SiouxSports.com Forum

Arizona State D1 Hockey

IrishSiouxFan

Could the NCHC pull in both Arizona schools? 

Would we want to?

I think it's great ASU is adding hockey, and I hope others follow.  However, I'm not sold on the idea of adding ASU into the NCHC, especially if it means adding additional teams (we all know how they love an even number).

ASU will go to the NCHC, WCHA or even the BTHC only until other schools out west add hockey.  Then you are right back into the situation we faced a couple of years ago when MN and Wisconsin bailed.

If you can tell me only ASU and U of A will add hockey, and they will be members of the NCHC for the next 50+ years, great, bring them in. 

If the PAC12 hockey conference comes to be, would UND and Denver be admitted as affiliates?  The PAC12 is much more liberal with affiliates than the B1G. 

A Cal grad like Kelley would be creaming his pants at the opportunity to play Stanford and USC on a regular basis.  It would help UND's academic perception.

Just curious, I honestly can't think of it, what teams has the Pac 12 added for affiliates?

How many years left on CBS deal?  I liked the broadcasts last year, but why so few this year?  By the time ASU potentially joins I think the CBS deal is done.  Keep in mind CBS has relaxed the deal and now allows other games on national TV.  Which would mean PAC 12 Network could air ASU games.  How many cable affiliates get that station in Midwest anyways?  Directv still doesn't.

My issue will be if ASU thinks they are Notre Dame and demands that they are the only ones on a national TV deal.  

I don't think ASU will want a deal like Notre Dame. As long as Pac 12 Network can air games, then ASU is a possibility, IMO.

Why Arizona needs to go DI according to that: ASU WENT DI AND WE CAN'T FALL BEHIND THEM!!  :lol:

That's why rivalries are fun. 

Just curious, I honestly can't think of it, what teams has the Pac 12 added for affiliates?

The PAC12 almost goes about collecting sports to sponsor.  Its incredible how many sports Stanford or UCLA sponsor.  In wrestling, they have Boise St and Fresno St as affiliates.  In men's soccer, San Diego St.  In Field Hockey. they team with America East schools.  In M/W water polo, a bunch of Big West and West Coast school.  They are many more.

http://pac-12.com/sport/mens-soccer/standings

Where would Buffalo go if they started hockey?  The ECAC is full.  Atlantic Hockey would probably be beneath them.  The WCHA is a possibility, but BGSU and Buffalo want to be with similar schools.  With western AHA schools and Ferris St, they could easily break away and form their own bus league. 

What league would Simon Fraser go to?  The WCHA would want them to have an Alaska division.  But the NCHC would likely want them too because of Canadian cable TV and recruiting. 

Where would Rhode Island go?  The AHA has a slot, but the Rams would want to be in Hockey East with all the other New England flagships.  If URI starts hockey, it would be an easy excuse for Notre Dame to go west with the NCHC.

The most natural NCHC expansion schools might be Iowa State, Oklahoma, and Texas.  Notre Dame would like to tango with that trio.

Their could be a lot of moving pieces.   We just don't know who is serious.

I don't think the Big 10 is interested in ASU. #1 they're not an AAU member as you mentioned. #2 They're are a geographical outlier with substantial travel costs. #3 They won't generate that much additional interest for their fan bases. #4 They want to reserve those spots for future Big 10 schools to make the jump.  Seriously, if they were to make a play for any school during the conference shuffle it would have been Notre Dame and they clearly didn't.  I honestly think we'll be hearing an announcement very soon from the NCHC welcoming ASU as the 9th member.

The B1G will have no reason to reserve spots for future B1G teams. There's not going to be that many teams from the B1G adding in the near future that it would give them too many teams. They didn't make a play for Notre Dame because they've made it very clear that Notre Dame has to join the conference in all sports or none at all. They want Notre Dame for football and they aren't going to let them in any other sport unless they get it. Honestly, I'm not sure why Notre Dame didn't do it...If I recall correctly, every B1G school makes almost double the money from BTN compared to what Notre Dame gets for its NBC contract, so eventually I do think Notre Dame will have to give in.

