SiouxSports.com Forum

Arizona State D1 Hockey

IrishSiouxFan

The Ralph is great and all but what percentage of Canadian recruits grew up knowing about the Sioux and dreamt of playing for und? Sure it can wow some recruits but if I were a recruit on a scouting visit my observation of game time atmosphere would play a big role in my decision. The Ralph lacks this in most games big time. Go to a game or two in st cloud this weekend. At least und and the husky fans bring an atmosphere in clown town.

I agree there are few current teams that carry und's stature and tradition in college hockey today. But take a review of the past 14 national champions and tell me which of these teams will consistently win the big one due to their stature.

I drew the Ralph as a comparison to a star recruit who would be choosing between NDSU & UND; to further illustrate how difficult they would have it in bringing in 5-start recruits over UND.

It sounds to me like you're minimalizing the effects the REA has on where recruits sign. I've read more than one Sioux player who signed with us because the facilities were first-rate. So it does play a role, & I guess it just depends on what these blue-chippers consider important.

I consider the last 14 years an anomaly why the Sioux haven't won a nc. What else would explain this drought? :) 

Without responding to specific posts, in a seven year window, I believe:

UND could compete with NDSU in football.

NDSU could compete with UND in hockey.

ASU could compete with UND in hockey.

The barriers to competitiveness are very low in hockey, as the USHL is filled with guys who could turn into very good 24 year old college players.  Specifically, NDSU could tap MN high school hockey, and it would be the second closest program to the Central/Western Canadian prairies.  Would they win recruiting battles with UND/MN?  No.  To win, do they have to?  No.  See SCSU, UMD, MSUM. 

ASU can appeal to Western U.S. kids, kids who want the big-name school experience, and smart kids who want to escape these God-forsaken winters, where, to quote a movie I can't recall, every boob is covered by two shirts and a sweater.

Another member of the $100 million arena cult...yea, that's a sure-fire guarantee of success, isn't it?

Arizona State shouldn't even bother trying until they can spend $150 million and top REA.

You sound like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing, plus throwing in references that people who think a facility makes a big difference are cultish. Do I have to put on a flame-retardant suit every time I discuss an issue with you?

Of course having a first-rate facility makes a big difference. I didn't infer that a program couldn't start-up a D1 program without forking out $100 million +;  I said that it makes a big difference in attracting big-time recruits.

Go Sioux..

You sound like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing, plus throwing in references that people who think a facility makes a big difference are cultish. Do I have to put on a flame-retardant suit every time I discuss an issue with you?

Of course having a first-rate facility makes a big difference. I didn't infer that a program couldn't start-up a D1 program without forking out $100 million +; I said that it makes a big difference in attracting big-time recruits.

Go Sioux..

Maybe it's just me but I sense some arrogance in some of your statements regarding und's hockey team, recruits, and facilities. See Jk's post above. The reality is that there have been plenty of college hockey programs that have had more success winning big games since the Ralph was built. I'd love to see that begin to change this season myself.

• Upvote 1

All this talk about NDSU adding hockey is silly.  Ever since NDSU went Division I, their athletic department has tried to separate itself from UND.  There is absolutely no chance NDSU will add hockey  - a sport where it would always be second fiddle to UND.  If they ever have the resources to make that kind of splash, they would use those resources to move their football team to FBS long before they would add varsity hockey.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's just me but I sense some arrogance in some of your statements regarding und's hockey team, recruits, and facilities. See Jk's post above. The reality is that there have been plenty of college hockey programs that have had more success winning big games since the Ralph was built. I'd love to see that begin to change this season myself.

I agree that jk makes some very good points. Well thought-out points.

I've been a Sioux hockey fan since 1972 so I have a lot of emotional investment in this team. I don't wish or hope anything for this team, those are verbs better left for less-established teams & their fans.  ;)  I'll always be bragging this team up because I'm a homer to the core, just like true fans of other schools who've been following their teams for decades also.

But how does stating that the REA is the end-all, be-all of college hockey arenas being arrogant? They do have the best rink, no questions asked, right?

I agree that jk makes some very good points. Well thought-out points.

I've been a Sioux hockey fan since 1972 so I have a lot of emotional investment in this team. I don't wish or hope anything for this team, those are verbs better left for less-established teams & their fans. ;) I'll always be bragging this team up because I'm a homer to the core, just like true fans of other schools who've been following their teams for decades also.

But how does stating that the REA is the end-all, be-all of college hockey arenas being arrogant? They do have the best rink, no questions asked, right?

The Ralph probably is the top facility in all of college hockey. It has an amazing training facility for the athletes. It draws more fans than any other college hockey arena nationwide. I does draw recruits.

