to get a d1 program up and running, if there is even interest.

I'm all for ASU joining NCHC, but I'd be very wary of more PAC12 teams launching because if you like being in a league with ASU, then I think they would be gone soon and possibly taking Denver and CC with them so it would be very short-lived.  Big 12 teams are the way to go.  West Virginia, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Texas should be the target NCHC teams.   Longhorn Network could be an addition to NCHC without tearing the conference up.

PAC12 Network is likely behind the ASU decision same as the Big Ten Network.  They are the guinea pig.  If they are successful than U of Arizona, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, etc are right behind them with possibly affiliate members CC and DU.  Then the NCHC would take a big hit.  If PAC12 add hockey they will also hog some TV appearance from CBSSN, ESPN, Fox, etc.. and push the NCHC further aside and dilute recruiting.

Be careful what you ask for.

To backfill when Denver and CC bolt with AFA, UAA, UAF, and ASU to form a new league. 

The idea is to give WMU and Miami another team in the east. Will help to lighten their travel load. Just speculating.

Ok, just spec. I thought someone had some rumor about it. Makes sense, though. Both points.

I'm thinking Oregon. I've heard some rumblings about that one, though nothing like ASU.

Why do you think those teams bolt? ASU isn't going to go out and form a new conference, unless it's the PAC-12, and if they do it'll be a while. WIll take some time for other PAC-12 schools to get a d1 program up and running, if there is even interest.

That's a solid guess based solely on them already having a large benefactor. Not sure if Phil Knight would be game to contribute to add hockey though. He seems more inclined to keep the football program highly competitive.

But could hurt UND also.   Are you a college hockey fan more than a UND fan?  Anyway, I'm interested in hearing more.

They would want teams in  recruiting regions.  The B1G has that.  UND has Winnipeg, NW Minn, and the Twin Cities in its backyard.   PAC12 teams want more than California hockey that produced Rocco.

Don't count out Utah, Washington, or Arizona.   All of them have rinks near their campuses. 

I like this ASU add, but I really think it ultimately tears up the conference 5 years from now and hurts North Dakota and Miami in the end via diluting recruiting and TV appearances.

I don't see it hurting UND too much if at all. ASU isn't gonna be able to come and get some kid out of Minnesota that UND is after and that is a prime recruiting area for UND. As for TV appearances UND will still be one of the most televised teams in the nation ASU isn't gonna change that.

"I applaud Arizona State University for creating new opportunities for student-athletes," Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said

ASU is creating more opportunities alright, now if the PAC-12 Commish would have left out "for student-athletes" that statement would have been much more genuine.

Hey just for fun to get a reaction that probably won't go over well, but what about Liberty?  They'd jump to D1 in a minute as they are hungry for national exposure in any sport as they want to be the next Notre Dame or BYU and have a national following and many alumni.

Their club team gets 3,000 attendance (sold out) and ESPN3 carries all their games already.

They also have their own national sports network and "Game On" which is an ESPN Sportscenter type sports highlight show.  I know its not a flashy name but might be worth a look.

Also, does BYU have a club team?  I think they could play where the ECHL Utah Grizzlies play and bring BYU TV.

Listening to the announcement, I think it's very likely more Pac 12 teams add hockey. ASU's AD straight up said that the Pac12 conference has been trying to get schools to start up hockey teams for awhile and that they were very excited ASU was the first to take that step. Let's Play Hockey tweeted that Arizona, Oregon State, USC, UCLA and Stanford have all shown interest in starting D1 hockey teams. Oregon would probably have to be thrown into that talk just because we all know they have the donor in Phil Knight. 

I wouldn't get too excited about adding ASU to the NCHC because I'm pretty sure it'll only be temporary. They wouldn't add a hockey team to become the UAH of the west. I think it's very likely that a Pac 12 hockey conference is in the near future.

BYU want nothing more than to keep up with Utah.  If Utah launches for the PAC12, then BYU could be a good add for the NCHC.