The B1G would probably like to have ASU as an affiliate (espeically if it's only temporary), because they need more teams in their hockey conference right now. What better way for them to do that than adding another nationally recognized university for their programming and spreading the B1G brand name to Arizona. In all honesty, it would probably be far better for ASU as well, because people down there will be FAR more familiar with B1G teams and in return be more likely to go watch their school play games against those opponents. 

In the end I really don't think it'll happen, but if it did I wouldn't be one bit surprised. Money talks, but at the same time the B1G has been adamant in only accepting AAU members. I do expect ASU ending up in the NCHC or WCHA. It would be nice for UAH to have another southern team to play against haha.

I'm sure that if there is potentially another Pac-12 school seriously thinking about following suit (U. of Arizona) the NCHC most likely has the inside track and has most likely reached out to them.  BGSU isn't a terrible school, I just think there might be better options out there for our conference that might be on the horizon.  ASU is the canary in the mine, I think a lot of other Pac-12 schools are going to wait and see how it pans out and even then will probably wait a while to invest in D1 hockey.  I think adding ASU is greta for UND as it will help foster a relationship between our two athletic departments and maybe a hockey rivalry might develop into a basketball, volleyball, football rivalry, etc.. down the road.  Their fans seem excited about the prospect of playing the Sioux at home.  Not to mention the additional NCHC tv subscribers. 

Are you sure you want that?  :D

Would anyone want that though? They would probably take us denver and maybe cc. But then it'd be a bunch of west coast schools with a lot of money and no tradition. We'd get national exposure and big money but would it be the best thing for our fans and players?

If it makes more money and more publicity. there is no telling what the pinheads in Twamley decide.  Generally, we want conference affiliation to give media exposure in the Twin Cities, Denver, and Phoenix, as that is where large alumni numbers are located.  The Big Sky gives two out of three.  The NCHC gives two out of three.  PAC12 hockey would give two out of three.

Would the big ten add Aizona State and UND?

Might be a possibility if they add ASU.

As of right now, no for UND. ASU = National brand = Money. UND doesn't have the national brand power the B1G wants. The brand power of ASU and expanding BTN to Arizona would be the only reason the B1G forgets about AAU membership. But like I said, I don't see it happening.

If it makes more money and more publicity. there is no telling what the pinheads in Twamley decide.  Generally, we want conference affiliation to give media exposure in the Twin Cities, Denver, and Phoenix, as that is where large alumni numbers are located.  The Big Sky gives two out of three.  The NCHC gives two out of three.  PAC12 hockey would give two out of three.

Adding ASU to the NCHC = 3 out of 3. I really do think that'll happen. Their coach knows college hockey and probably knows the NCHC is a great fit until a Pac 12 conference starts up. My guess is they'll do that and just try to schedule a lot of non-conference matchups with B1G schools

As of right now, no for UND. ASU = National brand = Money. UND doesn't have the national brand power the B1G wants. The brand power of ASU and expanding BTN to Arizona would be the only reason the B1G forgets about AAU membership. But like I said, I don't see it happening.

You never know. The Big Ten makes up excuses as it sees fit. No affiliate members. Ok only AAU affiliate members even if you are a D3 school. If they add ASU it'll be ok you don't have to be AAU, just a "National Brand." Then they could say UND is a national hockey brand with the nations largest attendance and one with a rich hockey tradition including the second most national championships and long established hockey rivalries with Big Ten schools.

Did Big Ten delete an innocent post on twitter because they think they might be "giving away the secret"?

If the B1G was going to add school as affiliates, these 4 come to mind UND, Denver, BC, BU these 4 are in the top half on college hockey year in year out. Right now the B1G is relying on Minnesota to make the conference look good in hockey, because 2 of the big boys in the B1G are not carrying their weight (Michigan and Wisconsin).

You never know. The Big Ten makes up excuses as it sees fit. No affiliate members. Ok only AAU affiliate members even if you are a D3 school. If they add ASU it'll be ok you don't have to be AAU, just a "National Brand." Then they could say UND is a national hockey brand with the nations largest attendance and one with a rich hockey tradition including the second most national championships and long established hockey rivalries with Big Ten schools.

