SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at SUU

geaux_sioux

I think for the most part if a defense wants to shut down our run game, they will, cause we don't have the horses to force it down anyone's throat.  Like an old CEO told me, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't shove his head in it."  That said, I think Rudolph has accepted this to a point and starting taking more yards via the pass.  Opening up the passing game may open up the run game......we'll see.  I'd like to think we could run or pass on Southern Utah cause they haven't stopped either.

I agree that Rudolph has realized we need to throw the ball a little to loosen things up, and I think he's called some good games lately.  I think he's realized he needs to, also Joe has improved.....and Bartels looks good, so I think he has a little more comfort in mixing it up a little which does then help the run game.   I wouldn't run the ball much either if I was SUU, I think we are suspect on defense to the pass and teams will be able to move it on us if their QB is on.  However this year at least the defense is capable of making a big play and getting a pick. So even though they may get some passes and yards, hopefully we can bend but not break.  And have our offense score some and run clock. 

Now that the hardest part of the schedule is over, let's play Bartels!  Boy, that sounds fair to Mollberg.  

I hope Joe plays well.  But I also hope if he has a crappy first half and we only have 3 points or something, they aren't afraid to put Bartels in to get a spark. If they supposedly have a weak defense, I sure hope we have 10 points at a minimum by half time.

Last time UND defeated SUU in Cedar City was 2011 and UND's running game went off with Jake Miller. Same thing has to happen for UND to win this Saturday; UND has to be able to run the ball because it will help out the defense against a pass happy, rhythm-emphasized offense of SUU. Also, of course, running the ball effectively prevents turnovers and results in touchdowns. Have to hope SUU's defense won't be as stout as most of the defenses UND has faced thus far.

Judging off SUU's last game, where Idaho State scored 56 -albeit mostly through the air, SUU doesn't appear to have a juggernaut defense.

UND should be able to run the ball, SUU is 81st in scoring defense and 2nd to last in Rush Defense. They are horrible against the rush. Giving up over 270 yards a game on the ground.

Ban the troll!!!

Only kidding, just wanted to draw attention to your post as an example that not all bison fan posts are trolling posts.

Back on topic, I really hope Shaugaby is able to go this week. Would be nice to have three options at RB.

Also, I've asked this question before, as have others, but anyone have insight as to why we haven't seen Patrick Sharp get any carries?

Ban the troll!!!

Only kidding, just wanted to draw attention to your post as an example that not all bison fan posts are trolling posts.

Back on topic, I really hope Shaugaby is able to go this week. Would be nice to have three options at RB.

Also, I've asked this question before, as have others, but anyone have insight as to why we haven't seen Patrick Sharp get any carries?

If UND's offensive line is opening up holes, it would be great to just rotate 3 backs (Norberg, Shaugabay, and Garman) and continually pound the ball. If UND can do that, they'll win this game. 

As for Patrick Sharp, I'm not sure why he hasn't got his chance yet. He may be a little green when it comes to the playbook and/or they don't trust his ball protection skills. Just taking a guess....

UND should be able to run the ball, SUU is 81st in scoring defense and 2nd to last in Rush Defense.  They are horrible against the rush.  Giving up over 270 yards a game on the ground.

That number might be a little skewed as Cal Poly put up 470 (going off memory) rushing yards or something crazy against SUU......and that's an unconventional running attack.  But overall point taken, we should be able to muster at least 150/ground, 150/air, or it will be a disappointment.

This game actually scares me a little bit because the biggest weakness our defense has shown is the pass defense.  Now, it is miles ahead of the Chavon Mackey led unit of last year, but we've still shown times where we are susceptible to the pass.  I do think UND has a great shot at winning and getting the offense going, but playing pass happy teams scares me.

If UND's offensive line is opening up holes, it would be great to just rotate 3 backs (Norberg, Shaugabay, and Garman) and continually pound the ball. If UND can do that, they'll win this game. 

As for Patrick Sharp, I'm not sure why he hasn't got his chance yet. He may be a little green when it comes to the playbook and/or they don't trust his ball protection skills. Just taking a guess....

That's as good of a guess as any.  I was just really surprised that we chose to convert a linebacker and not only start him ahead of Sharp, but to give him all of the carries.  Either Sharp is going to be a heck of a project to try to get on the field or I don't see him remaining with the team.  Unless there is some type of injury holding him back.

This game actually scares me a little bit because the biggest weakness our defense has shown is the pass defense.  Now, it is miles ahead of the Chavon Mackey led unit of last year, but we've still shown times where we are susceptible to the pass.  I do think UND has a great shot at winning and getting the offense going, but playing pass happy teams scares me.

We just need to limit big plays I think. The biggest play for Portland St was where qb escaped and the cb missed a tackle. Does their qb run a lot? If not, I'm not all that scared because I think he'll have to take some hits then. I think we are all right against the pass while the qb is in the pocket.

That's as good of a guess as any.  I was just really surprised that we chose to convert a linebacker and not only start him ahead of Sharp, but to give him all of the carries.  Either Sharp is going to be a heck of a project to try to get on the field or I don't see him remaining with the team.  Unless there is some type of injury holding him back.

I paid particular attention to him during warmups before the PSU game, because I have been curious as to why he never plays, even as a kick returner. FWIW, he did not appear to be injured. He does seem to have some pretty good speed and quickness, but an inability to get on the field this year does not seem to bode well for him. Even with the losses of Shaugabay and Garman, the competition for playing time is not going to get any easier with the addition of Oliveira and probably several others next year, along with presumably the return of Simmons.

I paid particular attention to him during warmups before the PSU game, because I have been curious as to why he never plays, even as a kick returner. FWIW, he did not appear to be injured. He does seem to have some pretty good speed and quickness, but an inability to get on the field this year does not seem to bode well for him. Even with the losses of Shaugabay and Garman, the competition for playing time is not going to get any easier with the addition of Oliveira and probably several others next year, along with presumably the return of Simmons.

If Sharp doesn't get on the field this year, hard to say he ever will, and that has to do more with the RB depth than anything. 

Ditto that!  I think they will be able to move the ball on us, we just need to come up with that timely sack, batted down ball, or pick.

About Sharp, or any other player, the answer is the same.  The coaches will play the player that gives them the best chance to win, judged by them.  So ability and performance are the criteria, mixed in with character.  We have a punter that 'didn't tell the truth about his eligibility' yet talent wise is a better punter than the freshman.  And, we have someone on the d-line with talent, but with some character issues, and his playing time has been affected.  With Sharp, I don't know of any character issues, so I have to conclude the coaches are more confident in the other backs as far as ability and performance.