SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 4: UND vs. Stony Brook Seawolves

homer

Let's not get too high on the defense....just last week our offense AND defense sucked.

They were pretty darn good last week for the first two and half quarters.  They just end up being on the field so much, it has to be both exhausting and frustrating.

I'm not ready to compare them to the 1985 Chicago Bears, but I think the D has been pretty darn good for 10 out of the last 12 quarters they have played.  I know Stony Brook isn't Eastern Washington offensively, but tonight was the most impressed I've been with a UND defense since maybe 2007.

Now, offensively it is hideous to watch.  I have to give Rudolph and Bubba credit, they are certainly persistent.  The play of the O-Line and the QB is definately lacking to put generously.  If the O-Line could get some push, it would help all areas.  I think that is a bigger problem than the QB play right now. 

• Upvote 1

They were pretty darn good last week for the first two and half quarters.  They just end up being on the field so much, it has to be both exhausting and frustrating.

I'm not ready to compare them to the 1985 Chicago Bears, but I think the D has been pretty darn good for 10 out of the last 12 quarters they have played.  I know Stony Brook isn't Eastern Washington offensively, but tonight was the most impressed I've been with a UND defense since maybe 2007.

Now, offensively it is hideous to watch.  I have to give Rudolph and Bubba credit, they are certainly persistent.  The play of the O-Line and the QB is definately lacking to put generously.  If the O-Line could get some push, it would help all areas.  I think that is a bigger problem than the QB play right now. 

You are right, we can't just put in another entire O line - we can, however, put in a different quarterback.  We are showing serious signs of being foolishly stubborn on the offensive side of the ball.  

• Upvote 2

You are right, we can't just put in another entire O line - we can, however, put in a different quarterback.  We are showing serious signs of being foolishly stubborn on the offensive side of the ball.

Exactly. They need to change up the offensive philosophy or watch us get blown out. Better now after a win and early in the season.

Exactly. They need to change up the offensive philosophy or watch us get blown out. Better now after a win and early in the season.

I agree.   most big sky teams are scoring 30 points a game by accident.   Our offense is averaging what.... 8ppg?    i'm afraid most conference games will have the feel of the Missouri State game....  where the defense does ok for awhile, but just can't be expected to handle the poor field position hand they'll be dealt by the offense, and will get worn down by these high flying big sky offenses.

Didn't see or hear Jenkins-Moore's name tonight.  Wonder if he was hurt or if he has dropped down on the depth chart.

That's the best defensive game I've seen UND play in 6 or 7 years.  Several of our defenders played like animals tonight.  As Taj Rich said, they all came to play tonight.

Two good things about the offense:  Dev Ferguson can be a player if given a chance, and Norberg filled in admirably.

With Taj Rich only a sophomore, he'll be relied on in the years ahead.  Seemed to be a breakout game for him.

Stony Brook is going to get torched in the CAA.  It's only the second year for them in that league, but they might have more work cut out for them than Bubba and the crew.

Wait. What happened to all the enthusiasm  to "pound the rock?" You know, grind out yards on the ground, eat up the clock and keep the opposing offense off the field. Four games into a rebuilding year and everyone's ready to jump ship?

When your leading ball carrier averages less than 2 yards per carry, there's obviously a problem. And that's not a knock on Norberg. How many running plays were blown up in the backfield? How many pass attempts came on third and eight? The reality is if you can't get effective offensive line play there isn't much that's going to work well or consistently. ONE new Juco offensive linemen was brought in during off season (not counting true freshman) and somehow people are surprised the running game looks a lot like last year's, except with more attempts.

Aside from the one pretty TD pass, Mollberg wasn't stellar tonight  --  overthrew a potential touch down in the first half and shorted a possible catch in the second -- but two other passes went off or through receivers' hands and, really, how much impact can you have  when you attempt just seven passes in an entire game. Those are Goska-esqe passing numbers.

What changes in offensive philosophy do people on this board think would be effective with the current players on the roster? Ramp up the passing attempts? (Mussman was tarred and feathered on this board for promoting that kind of "soft" offense.) More trickeration? And somebody please tell me how long Bartels, a drop-back passer, would last with the current protection.

Wait. What happened to all the enthusiasm  to "pound the rock?" You know, grind out yards on the ground, eat up the clock and keep the opposing offense off the field. Four games into a rebuilding year and everyone's ready to jump ship?