Did Big Ten delete an innocent post on twitter because they think they might be "giving away the secret"?

The conference takes great pride in its academic integrity, surprisingly considering the state of college athletics where academics seem to mean nothing at all *Cough* SEC *Cough*. That's why they only take AAU member schools. That's also why it would be a huge surprise if they added ASU. I'd assume they undid the retweet because it was welcoming ASU, a Pac 12 school. There's not much of a reason for the Big Ten to welcome a Pac 12 school, if anything it probably received a ton of backlash from B1G fans since most of them are football and basketball fans.

If the B1G was going to add school as affiliates, these 4 come to mind UND, Denver, BC, BU these 4 are in the top half on college hockey year in year out. Right now the B1G is relying on Minnesota to make the conference look good in hockey, because 2 of the big boys in the B1G are not carrying their weight (Michigan and Wisconsin).

I could easily see the B1G wanting BU, as they are an AAU member and aren't in a rival conference for other sports. Another one I'd seriously look at is U of Buffalo. If Terry Pegula really is looking at bringing them up I'd put good money on them joining the B1G conference as an affiliate since they're also an AAU member.

the nchc needs to stay as far away from asu as possible.  admitting them into the conference would go against everything this conference was created for.  like minded schools who put hockey near the top of their priorities.  at asu hockey would rank up there with underwater basket weaving.  after all we all know how well the coyotes have done in the desert.

the nchc needs to stay as far away from asu as possible. admitting them into the conference would go against everything this conference was created for. like minded schools who put hockey near the top of their priorities. at asu hockey would rank up there with underwater basket weaving. after all we all know how well the coyotes have done in the desert.

Can you imagine the Sun Devils playing in downtown Phoenix at US Airways Arena? No way they fill that place.

The B1G will have no reason to reserve spots for future B1G teams. There's not going to be that many teams from the B1G adding in the near future that it would give them too many teams. They didn't make a play for Notre Dame because they've made it very clear that Notre Dame has to join the conference in all sports or none at all. They want Notre Dame for football and they aren't going to let them in any other sport unless they get it. Honestly, I'm not sure why Notre Dame didn't do it...If I recall correctly, every B1G school makes almost double the money from BTN compared to what Notre Dame gets for its NBC contract, so eventually I do think Notre Dame will have to give in.

The B1G would probably like to have ASU as an affiliate (espeically if it's only temporary), because they need more teams in their hockey conference right now. What better way for them to do that than adding another nationally recognized university for their programming and spreading the B1G brand name to Arizona. In all honesty, it would probably be far better for ASU as well, because people down there will be FAR more familiar with B1G teams and in return be more likely to go watch their school play games against those opponents.

In the end I really don't think it'll happen, but if it did I wouldn't be one bit surprised. Money talks, but at the same time the B1G has been adamant in only accepting AAU members. I do expect ASU ending up in the NCHC or WCHA. It would be nice for UAH to have another southern team to play against haha.

Are you sure you want that? :D

ND will never join the big ten. A certain gentleman from Michigan who happens to be a god in that state alienated Notre Dame. Lots of institutional bad blood between Notre Dame and one of the two most prominent members.... Look how the Irish handled cutting that certain member off the football schedule to see a very small example of said bad blood.

Plus the conference would never let ND keep the TV deal. B1G is a joke. Any conference who gets Notre Dame gets millions of extra viewers who suddenly care about the conference.

Go Irish!

ND will never join the big ten. A certain gentleman from Michigan who happens to be a god in that state alienated Notre Dame. Lots of institutional bad blood between Notre Dame and one of the two most prominent members.... Look how the Irish handled cutting that certain member off the football schedule to see a very small example of said bad blood.

Plus the conference would never let ND keep the TV deal. B1G is a joke. Any conference who gets Notre Dame gets millions of extra viewers who suddenly care about the conference.

Go Irish!

Any conference who gets Notre Dame gets a team and a school that only cares about itself. I hope Hockey East is enjoying the new Fighting Irish Hockey Network, formerly known as NBCSN.
  • Upvote 2