SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 4: UND vs. Stony Brook Seawolves

homer

Last year people were complaining about the musical chairs at qb. Now after 2 games (it started last week and even some after week 1), the chorus starts up. Whether you agree with Coach Schweigert, Coach Rudolph or the choice at qb, 3 games will not turn the Titanic around. Not convinced that this is the way to go (actually personally I do not), but It took years to put the Sioux football team in this position.

On the other hand, gfhockey, are the good ol' boys happy with forcing their choice of Schweigert as the GC?

I would agree that it's a bit too early to pull Mollberg.  What happens if you put Bartles in and he isn't any better?  Go back to Mollberg, pull the redshirt on Studsrud?  We know we aren't making the playoffs this year.  Give Mollberg a chance to take his lumps and see if he progresses.  If it's the same mistakes, turnovers during game 6 or 7, then pull him and see what Bartles can do the last half of the year.  I know Mollberg is making alot of the same mistakes as last year.  But there's a new offense this year and a bunch of new players.  I think he deserves a few more games before we write him off.

Not sure what to make of stony brook this year, played uconn tough, lost to 3-0 bryant, played someone I have never heard of last week.  Haven't scored many points or allowed many.  Marcus coker was starting RB at iowa and was pretty good before transferring for academics.

17-3 stony brook.

Read between the lines.  It tells you how bad Bartles must be.

Except we got to watch both last year and judge for ourselves....in game situations.

and I Believe this stat belongs to Bartles not Mollberg.

Set a UND freshman record for completions, attempts, yards, and touchdowns in one game.

Last year Bartles only started four games but threw more touchdown passes than Mollberg who started seven games. 

.and some how Bartles is the backup?

The last two coaching staffs seem to have fallen into the"molberg trap" Recruited by many schools, the best recruiting 20 years, lots of hype, Mus would have made his profile picture our new team logo. His physical tools have blinded the coaching staff, probably easy to do in thie three-quarter speed quarterback reps they get in practice. Not too hard to look good when you're practicing with the ones offense against the three defense. We'll see how he does this week against a weaker opponent. If it's bad, change it up! So what if our other QBs don't do any better. At least you're trying something different

I've never been a big fan of Mollberg, Bartles is simply a better QB on the field.    Mollberg needs to sit out a game and maybe he'll be more hungry if/when he gets back in.   Next thing, if Bubba is going to pull Studsruds shirt, he should do it soon or it won't pay.

Based on Mollberg starting and presumably playing most or all the game, I'll say 24-9 Stony Brook.

2-deep changes for the week:

Offense

Cerriteno listed as back-up WR at the Z position

Mathewson replaces Ruhe as back-up TE (Ruhe out for year)

Garman still listed as #1 RB, Shaugabay at the #2 spot

Defense

Only 2 NG and RDE listed - last week 3 were listed at each with Walker and Cheatom being listed at the #2 spot respectively. Neither is listed this week

Hinojosa listed as starting NG (injured last week)

Reyes not listed at all, still hoping he is back for the game

Special Teams

Freshman Holmen takes over starting long-snapping duties

McGill #2 PR taking Edmunds spot

Walker #2 KR taking Tillman's spot

I don't believe this because I saw him outplay Molberg on the field last year.

Depends on which game you watched.  Certainly not S. Dak. State game. That isn't fair to Bartles to select which games to compare nor to Mollberg. They both ahd their ups and downs last year. Mollberg had been the starter coming out of spring ball as RSF then Bartles was named the starter at the beginning of last year. He didn't do anything to keep the starting postion so Mollberg became the starter. When the team couldn't move the ball effectively, Bartles got the job back.  It isn't as if Bartles hasn't had the opportunity to be the starting QB. These guys aren't playing against each other, they play against the defense of our opponent and neither has been able to consistently  carry this team.  The rotating QB's didn't work last year and Bubba won't make a change unless he is convinced Mollberg isn't going to play at this level. Mollberg stayed last year as the #2 guy and earned the job back.  IF Bartles is going to bail if isn't starting that may be a factor. If he is good enough he can earn it back but it won't be decided cuz of fan bias either way.

If our offense is going to be having the QB stay in the pocket and throw then without a doubt Bartles is the guy who should be quarterback.....if we are going to move the pocket and have the QB move around a bit, maybe mix in a little read option and call plays where the QB is designed to run the ball then Mollberg is the guy.....right now it seems like we are going with plan A and option B.

Depends on which game you watched.  Certainly not S. Dak. State game. That isn't fair to Bartles to select which games to compare nor to Mollberg. They both ahd their ups and downs last year. Mollberg had been the starter coming out of spring ball as RSF then Bartles was named the starter at the beginning of last year. He didn't do anything to keep the starting postion so Mollberg became the starter. When the team couldn't move the ball effectively, Bartles got the job back.  It isn't as if Bartles hasn't had the opportunity to be the starting QB. These guys aren't playing against each other, they play against the defense of our opponent and neither has been able to consistently  carry this team.  The rotating QB's didn't work last year and Bubba won't make a change unless he is convinced Mollberg isn't going to play at this level. Mollberg stayed last year as the #2 guy and earned the job back.  IF Bartles is going to bail if isn't starting that may be a factor. If he is good enough he can earn it back but it won't be decided cuz of fan bias either way.

1st off, no one feels worse than the actual player(s) themselves when they have a bad game.....or a series of bad games (our QB's).  I know these are good kids giving everything they have.  UND is in a tough spot.  Both QBs have under performed, especially to our expectations but I don't think we have any other option this year other than giving Mollberg a few more games, and if that isn't working, go with Bartels to finish up.  I've heard Studsrud has the mobility that we want/need, not sure on his arm, but I'd hate to see Studsrud handed the reigns under the current set of circumstances.  It's a tough spot to be in for the coaches.  I'm pulling for Mollberg if he is in the game.  If Bartles is in the game I'm pulling for him.  If neither perform this year, we might have a couple Josh Morton's on our hands.

• Upvote 4

1st off, no one feels worse than the actual player(s) themselves when they have a bad game.....or a series of bad games (our QB's).  I know these are good kids giving everything they have.  UND is in a tough spot.  Both QBs have under performed, especially to our expectations but I don't think we have any other option this year other than giving Mollberg a few more games, and if that isn't working, go with Bartels to finish up.  I've heard Studsrud has the mobility that we want/need, not sure on his arm, but I'd hate to see Studsrud handed the reigns under the current set of circumstances.  It's a tough spot to be in for the coaches.  I'm pulling for Mollberg if he is in the game.  If Bartles is in the game I'm pulling for him.  If neither perform this year, we might have a couple Josh Morton's on our hands.

I'm not sure that last comment was necessary (or very classy).  Apples and oranges - Josh was a walk-on!

Agree it won't be decided by fans - fans will, however, continue to express their opinions.  In my opinion, Bartles body of work last year was a notch above Molbergs, although neither particulairly distinguished themselves.  It is hard to imagine a quarterback having a worse first three games than Molberg.  In addition to ineffective passing, the guy is a turnover machine.  My point was that it doesn't appear that Bartles has the chance to earn the job back based on what I have seen so far. At some point he needs to ask "what has to happen for me to get a chance?"  In all of the games he played last year and this year I have not seen anything from Molberg that indicates he is the guy.  If this was any other position he would have been benched already.