There just aren't many LDS kids playing hockey.  There's a group In southern Alberta of LDS that moved up from Utah 100 years ago, but not enough to get a quality DI team.  Maybe there's LDS kids playing hockey in California or Arizona.  The youth hockey played in Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah where lots of people are LDS is very low caliber.  Hockey just isn't a cultural part of LDS life as often the parents aren't going to travel when they have many other kids.  An LDS family gives their kids a basketball because its cheap and the kids can find their own pickup games.  Non-LDS DI caliber hockey players are just not going to enroll at BYU.  BYU passes on hockey.  Utah has a rink from the Olympics not very far from campus and Utah is a half "gentile" school.  Utah would add hockey if it eventually made money..

Liberty approached the Atlantic Hockey for admission, but were rejected because of distance is my understanding.  If Navy joins, and some other teams leave for a new CCHA, Liberty might have interest from the AH.  No way would the ECAC or Hockey East take Liberty, for much the same social reasons the Sun Belt rejected them.

I'm all for ASU joining NCHC, but I'd be very wary of more PAC12 teams launching because if you like being in a league with ASU, then I think they would be gone soon and possibly taking Denver and CC with them so it would be very short-lived.  Big 12 teams are the way to go.  West Virginia, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Texas should be the target NCHC teams.   Longhorn Network could be an addition to NCHC without tearing the conference up.

PAC12 Network is likely behind the ASU decision same as the Big Ten Network.  They are the guinea pig.  If they are successful than U of Arizona, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, etc are right behind them with possibly affiliate members CC and DU.  Then the NCHC would take a big hit.  If PAC12 add hockey they will also hog some TV appearance from CBSSN, ESPN, Fox, etc.. and push the NCHC further aside and dilute recruiting.

Be careful what you ask for.

Arizona could be the next after Arizona State to move up to D1 they have a arena now that seats 5,000+. It will be interesting to see what the other schools in Arizona State's conference (ACHA D1) do now that Arizona State is moving up.

Denver and CC are not going anywhere without UND. Colorado's hockey is sounding like they want to move up with Arizona State. I'm not sure university of Denver would like another school in the Denver area to go D1 in hockey. 

Hey just for fun to get a reaction that probably won't go over well, but what about Liberty?  They'd jump to D1 in a minute as they are hungry for national exposure in any sport as they want to be the next Notre Dame or BYU and have a national following and many alumni.

Their club team gets 3,000 attendance (sold out) and ESPN3 carries all their games already.

They also have their own national sports network and "Game On" which is an ESPN Sportscenter type sports highlight show.  I know its not a flashy name but might be worth a look.

Also, does BYU have a club team?  I think they could play where the ECHL Utah Grizzlies play and bring BYU TV.

BYU has a D3 club team that plays at the Olympic arenas in Provo.

I'd be fine with ASU joining the NCHC, even if it was temporary.  It's going to take many years (decade?) before there would be enough PAC12 teams to start a D1 hockey program.  You need plenty of infrastructure + millions in donations to make the jump to D1...and that's assuming that they already have a hockey program to begin with.

I'd be fine with ASU joining the NCHC, even if it was temporary.  It's going to take many years (decade?) before there would be enough PAC12 teams to start a D1 hockey program.  You need plenty of infrastructure + millions in donations to make the jump to D1...and that's assuming that they already have a hockey program to begin with.

There's already been 5 other Pac 12 schools exploring it. 6 if you add in Oregon, which obviously can add a team at whatever time Phil Knight feels like it.

I think it will happen, it really just depends how fast it actually does.

One of the biggest problems with ASU to the NCHC, at least IMO, is the NCHC tv deal. The Pac 12 wants to televise some ASU games and, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think they can't do that at all if ASU is in the NCHC because of the conferences TV deal. The Pac 12 Network will take priority to ASU over the NCHC. So unless the TV deal changes I think it'll be a tough get for the NCHC. If it does change, however, I do think ASU will join the NCHC until a Pac 12 Conference is doable.