SiouxSports.com Forum

Arizona State D1 Hockey

IrishSiouxFan

I would rather see someone like Mankato or Michigan Tech in the NCHC over Bowling Green I don't care if they fit the profile or not.

What "profile" is that? Is it the same one that St Cloud State didn't meet until Notre Dame decided it didn't want in on the NCHC and then suddenly DID meet?

Count me among the group of fans who want to see the WCHA survive and be relevant in the college hockey world.

I'm not sure there is a reason to add a 10th school if ASU joins the NCHC.  In that case I would set up scheduling with three pods

ASU-DU-CC

UND-UMD-SCSU

UNO-Miami-WMU

You play your own pod home and away every year. And with the other pods you play one at home, one away and one home and away.  That keeps you at a 24 game league schedule and keeps travel pretty reasonable (Certainly doesn't make things any worse for the two eastern schools).

If you add Bowling Green then I think you have to go to a Divisional setup.

West - ASU, DU, CC, UND, UNO

East - UMD, SCSU, Miami, WMU, Bowling Green

That would give you a 26 game league schedule.  OK, but not great.

Another option for a ten team league would be either a 24 or 26 game schedule with either one or two protected rivalries.

One rivalry

DU-CC

UND-UNO

Miami-Bowling Green

UMD-SCSU

WMU-ASU

Two Rivalries

ASU - UNO, CC

CC - ASU, DU

DU - UND, CC

UND - DU, UMD

UNO - ASU, SCSU

UMD - SCSU, UND

SCSU - UMD,UNO

BGSU - Miami, WMU

Miami - WMU, BGSU

WMU - BGSU, Miami

I'm not sure there is a reason to add a 10th school if ASU joins the NCHC.  In that case I would set up scheduling with three pods

ASU-DU-CC

UND-UMD-SCSU

UNO-Miami-WMU

You play your own pod home and away every year. And with the other pods you play one at home, one away and one home and away.  That keeps you at a 24 game league schedule and keeps travel pretty reasonable (Certainly doesn't make things any worse for the two eastern schools).

If you add Bowling Green then I think you have to go to a Divisional setup.

West - ASU, DU, CC, UND, UNO

East - UMD, SCSU, Miami, WMU, Bowling Green

That would give you a 26 game league schedule.  OK, but not great.

Another option for a ten team league would be either a 24 or 26 game schedule with either one or two protected rivalries.

One rivalry

DU-CC

UND-UNO

Miami-Bowling Green

UMD-SCSU

WMU-ASU

Two Rivalries

ASU - UNO, CC

CC - ASU, DU

DU - UND, CC

UND - DU, UMD

UNO - ASU, SCSU

UMD - SCSU, UND

SCSU - UMD,UNO

BGSU - Miami, WMU

Miami - WMU, BGSU

WMU - BGSU, Miami

wcha had 10 teams and it seemed like there was never a problem

What "profile" is that? Is it the same one that St Cloud State didn't meet until Notre Dame decided it didn't want in on the NCHC and then suddenly DID meet?

Count me among the group of fans who want to see the WCHA survive and be relevant in the college hockey world.

Pac 12 teams (or Big 12) is why I never wanted the 8th member.  Also why NCHC shouldn't rush on a 10th team if ASU joins.  Keep in mind that ASU has a year or two before joining.  They put this together in a short time (first report this summer?).  Another Pac 12 could easily say they are adding in the next year and ramp up the same way or just join with ASU.

I don't see where the worry comes from of the NCHC all the sudden falling apart if ASU would join and then leave.  We would be in the exact same spot we are now.  If we add a tenth team and ASU leave we would poach another team to make it 10 again.  If ASU joins and then 10 years later leaves the NCHC isn't going to become irrelevant.  CC and DU won't leave with ASU, thats nonsense.  If the PAC12 comes to fruition it will be comprised of PAC12 teams.  

In my opinion, I really don't see a downside to ASU joining.  They may or may not stay but in the meantime it gives UND more name recognition out West, more money in the bank and more leverage for negotiating better TV deals.  Plus it would almost assuredly put us in good graces going forward with the PAC12.  Thats not only good for hockey but its good for football.

As far as the PAC12 starting up a conference, I agree.  Its most definitely in the planning stages.  However, this thing isn't going to come to fruition in 2 or 3 years.  Yes, the first PAC12 team is starting up in D1 hockey.  They still have 5 more to go and it isn't as simple as schools just saying "hey, we're starting a team."  It doesn't work that way.  These other schools are going to use ASU as a case study for whether or not its feasible for them to start up a team. If/when it is determined they have a good chance they will start to get the ball rolling on raising money to start it.  Look how long ASU and Penn State were looking at starting hockey.  Its been in the works for years.  Thats just 2 schools.  Now you need 5 more.  Thats tough sledding.  I don't see the PAC12 conference starting for a minimum of 10 years and probably closer to 15 or 20.  This stuff takes a really long time to make happen.

