SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

With all the smaller schools adding hockey recently.  Are there any schools in the Dallas/Texas are that are more particularily suited than others to give D1 hockey a go?  Any schools that could play in a hypothetical new southern conference with the likes of Tennessee State, UAH, Georgia, and Lindenwood?  Maybe a D2 school even?

I'd like to see just an independent tourney for an autobid. Don't try to shoehorn all these teams into existing conferences. The autobid is key to survival, but if independents can schedule geographically appropriate games they will he fine. For the Alaska schools the exempt games are a big bonus.  Alabama in the winter also a nice spot especially if it isn't every year

If all leagues went to 22 or 24 game conference schedules that would enhance things more. If the leagues all expand with the new teams interconference games decline and that isn't good for anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

I'd like to see just an independent tourney for an autobid. Don't try to shoehorn all these teams into existing conferences. The autobid is key to survival, but if independents can schedule geographically appropriate games they will he fine. For the Alaska schools the exempt games are a big bonus.  Alabama in the winter also a mice spot especially if it isn't every year

If all leagues went to 22 or 24 game conference schedules that would enhance things more. If the leagues all expand with the new teams interconference games decline and that isn't good for anyone. 

Lindenwood is right near the airport with a good arena for hosting tournaments, ans further demonstrates the viability of college teams using practice facilities. Vanderbilt, SJSU, NJIT and anything else in immediate proximity of them. And of course, ASU hosting an NHL team...

As I ventured into Twitter, since I’m bored, I see these club teams making posts of their new arenas or moving up to NCAA D1. Then I noticed the date, damn you Vanderbilt, FAU, Ole Miss, Villanova, and South Carolina. Boy, did people fall for it, and some were pretty elaborate using Arizona State, Arizona, and Maine arenas. 

Well played, well played

Looks like a new arena will be built at the Oklahama Fairgrounds in Oklahoma City.  About 20 minutes from the University of Central Oklahoma, which is a ACHA D1 power.  Location isn't idea, but the fairgrounds are right next to downtown Oklahoma City, which could help with drawing casual fans.  Nothing related to Central Oklahoma or hockey was mentioned in the article I read.  Just throwing it out there because it's a new arena that is a good size for a D1 hockey program, and Central Oklahoma could conceivably be interested in NCAA hockey. 

• Upvote 1

Norman is 20 miles away and OU just hit the SEC money lottery.

I fully expect SEC schools like Georgia and a few others to start D1 programs before Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, and the rest of the Big Ten get around to it.  Texas or A&M starting a program would not shock me at all.

You can only spend so much on football but, if we're going that route, hockey is one of the few revenue positive sports.  So adding hockey would make a few more bucks to toss into the football coffers.  Or use the hockey revenue to pay for women's sports and less football money going to support them.  Either way, more money for SEC football.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Looks like a new arena will be built at the Oklahama Fairgrounds in Oklahoma City.  About 20 minutes from the University of Central Oklahoma, which is a ACHA D1 power.  Location isn't idea, but the fairgrounds are right next to downtown Oklahoma City, which could help with drawing casual fans.  Nothing related to Central Oklahoma or hockey was mentioned in the article I read.  Just throwing it out there because it's a new arena that is a good size for a D1 hockey program, and Central Oklahoma could conceivably be interested in NCAA hockey. 

But will it have ice capacity? Unless I missed it, there was no video or any description of ice use. It will be a very nice Rodeo facility

4 hours ago, northernraider said:

But will it have ice capacity? Unless I missed it, there was no video or any description of ice use. It will be a very nice Rodeo facility

I didn't see anything about that either, which is why I mentioned that also.  I'd guess that would be highly unlikely, but I made the post because I believe it's still in the planning phase, so there is still theoretically time for UCO to get involved in the process.  The whole thing is a long shot, but this is a college hockey expansion thread and most of the discussions about this are lol.  Given that LIU added hockey, who knows how the next program will come about.  I'm 100% not saying that this is something that will happen with UCO.  Intent was to just say there is potential there.  We're on the same page.

I remember when Valley City would put ice into the Winter Show building rodeo arena. Hockey players (and officials) and rodeo riders using the same changing space creates a most disturbing aroma over time. (I'd change into stripes and skates by the snack bar/cafe to avoid it.)

That's my warning to OKC: Overspend on ventilation. ;) 

On 4/22/2022 at 1:43 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I remember when Valley City would put ice into the Winter Show building rodeo arena. Hockey players (and officials) and rodeo riders using the same changing space creates a most disturbing aroma over time. (I'd change into stripes and skates by the snack bar/cafe to avoid it.)

That's my warning to OKC: Overspend on ventilation. ;) 

I don't think they had that problem at the Coliseum on the MN State Fair Grounds, still really hate the arenas where there is a ton of open space between the boards and stands, at least the MN State Fair Coliseum could have some removable bleachers put in to take seating right up to the boards.

UAH Update.... One of the guys funding UAH hockey was on the radio yesterday and it's an interesting listen.  He says UAH currently has $17 million lined up and the program would have an annual budget of 1.8 million, and they still plan to restart hockey if they can get into or create a conference. Sounds like the coaches of all of the independent schools got together on a conference call to discuss the potential of a new D1 conference, and UAH was included as well. He doesn't say that anything is imminent, but it is proof of actual discussions in regard to the creation of a new conference.
https://977espn.com/assets/podcaster/176...mp3#t=1765

• Upvote 3

On 4/10/2022 at 2:30 PM, nodakvindy said:

I'd like to see just an independent tourney for an autobid. Don't try to shoehorn all these teams into existing conferences. The autobid is key to survival, but if independents can schedule geographically appropriate games they will he fine. For the Alaska schools the exempt games are a big bonus.  Alabama in the winter also a nice spot especially if it isn't every year

Hmm. Perhaps they could form a conference of sorts that played bubble like tournaments with rotating hosts. Would cut down on the travel costs for the geographically separated schools.