On the other hand it greatly lacks the atmosphere you will find at a number of other smaller college hockey arenas nationwide. It has more of a professional feel to it which I'm not fond of myself. Und has great fans. They travel well and it would be amazing to be in St. Cloud this weekend to be a part of it.

The Ralph and und's stature/tradition does give our school an advantage over others. Und has a very high paid coaching staff as well. Add all this up though and und still hasn't been able to win the most important games since the Ralph was built. Yet other teams with much less invested into their programs have.

• Upvote 1

The Ralph probably is the top facility in all of college hockey. It has an amazing training facility for the athletes. It draws more fans than any other college hockey arena nationwide. I does draw recruits.

On the other hand it greatly lacks the atmosphere you will find at a number of other smaller college hockey arenas nationwide. It has more of a professional feel to it which I'm not fond of myself. Und has great fans. They travel well and it would be amazing to be in St. Cloud this weekend to be a part of it.

The Ralph and und's stature/tradition does give our school an advantage over others. Und has a very high paid coaching staff as well. Add all this up though and und still hasn't been able to win the most important games since the Ralph was built. Yet other teams with much less invested into their programs have.

My argument flatlines when the question of how many NCs has the Ralph brought us. It hasn't & it's frustrating. 

I think the Ralph has helped draw great recruits for Coach Hakstol over the last 12 years; & subsequently field dominant teams during the regular season. But for some reason they can't succeed in the one-&-done playoff scenario. I'm not on the inside of the program so I haven't a clue as to why they're always short in April. It makes for lively conversation during Happy Hour, but I don't think there's one tangible reason they don't win it all aside from horrendously bad luck.

So now they've found a way to infuse FU into hockey conversations - FU decision makers are not interested in adding hockey, they had the chance, they passed. Can't we try and keep the hockey threads an FU-free zone?

I have never understood the reason for bashing Saint Cloud - we don't like it when the rodent fans look down their nose at us, why do so many insist on doing it to Saint Cloud. Having been to several games there (always when the Sioux are in town) they have a nice arena, recently remodeled which shows support, a great student section that is always full and have invested in coaches which has resulted in strong recruiting and a run of great teams. Plus their booster club is very welcoming to UND fans at their social every year - it's a competitive rivalry and an easy road trip. What's not to like?

Off the top of my head, I can think of three things not to like about SCSU:

• Their early, vocal role in trying to get rid of "Fighting Sioux"
  • Erin Marvin's hit on Chay Genoway -  very possibly the cheapest hit I've ever seen
  • Motzko's recruiting and/or coaching up of divers.
  • Upvote 1

Sure it can wow some recruits but if I were a recruit on a scouting visit my observation of game time atmosphere would play a big role in my decision. The Ralph lacks this in most games big time. Go to a game or two in st cloud this weekend. At least und and the husky fans bring an atmosphere in clown town.

You say "go to a game or two this weekend".

Have you ever been to an SCSU game other than when the Sioux are there? It's not all that impressive. It's quite naive to come to the conclusion that SCSU has overall great atmosphere on their big weekend with the Sioux in town. It must be like this all the time, right?

You ever been to Magness Arena when the Sioux are in town? You ever been to Magness Arena when the Sioux aren't in town? You ever been to Mariucci Arena when the Sioux are in town? You ever been to Mariucci Arena when the Sioux aren't in town? You ever been to the Kohl Center when the Sioux are in town? You ever been to the Kohl Center when the Sioux aren't in town? You could make your comparison with just about every team in the country. These arena's are dead when any team, other than the Sioux, is in town.

Overall, The Ralph's atmosphere is better than any other arena in the country. You just need to get out and make apples to apples comparisons.

• Upvote 2

Have you ever been to an SCSU game other than when the Sioux are there? It's not all that impressive. It's quite naive to come to the conclusion that SCSU has overall great atmosphere on their big weekend with the Sioux in town. It must be like this all the time, right?

You ever been to Magness Arena when the Sioux are in town? You ever been to Magness Arena when the Sioux aren't in town? You ever been to Mariucci Arena when the Sioux are in town? You ever been to Mariucci Arena when the Sioux aren't in town? You ever been to the Kohl Center when the Sioux are in town? You ever been to the Kohl Center when the Sioux aren't in town? You could make your comparison with just about every team in the country. These arena's are dead when any team, other than the Sioux, is in town.

Overall, The Ralph's atmosphere is better than any other arena in the country. You just need to get out and make apples to apples comparisons.

Better than the atmosphere at Wisconsin?

Have you ever been to an SCSU game other than when the Sioux are there? It's not all that impressive. It's quite naive to come to the conclusion that SCSU has overall great atmosphere on their big weekend with the Sioux in town. It must be like this all the time, right?

