SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at SUU

geaux_sioux

Remember with our offense this year we don't have much margin for error.  Just one fumble, interception, penalty or bad snap could cost a score and possibly the margin for victory.  3 road games left and 2 home games.  All are possible wins with our defense.  One at a time and remain hungry.  Just get our first road win.

I agree, and this is a good reason to start Bartles, not that that is gonna happen.

• Upvote 1

2-deep changes after the bye week from PSU game:

Stockwell replaces Cox as #2 at LT

Henson now listed as #2 Center, replacing Francis (Henson still starting RG)

Walker listed as #2 at the WR-X, replacing injured McGill

Young listed as #2 at the WR-Z replacing Seibel

Seibel listed as the #1 at WR-B and Ivery listed as #2 replacing McGill/Walker from last week

Seibel listed as #2 PR replacing McGill

Walker moves up to the #1 KR from #2, replacing McGill with Tillman moving into the #2 spot.

No changes on the Defensive side of the ball.

Seibel listed as the #1 at WR-B and Ivery listed as #2 replacing McGill/Walker from last week

Walker moves up to the #1 KR from #2, replacing McGill with Tillman moving into the #2 spot.

Glad to see Stockwell back to health.  Hoping he gets some minutes in the last half of the season. 

I'm guessing we have reached the point where the coaching staff has realized pulling Francis' redshirt is not worth it.  Hoping he has a good offseason and works into the rotation next year.

Young is going to get his shot to again show he is a legitimate WR for us.  Hoping he has a good last half of the season. 

• Upvote 1

Did Ivery play at all against PSU? I never saw him out there. I was wondering whether he was still on the team.

Did Ivery play at all against PSU? I never saw him out there. I was wondering whether he was still on the team.

He's listed in the participation report and it appears he had at least one target (2nd quarter).  Don't recall seeing much of him either though.

I just logged in to say that that is the most pathetic message board I've ever looked at, and I've seen a few. New threads started in 2012 on the first page? And they're trying to get those on page 2 by starting threads about kitchen designs.

Definitely noticing some changes going on up there with your football program. Curious to see if that can translate into a road win this weekend. Any of you making the trip out there?

and if he goes and throws 4 picks then people will crow why did you start Bartles!

Its damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I have not yet seen Bartles throw a sideline pass into quadruple coverage for a pick 6 interception. The same cannot be said for Mole.

• Upvote 2

About the game - Southern Utah, last 3 games has passing yards of 402, 434, and 528 in the most recent loss.  UND only had 503 total yards in its last 2 games combined (Griz and Portland St.) to add some perspective.  Point being, Southern Utah might not even bother with running the ball, I wouldn't if I were them.  We really need our offense to chew up the clock and yards, and capitalize with TD's on drives.  If we lay an egg offensively we'll be in trouble.  Definitely an interesting matchup with their passing yards and if we are susceptible on defense, it's the passing defense.  I think the whole secondary is due for some picks.

note to Schmitty:  watch #6 out of the backfield on wheel route, don't get caught in man-to-man with LB

About the game - Southern Utah, last 3 games has passing yards of 402, 434, and 528 in the most recent loss.  UND only had 503 total yards in its last 2 games combined (Griz and Portland St.) to add some perspective.  Point being, Southern Utah might not even bother with running the ball, I wouldn't if I were them.  We really need our offense to chew up the clock and yards, and capitalize with TD's on drives.  If we lay an egg offensively we'll be in trouble.  Definitely an interesting matchup with their passing yards and if we are susceptible on defense, it's the passing defense.  I think the whole secondary is due for some picks.

note to Schmitty:  watch #6 out of the backfield on wheel route, don't get caught in man-to-man with LB

Agreed.  Most of the Big Sky has pass heavy offenses.  That is why we need to be different.  Being a run first, clock chewing, solid defensively team is not only important for this week, but for every week moving forward.  Have done a great job transitioning to this type of a team this year.  The 3rd quarter of the Portland State game is what I want the identity of this team to be like moving forward. Most will agree.

I posted these numbers before, but I think they bear repeating-- in the nine quarters he's played in Big Sky games this year, Mollberg is 44-69 for 479 yards, with 1 td, a 2-point conversion, 1 pick and 1 lost fumble. While it would be nice if the touchdown numbers were better, continuing with a 63.7% completion percentage and better than 200 passing yards per game would likely be good enough for UND to win several more games, so long as the turnovers are no more than about one per game (as they have been during Big Sky play).

The offense as a whole was bad during non-conference play. And given the overall talent level and injury problems, the ceiling probably isn't very high for this group. But progress is being made. And Mollberg's play of late has been a part of that progress. 

• Upvote 1

I posted these numbers before, but I think they bear repeating-- in the nine quarters he's played in Big Sky games this year, Mollberg is 44-69 for 479 yards, with 1 td, a 2-point conversion, 1 pick and 1 lost fumble. While it would be nice if the touchdown numbers were better, continuing with a 63.7% completion percentage and better than 200 passing yards per game would be good enough for UND to win several more games, so long as the turnovers are no more than about one per game.

The offense as a whole was bad during non-conference play. And given the overall talent level and injury problems, the ceiling probably isn't very high for this group. But progress is being made. And Mollberg's play of late has been a part of that progress. 

Now that the hardest part of the schedule is over, let's play Bartels!  Boy, that sounds fair to Mollberg.  

You can try to be a "clock chewing, run defense" first team all you want, but in reality UND is not one. They have virtually zero run game.

I think for the most part if a defense wants to shut down our run game, they will, cause we don't have the horses to force it down anyone's throat.  Like an old CEO told me, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't shove his head in it."  That said, I think Rudolph has accepted this to a point and starting taking more yards via the pass.  Opening up the passing game may open up the run game......we'll see.  I'd like to think we could run or pass on Southern Utah cause they haven't stopped either.

If I said that some of your fans would freak out and whine and call me a troll.  Be Careful

You must have missed the posting of the definition of a troll. Pretty sure Cratter has never said he was an FU fan, pretty sure when he posts it's not to degrade UND, pretty sure he roots for UND, shows up for games and cheers FOR UND. A troll is a troll.

I think for the most part if a defense wants to shut down our run game, they will, cause we don't have the horses to force it down anyone's throat.  Like an old CEO told me, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't shove his head in it."  That said, I think Rudolph has accepted this to a point and starting taking more yards via the pass.  Opening up the passing game may open up the run game......we'll see.  I'd like to think we could run or pass on Southern Utah cause they haven't stopped either.

It might be different if Shaugs can consistently get into the mix.