• Upvote 1

One of the biggest problems with ASU to the NCHC, at least IMO, is the NCHC tv deal. The Pac 12 wants to televise some ASU games and, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think they can't do that at all if ASU is in the NCHC because of the conferences TV deal. The Pac 12 Network will take priority to ASU over the NCHC. So unless the TV deal changes I think it'll be a tough get for the NCHC. If it does change, however, I do think ASU will join the NCHC until a Pac 12 Conference is doable.

How many years left on CBS deal?  I liked the broadcasts last year, but why so few this year?  By the time ASU potentially joins I think the CBS deal is done.  Keep in mind CBS has relaxed the deal and now allows other games on national TV.  Which would mean PAC 12 Network could air ASU games.  How many cable affiliates get that station in Midwest anyways?  Directv still doesn't.

My issue will be if ASU thinks they are Notre Dame and demands that they are the only ones on a national TV deal.  

The Ducks have some very ugly uni's. I am surprised that Mafia Man isn't a fan of them.

I didn't see any of your jersey opinions listed in the home and away jersey threads...perhaps you're a secret admirer of the maroon and gold of Minnesota? In that case, you'll probably like what Arizona State comes up with.

As for the team's schedule, the plan is to finish the season in the ACHA (American Collegiate Hockey Association), the non-varsity league in which the Sun Devils currently play, then begin a transition to NCAA. It will play next season as a hybrid NCAA-ACHA season, competing against teams from both leagues, then begin play as an NCAA conference-independent school in 2016-17. It will then join a conference in 2017-18.

http://www.houseofsparky.com/2014/11/18/7240213/asu-hockey-sun-devils-ncaa-division-i-ray-anderson-greg-powers-acha-title-ix-arizona-state

Arizona would also have enormous advantages in recruiting with regards to the rest of the NCAA D-1 hockey landscape. As an ACHA team, the program can not offer scholarships to entice players. ASU and Arizona have both been able to lure players that had NCAA offers to the Southwest because of location and competitiveness. Imagine what would happen to the program once it is allowed to offer scholarships? The talent level takes off, and why wouldn't top-notch players look at a place like Tucson and say 'Hey, I want to live there'.

Tucson?  Geez, I can think of a ton of reasons why I wouldn't want to live in that ghetto crap-hole of a city.  :)

• Upvote 1

I got plenty of beds in Peoria if and when UND heads to the desert to play ASU. Who's with me?!?!

Couple it with a Coyotes and/or Cardinals game...throw in some Dillon's ribs...boom!

Or hope they play the weekend before the Waste Management Open. Just giddy thinking about the possibilities.

• Upvote 1

I would rather see someone like Mankato or Michigan Tech in the NCHC over Bowling Green I don't care if they fit the profile or not.

I'd much rather have Bowling Green than Mankato or Tech in the NCHC.  For me, it's not about how good the current hockey teams are as much as institutional profile and what a school can bring to the conference in terms of exposure.  Bowling Green has 17,000+ students, is a decent research university, and is a full-fledged DI school in the MAC and are peers to Miami and Western Michigan.  The only thing holding them back is that they have't made a decision to properly invest in their hockey program. If Bowling Green decides to actually invest in hockey, they would make a good addition to the NCHC.   With 3 of the 8 schools in the NCHC already non-DI,I don't think the NCHC should be looking at non-DI schools right now.  

• Upvote 1

I'd much rather have Bowling Green than Mankato or Tech in the NCHC.  For me, it's not about how good the current hockey teams are as much as institutional profile and what a school can bring to the conference in terms of exposure.  Bowling Green has 17,000+ students, is a decent research university, and is a full-fledged DI school in the MAC and are peers to Miami and Western Michigan.  The only thing holding them back is that they have't made a decision to properly invest in their hockey program. If Bowling Green decides to actually invest in hockey, they would make a good addition to the NCHC.   With 3 of the 8 schools in the NCHC already non-DI,I don't think the NCHC should be looking at non-DI schools right now.  

I don't care at all about whether they are full D1 or not or what kind of university they are all I look at is what they are going to add as a hockey program to the conference and I see schools like Ferris State, Mankato, or Michigan Tech adding a lot more however those are 3 of the strongest teams in the WCHA and I would still like to see the WCHA have some successful teams as well so I definitely wouldn't be in favor of adding more than 1 of those teams.