I have not been to those arenas when the Sioux weren't in town. I see what you are saying but I have been to a number of other college hockey games not involving the Sioux as well as a few whl games. All arenas were louder than most of the games I've been to at the Ralph. I've also seen the Ralph rocking on a number of occasions.

With that said, the fan's decibels will be higher this weekend in St. Cloud than they will be in February when St. Cloud plays at the Ralph. That sounds apples to apples to me. You can stand up during a big play in St. Cloud without being yelled at to sit down. You can cheer in St. Cloud without fans looking at you like you are a crazy at the Ralph. Better atmosphere even without the alcohol in St. Cloud. Just my opinion;)

I have not been to those arenas when the Sioux weren't in town. I see what you are saying but I have been to a number of other college hockey games not involving the Sioux as well as a few whl games. All arenas were louder than most of the games I've been to at the Ralph. I've also seen the Ralph rocking on a number of occasions.

St. Cloud never sells out unless the gophers or sioux are in town. It Just isn't a hockey city. What are the other colleges you've been to?

Wow very jealous. I'm sure asu will be added to the list shortly eh?!

Maybe I've only been to az once and it was a quick trip to see Hoover dam during a Vegas trip. Out of the few college hockey venues I've visited my two favorite were bemidji's old arena during a Sioux game and Cornell's rink. Was at both Sioux games in Ithaca and have been to a couple non Sioux games there too. Very neat and loud little rink.

With that said, the fan's decibels will be higher this weekend in St. Cloud than they will be in February when St. Cloud plays at the Ralph. That sounds apples to apples to me.

No, it's not apples to apples.  You're saying that SCSU is as big of a draw at The Ralph as the Sioux are in St. Cloud?  Not even close.

Why is Mariucci Arena packed and buzzing when the Sioux are in town?  Why was it half empty and like a morgue last weekend?

SCSU's next home games are on January 2nd and 3rd.  Go to those games and then report back on the great atmosphere at the Brooks Center.

What is your impression of maine's barn? It has always been one of my favorites, but I haven't had the opportunity to watch a game there yet.

Very unique architecture. I thought the alfond was ugly from the outside but when you step foot inside it makes sense. I liked the placement of the student section in the 2nd level and every seat seemed very close to the action. Very tuned in fans and just being there made me feel like I was in the middle of the action on the ice. If I'm back out near Orono during a game I'd go in a heartbeat.

Maine, quinnipiac, Cornell, rit, bemidji, St. Cloud, Duluth, Harvard, mn, Mankato, Denver, and of course und.

Great hockey at a lot of those schools. Yost Ice Arena is near the top of my list of places to watch a game. I also enjoyed the original Mariucci Arena. Very intimidating buildings. I just can't picture Arizona State drawing well in downtown Phoenix.

No, it's not apples to apples. You're saying that SCSU is as big of a draw at The Ralph as the Sioux are in St. Cloud? Not even close.

Why is Mariucci Arena packed and buzzing when the Sioux are in town? Why was it half empty and like a morgue last weekend?

SCSU's next home games are on January 2nd and 3rd. Go to those games and then report back on the great atmosphere at the Brooks Center.

Ok so the Sioux are a bigger draw in St. Cloud than St. Cloud is in grand forks. I guess it's practically impossible to compare what rinks have the best atmosphere but from my experience the atmosphere at the Ralph generally is lacking. Don't get me wrong out of all the games I've been to(I'm sure many on here have been to more than myself) I've seen the Ralph rock pretty hard. Sioux gopher games, world junior championship, the west regional, and a Denver game maybe 6 years ago. I know there's been more at the Ralph but generally the place has more of a social NHL type atmosphere pretty comparable to the leafs games I've been to. I just prefer the smaller and cozier college venues.

Ok so the Sioux are a bigger draw in St. Cloud than St. Cloud is in grand forks. I guess it's practically impossible to compare what rinks have the best atmosphere but from my experience the atmosphere at the Ralph generally is lacking. Don't get me wrong out of all the games I've been to(I'm sure many on here have been to more than myself) I've seen the Ralph rock pretty hard. Sioux gopher games, world junior championship, the west regional, and a Denver game maybe 6 years ago. I know there's been more at the Ralph but generally the place has more of a social NHL type atmosphere pretty comparable to the leafs games I've been to. I just prefer the smaller and cozier college venues.

I respect your opinion of liking smaller rinks but I couldn't disagree more and I think it was either Mike Eaves or Rico Blasi that said(paraphrasing) 'if you can play a game at The Ralph, you can play in the national championship'.  To me that says REA is one of the toughest buildings to play in throughout the country. 12k fans no matter who is in town.  Only us and Wisconsin(when they were good) can say that night in and night out.

That's all the validation I need as opposing coaches have no reason to lie.