When your leading ball carrier averages less than 2 yards per carry, there's obviously a problem. And that's not a knock on Norberg. How many running plays were blown up in the backfield? How many pass attempts came on third and eight? The reality is if you can't get effective offensive line play there isn't much that's going to work well or consistently. ONE new Juco offensive linemen was brought in during off season (not counting true freshman) and somehow people are surprised the running game looks a lot like last year's, except with more attempts.

Aside from the one pretty TD pass, Mollberg wasn't stellar tonight  --  overthrew a potential touch down in the first half and shorted a possible catch in the second -- but two other passes went off or through receivers' hands and, really, how much impact can you have  when you attempt just seven passes in an entire game. Those are Goska-esqe passing numbers.

What changes in offensive philosophy do people on this board think would be effective with the current players on the roster? Ramp up the passing attempts? (Mussman was tarred and feathered on this board for promoting that kind of "soft" offense.) More trickeration? And somebody please tell me how long Bartels, a drop-back passer, would last with the current protection.

While I agree with many of your points, I shouldn't be able to sit in my livingroom and score 100% on the old QB1 game in predicting our offensive play calls. So obviously Bubba and Rudolph have no confidence in Mollberg to throw and our offensive line to protect......then I truly believe Mollberg should of had 12-15 designed runs tonight to at least try and take a little heat off Norberg. I like this kid running the ball but when 7041 people know he is going to run how effective can he be? I like the fact that he hits the hole hard and always runs north south....but give him a fighting chance.

Not getting push in one bad thing but I can't figure out how on several run plays they couldn't get blocking assignments figured out.  It isn't always easy but you certainly should be leaving the DT at the point of attack unblocked.  The offensive line is pretty bad, but if we had a QB that was at least mildly efficient it would take a lot of pressure off the run game and defense.  We should at least be able to consistently complete a few short passes but to this point it isn't happening.  It is to the point that Mollberg leaves the pocket even when he has protection.  I also think he doesn't recognize blitz when it's coming most of the time. 

To whoever said made a crack about the offense, you are not seeing the big picture.  The philosophy is for this to be a defensive team and the offense needs to be able to pound the rock to help keep the defense fresh.  The problem is that it is very clear the UND doesn't have near the talent on offense to accomplish much in the running or passing game.   I think it will be at least two season before the offense even looks decent.  It's not about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's.  It isn't that anything is really wrong with the offensive system, we just have a serious issue with talent and execution right now. 

The defense still has a lot to clean up and work on but they had a good/great game overall and it is crazy how much better they are compared to the last several years. 

The defense is vastly improved. Holding SB to 3 dropped the ppg average from 31 to 24. Unfortunately they won't hold the Cats to 24 next week. With the play of our offense next weeks game will have a similar look to MSU.

Attendance was 7,030.

That is pretty pretty bad for the second home game of the year.

Probably looking at the worst attendance for a season since the Alerus opened.

I'm guessing 9K show up for the Griz game... after that one getting 7K to show up for any remaining game will be a stretch.

Wait. What happened to all the enthusiasm to "pound the rock?" You know, grind out yards on the ground, eat up the clock and keep the opposing offense off the field. Four games into a rebuilding year and everyone's ready to jump ship?

Aside from the one pretty TD pass, Mollberg wasn't stellar tonight -- overthrew a potential touch down in the first half and shorted a possible catch in the second -- but two other passes went off or through receivers' hands and, really, how much impact can you have when you attempt just seven passes in an entire game. Those are Goska-esqe passing numbers.

I would at least like to see a bubble screen thrown in here and there in an attempt to keep the defense somewhat on their toes.

Goska would be a welcomed upgrade in my opinion.

I think the play calling is proof that the staff has zero confidence in the offenses ability to throw the ball........

Attendance was 7,030.

That is pretty pretty bad for the second home game of the year.

Probably looking at the worst attendance for a season since the Alerus opened.

I won't pick on anyone in particular but building a new 25,000-35,000 seat stadium and "moving up" to FBS should not even be remotely included in a discussion anywhere.

Just over 7,000...that's really sad. I'm sure the coaches and players all know that this is a monster rebuild...but the team could sure use some support from the locals.

What sucks is after that beautifully thrown bomb to Ferguson I thought the monkey was off Joes back and the offense would be in business..... That obviously didn't happen. Idk what it's going to take to get joe confident in his arm again. If we can kind of pass the ball we could become a dangerous team, til then the d will have to keep scoring tds and pitching near shutouts.

Speaking of, Taj Rich has come full circle, he seems like he now had the perfect attitude. He said they weren't good enough last night and that they need to actually give up 0 points. I love that attitude, it will go a long long way.